1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius - How can I tell if side mirrors are heated or not? Need to replace.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by going red baby!, Jan 29, 2022.

1. going red baby!

going red baby! still a n00b

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello! Is there a way to tell if my side mirrors are heated? Someone seems to have taken a baseball bat to my passenger side mirror and I need to replace it. I've never noticed them being heated and if they are, never knew it.

The place I get my car serviced said he always orders heated and they've worked. So does it matter if I know? Shall I just order heated ones? Apparently one has 3 wires and one has 5. So if the heated has 5 and I get those, then does it just not use the extra ones?

Thanks!

(edited to fix typos)

#1 going red baby!, Jan 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The 2nd gen cars from 2004-2009 were all heated. Not sure if they changed it from 2010 onward. But it's a good idea to find a used mirror that's OEM from the manufacturer. They will be much less expensive than new.

You don't want to get aftermarket mirrors, they are mostly inferior and will vibrate when you drive (from the cheaper plastics used to make them)

3. going red baby!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, I'm pretty set on getting aftermarket. Can't justify the price of OEM and don't trust buying used ones. I'm going to replace both since there's some damage on the driver's side door and it cracked the base of the other mirror. I have both of the back covers so I don't have to worry about painting them.

Need to find out if it matters which ones I order. If I can buy the heated ones regardless of whether mine are heated or not.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not sure what would be likely to be wrong with a used one. It's busted or it's not. Maybe specify to the seller that if it's busted you don't want it. :)

A possible wrinkle with aftermarket could be finding out whether the painted back covers you have would fit.

5. going red baby!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm thinking that used ones might not move when trying to adjust them. According to reviews, my back covers will fit the aftermarket ones.

#5 going red baby!, Jan 30, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2022