1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius - hit deer - ABS, Traction Control, Regen Brakes, Cruise all lost

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Daddy Dave, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Daddy Dave

Daddy Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've been to the bodyshop for an estimate and the next stop is the Toyota dealer this afternoon. I thought I'd also run it by PriusChat to see if anyone has an opinion on the problem.

I hit a deer really hard with the left front. It folded the bumper back into the left fender and smashed the headlight to bits. I have a scanner but I guess it is just an ECU scanner because it doesn't report any problems with the car. The traction control and ABS lights are on, regenerative braking not working, and cruise control doesn't work. Other than the increased brake pedal pressure from loss of regen, the car drives the same as always. I've only put about 20 miles on it since then. I'd drive it to the north pole tomorrow without a concern in the world.

Any ideas what may have happened?

When I first saw the damage I was wondering if the car was totaled. The bodywork alone is $4600. I'm glad I had full coverage insurance!

116k miles and counting!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Any ideas what may have happened?

You hit a deer :)

Just leave it to your body shop and Toyota dealer to straighten things out, one less thing to worry about.

edthefox5 likes this.
  3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This just sounds like the abs hub sensor (or wiring to) on the left side front is damaged. The car uses the information from all four sensors (one on each wheel) to asses wheel speed. If one is damaged the car does not know the speed of that wheel. The the ABS/VSC/TC and regen braking all require that information.
    Check the condition of the wires coming from the left front hub.
    You need the cheap Mini VCI and an old laptop to read the codes.

John (Britprius)

4. Daddy Dave

Daddy Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I saw your Signature. Yes, we have a perfectly fine Gen II Prius (I don't remember the actual year) that runs great that we'd love to part out! A friend of mine owns it. His son rolled it a couple of months ago. It still drives like new. When he learned the scrap value was only $50 he just parked it next to another friend's barn. I'm sure he'd part it out. We had ideas of doing something with the drivetrain like a hybrid hay wagon. We'll never get to it.

That is a good explanation. I'll look for it later tonight. It would be nice to have ABS now that winter is here with a near-permanent coat of ice and snow on the roads until March.

#4 Daddy Dave, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2015
  5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are you planning on fixing this yourself? Pocket the insurance money and save it for a rainy day?

6. Daddy Dave

Daddy Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    All I plan on doing is reconnecting the ABS sensor wire if I find it. It could have been ripped off. The body shop estimates mid February 2015 before they can get to it. The car is OK until then except for the lack of ABS and regen, etc.

I've had work done at another body shop that does very high quality work. If I had to pay for any of it myself I'd use this other body shop.

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The ABS sensor is fastened to the front of the front bearing hub by a single bolt. It should have wires attached (could have been ripped off) that are fastened to the suspension, and go up to a connector (could be pulled out) on the car wiring loom.

John (Britprius)

Daddy Dave likes this.
  8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I'd say you hit a deer, and now you have significant body damage and evidently a whole lot of symptoms.

To each his own. But with traction control lights on, ABS lights on, and regenerative braking as well as cruise control absent? I wouldn't be driving it to the north pole without concern.

Infact, until I had everything checked out, including potential frame damage, I wouldn't be driving it at all. Sounds unsafe.

9. cmoore50

cmoore50 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would be concerned about your HV battery discharging for an extended period without the regenerative braking. That could possibly damage it if you can't get it in for repairs for a couple of months.

10. Handygeek

Handygeek Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You have the panel on the hatch? The plastic tabs on ours were broken somehow & even super-Velcro doesn't hold well. What about the front grille? Someone mangled ours in a parking lot ... no names ... there may be a plastic piece on the dash we could use ... can we talk direct? handygeek at nevils dash station dot com

11. Daddy Dave

Daddy Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A few photos of the Prius that was rolled. My son has the title in his own name. Nothing in the way of inspections was required. It is not a salvage title. We've driven it at least 100 miles to make sure it is OK. It runs great and averaged 42 mpg which is as expect in the cold weather. It will be driven 1900 miles on Friday and Saturday.

PC310003.JPG PC310004.JPG PC310010.JPG

12. melkisadek

melkisadek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have no words of wisdom to impart and no Prius parts that would be of any use to you. Writing that reminds me that do have a set of ballistic nylon seat covers for the standard 2010 Prius. I respond because I had a near identical experience with a deer strike that made a 40,000 mile Prius an economic wreck. Yes, I mean it was totaled because the cost of repair was too high. Traveling at 65 mph I felt very fortunate to escape totally uninjured. But when the left side of the engine compartment was compacted to a foot from the windshield there wasn't much worth salvaging except my nearly new Michelin tires and the Prius batteries.
    Insurance paid for my purchase of a very nice kept 2007 with over 100,000 miles. If I'd known of a good Prius mechanic in the St. Louis area who didn't work for Toyota I might have tried a work around but that felt like a lost cause. So I traded out my tires, licked my wounds, and wait patiently to see what Toyota will do with the Prius line
    in the next few years.
    No, the 2007 won't wear the seat covers of a 2010 (in case anyone was wondering)

When I saw the damage in the daylight I really didn't know if I'd trust myself to the structural damage in any case.
    I'm glad you faired better. And good luck!

melkisadek

13. Daddy Dave

Daddy Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Update: The damaged Prius in the photo has been driven 5000 miles since the accident. It still runs and drives like new.

14. melkisadek

melkisadek Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You and your posse do nice work!