1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Gen 3 can install denso tpms ?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Kwm488, Mar 1, 2023.

1. Kwm488

Kwm488 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi

I own 2010 Prius gen3 without tpms. I want to buy Toyota or denso tpms. But I can’t find the tire pressure option in the teachstream. Moreover, my car looks like no the tpms warning light in the dash board.

can anyone give me some suggestion?

Attached Files:

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm noting you're in Hong Kong. I'm not sure what options the car would have there I think the TPMS is in a different part of the text stream but I'm not positive of that for this model I'd have to plug up my text stream and go out and look.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The TPMS sensors are made by pacific not nippondenso.a tire store should be able to tell you i you have tpms signal output from the car at all.

4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I think this is a BAD idea......at least the way you are approaching it.
    Trying to make an "internal" system work would be:
    Too expensive.
    Too difficult.
    Might not work in the end.

You would be MUCH better off installing an "external" system, with sensors that screw onto the tire stems and have their own separate monitor.

Do a Google search for Tire Pressure monitors.

5. Kwm488

Kwm488 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you everyone

I agree. I better to add an external tire pressure system. I have it before. But it stick to the tire value due to the rust problem. I move from Hong Kong to UK. The wether and the road salt problem.

moreover, my car don’t have parking sensor. I want to install genuine Toyota parking sensor. Did anyone do it before?

6. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    What exactly is it that you are calling a "parking sensor" ??

It sounds to me VERY much like you need to be shopping for a different, newer car that already HAS all the features that you want.

7. howardc64

howardc64 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2011 Prius needed TPMS. Purchased Amazon fulfilled (not 3rd party seller on amazon) Denso. Manufacturer is Pacific (at least currently). There are very few trust worthy pictures online of latest Toyota OEM TPMS sensors but a few from toyota dealer online websites, looks identical to what came out of the genuine Denso box.

https://parts.longotoyota.com/oem-parts/toyota-tire-pressure-monitoring-system-sensor-4260733012
    https://parts.olathetoyota.com/oem-parts/toyota-tire-pressure-monitoring-system-sensor-4260733012
    https://parts.toyotadm.com/oem-parts/toyota-tire-pressure-monitoring-system-sensor-4260733012

Searched for better pics from Toyota dealers online but were not successful.

All the ebay used Toyota 42607-33012 (more likely to be genuine than super cheap new ones) looks identical as well.

IMG_1066.jpeg Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 3.47.04 PM.png Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 3.47.24 PM.png Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 3.50.42 PM.png Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 3.50.59 PM.png

Directions does say require drop to 20psi and refill back up to desired tire psi to activate the sensor.

amazon had the lowest price on this Denso part. $32/each.

#7 howardc64, Oct 16, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2023
  8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The Pacific sensors are not made by nipend dental so they must be buying them and reboxing them these exact sensors that you're looking at I bought a whole set of four for $49 they have the same writing stamping and everything I blew these up to look at them same instructions and everything of course mine are going in a generation too so might have to green Pacific logo these look like there's no color I don't even see the Pacific logo which is in well look at the back of your center caps and you'll see the Pacific logo It's smaller on the TPMS centers and it comes in red and green I'm not sure what the difference is in the colors I just bought the same color that the car came with my car with the green Good luck.

9. howardc64

howardc64 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, Pacific Indusrial Co Ltd is a $2B/year revenue company with 5000 people. They are not subsidiary of Toyota/Denso as far as I can tell

Pacific Industrial Co Ltd, 7250:TYO profile - FT.com

So Denso must be repacking them as you suggest. I wasn't as confident buying the cheaper ones from no name brands and small sellers that didn't look identical to the few lower resolution pics I could find from Toyota dealers. I thought Denso from bigger online stores (amazon fulfillment, rockauto) that were all similar price point was a good choice. Was surprised to find Pacific sensor inside the box.

Also posted more pic of the sensor in original post #7 since priuschat seems to only display fairly limited resolution pics.

#9 howardc64, Oct 16, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2023
  10. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It appears the op’s Hong Kong car does not have a TPMS ecu/receiver which normally means no wiring to the back right mounting location and no software support.

There are aftermarket recovers/displays that will read the internal to the tire 315mhz sensors.

11. howardc64

howardc64 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    10/26/23 UPDATE

Denso packaged (made by Pacific Industrial Co Ltd) TPMS installed by Costco
    • 2011 Prius
    • DENSO PN 550-0103 Amazon fulfilled ~$30/each
    • Costco Installation tool activated sensor and programmed into Prius via OBD2. They didn't seem to need to do the 30psi->20psi pressure drop to trigger activation.
    Attached pic are the 4 TPMS that was installed along with TechStream showing their matching IDs after Costco install. Maybe the subsampled attached images are hard to read on Priuschat but they match.

2011 OEM TPMS battery extraction

Took apart the old TPMS with dead battery.
    • Rear black plastic plate secured by 2 plastic tabs. Easy to pop off, Maybe heat melt to secure during install. Not sure if necessary to reinstall. New TPMS sensor has no plastic plate covering the clear color sealant.
    • White sealant (seems like Silicone sealant material, I guess to keep moisture out) very easy to scrap off
    • Flat exacto blade took awhile to cut loose the battery weld. Bottom one is more challenging.
    • Battery is Panasonic BR2450A. Data sheet link
    • Replacing battery probably best use a battery spot welder (I have lithium ion battery powered spot welder for welding iPhone battery cores to the original battery's BMS (Battery Management System) Note I've never been able to achieve welds are good as original using spot welder. Actually generally much weaker weld so don't know how that will hold up in a spinning vibrating environment,

IMG_1084.jpeg IMG_1085.jpeg Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 5.52.48 PM.png IMG_1090.jpeg

#11 howardc64, Oct 26, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2023
  12. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Just driving past 20mph turns them on or use a tool that causes them to transmit. It’s not really an “activation”. The vehicle ecu does need the new sensor ids.

howardc64 likes this.