1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius goes into neutral automatically

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by MaliciousH, Sep 13, 2012.

1. MaliciousH

MaliciousH New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Howdy folks. Tonight I got word from my mother, who was the driver at the time, that our Prius shifted into neutral while she was trying to back up. It shifted when she went onto the incline to our driveway. While researching the problem, I got lead into this forum.

I found an old thread for the Gen II here:
    2008 Prius shifts back to neutral & won't stay in drive/revPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:04 am | PriusChat

I also found one for a 2011 Prius here:
    Park button will not work; car pops into neutral while driving | PriusChat

From what I gathered, all three of us suffers/ed from the same problem. However there doesn't seem to be a TSB for 2010 or newer Prius. My mileage as of tonight is 78003... So I'm guessing I'm out of luck if it is that problem, warranty wise? Should I try to make a video to confirm the problem since I am going to try to get the problem sometime tomorrow.

Any help is appreciated.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you should test your 12 volt battery.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Never assume that Toyota won't cover a malfunction component. It is always worth a try.
    Welcome aboard by the way!

4. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I know if I'm too fast on the handle it will bounce back out of drive in to revearse. Or just back into neutral.