1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius head gasket and water pump. Any advice as to where to buy the parts?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Cameron Edwards, Jul 10, 2021.

1. Cameron Edwards

Cameron Edwards Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have cleaned EGR system and intake manifold. It stopped using oil after I did all that, but just started using oil again. Now it seems head gasket is blown and been told it needs water pump.
    I have looked in the spark plug holes and it seems to be a LOT of carbon in cylinder chamber. Is it worth changing head? Would I be better off with replacement engine? What would the cost difference be?
    Car only has 115K

2. wheezyglider

wheezyglider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You need more diagnosis before you go leaping for the headgasket. In your situation the HG is not the top suspect.

Using oil is usually a different problem from the typical early headgasket failure in this car. In that case, it more often leaks coolant into a cylinder. Oil consumption is more associated with valves and rings.

Also, if cleaning your EGR stuff did anything to lessen oil consumption it would probably be because the PCV valve was sticking and you changed it?

douglasjre likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Reading between the lines, someone has told you head gasket is blown? If so, who was that, and did they run some tests?

Leak Down test is best bet I think, to check if head gasket is failing, and how it's failing.

4. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Go on car-part, search "2020 Toyota Prius Engine" vin A or vin B. Buy and toss it in.

You can get one with under 40k miles on it for the same price as a gen 3 with 150-160k miles on it.

http://car-part.com

https://attachments.priuschat.com/attachment-files/2020/02/182535_Gen_4_Engine_into_Gen_3_Prius_Partial_Guide_-_by_PriusChat_member_Alexander_D.pdf