1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius - how to set the headlights always on?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by LM-HSD, Jul 12, 2012.

1. LM-HSD

LM-HSD New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all! I own an European 2010 Prius. I'd like to be able to have the headlights on when I turn my Prius on (Start/ready position). This is similar to those cars that are sold in northern Europe, where the usage of headlights is mandatory at all times. Does anyone knows how to perform this modification? I called my local Toyota dealer, but they were not very clear on the answer.

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just leave them on. They have auto off so they'll turn off automatically shortly after you exit the car. Just don't mess with the controls after you've powered down the car or auto off won't work.

3. LM-HSD

LM-HSD New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not in mine! If I leave the headlights switch in dipped beams position and then turn the car off, the parking lights will remain on.

4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So I take it Prius sold in Portugal lack auto off, unlike North America Prius? If that's the case, you'd need to do aftermarket.

5. LM-HSD

LM-HSD New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, that's correct. In terms of lights, the Portuguese Prius has some differences:

1) No auto off (the parking lights will remain on)
    2) Even the cheapest trim has front fog lights
    3) In the rear, it has a reverse light on the right hand side and a red fog light on the left hand side, instead of two reverse lights

6. GoldPianoGarden

GoldPianoGarden Bling Meister

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So, if we just leave our headlights on when we shut off the car, there's nothing to worry about cause they'll just shut off by themselves? I've always been petrified of doing that, cause I did that to a truck once, drained the battery, then a cop "helped" try to jump me off......he had the cables crossed.....blew the whole electrical system in the truck. Another one of those things your warranty won't cover! lol

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There should the DRL kits on ebay that you can purchase that will run the high beams (main beam) at a reduced intensity (that's how the Canadian ones are set up).

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In a North American 2010 Prius they default to 30 seconds, the dealer can change that (and other options) to 0 seconds, 60 seconds, or 90 seconds. (I have mine set to 0 seconds, as I park in my garage and the lights come on when the garage door opens. If you had to walk in the dark, you might want 90 seconds)

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM47668U/pdf/sec_06-02.pdf

Page 3 of the PDF, page 589 of the manual

9. LM-HSD

LM-HSD New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That setting is available on my Prius, but I think it refers only to the cars equipped with automatic headlights when in "AUTO" mode.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    US models without automatic headlights have an AUTO-OFF function.

11. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't turned off my headlamps in months, and then only when I want them to be off, like when the car is parked but running.
    It's a daffy setup, but like Kermit the Frog always says....
    "It ain't easy being green."

12. GoldPianoGarden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It is good to know that they shut off, like 32K was kind enough to share earlier. I still hadn't tried it, but if you leave yours on all the time, then I feel safe doing it. I was just somehow suspicious that they might come back on during the weird times of the night that I happen to be in the garage and the car just suddenly starts having electrical noises coming from it. I always assumed that it was recharging or something, but never really knew for sure, as there's so much that a person could never understand or know about our cars. But, it's settled! I'm gonna start leaving mine on.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Usually it's something with the brakes that's producing the noise (the pump I think? I forget). It does that from time to time and I can't remember why but it's that "buzzing" noise that lasts 3-5 secs and happens almost always after (within a minute or so) you shut off the vehicle.

14. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Tideland Prius likes this.
  15. GoldPianoGarden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I work out in my yard late at night after putting my grandmother to bed, and from time to time when I am going back and forth thru the garage to go check on her, I hear it starting to make those weird noises. I never had the slightest clue what it was doing, but just figured it was something to do with the whole battery/charging thing....but what do I know?! lol

16. GoldPianoGarden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And they say only a supercharged V8 can growl... lol.

18. GoldPianoGarden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    u got that right! lol! I was joking around to one of my friends one night about the noises and stuff coming from the Prius sporadically, and he said that a Prius must not need any company.....it could have its own party! lol

Tideland Prius likes this.
  19. tomstodola

tomstodola Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, my Prius makes strange noises. I installed the Phillips LED Daylight 4s as a DRL. They come on for a few seconds when I open my drivers door, but are off before I start the car. When I turn off car and am getting out they come on again for about 10 seconds while the Prius is "doing its thing." You would have to check to see if the aftermarket option like the Phillips will meet the Euro standards.
    My wifes HiHy makes noises like it has a compressor running for a few seconds after it has been shut off.