1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius: Gurgling/Pinging/Rattling Sound From Passenger Rear (with video)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Madjik_Man, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Car was on, the ICE was off.

Noticed this strange sound coming from the passenger rear. In the video you can see me point to a spot on the body, this is where I think the sound is coming from, and certainly where I "felt" it the most. I also put the phone inside the rear passenger wheel well where you can hear it the most. Sounds like it is coming from inside the cabin, but I do not know for sure.

I test drove the car, came back, got out with it running waited for the ICE to turn off and didn't hear the noise again.

I turned off the car, waited a while, turned it back on, opened up the hatch, removed all the trays and such to see if it's coming from the 12v battery and NiMH battery and did not hear it again.

I apologize for starting a new thread on this but I searched and did not see anything like it.

Kind of crapping myself with this noise.... I'm not used to a Prius at all (bought it in February) so I have no clue what is normal or not.

Thank you.

#1 Madjik_Man, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  2. b100

b100 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No its not the battery, i think you should check the battery cooling fan.

Madjik_Man likes this.
  3. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The only moving object back there is a fan which cools the traction battery. Maybe when that fan comes on, some piece of paper or something is flapping around. Otherwise, if the vehicle is standing still, I don't see what could be making noise. If the vehicle is moving, it's another story; all kinds of things can cause rattling in a moving vehicle, but not when it's standing still.

There's a battery fan cleaning video in this thread:
    Nutz About Bolts Prius Maintenance Videos | PriusChat

Madjik_Man likes this.
  4. Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thank you both.

Will report back.

Raytheeagle likes this.