1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Hybrid Battery Shot -- Options for Replacement?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by torisnacks, Aug 3, 2023.

1. torisnacks

torisnacks New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2010 Prius with 200k miles on it. The hybrid battery went on me yesterday. I brought it for a diagnostic at Toyota, and they told me it would be ~$4,500 to replace. The car isn't even worth that much at this point, so I've been hunting around auto shops.

I found one shop, the guy says he has a Prius with a 2007 hybrid battery that he could put into mine. Was quoting $1,400 for the battery + labor. Does anyone know if an '07 is compatible with a '10? The price seems fair, but I don't want to get this done if there's high risk that I will have issues with it within the next couple of months. I'm looking to get another few years out of my Prius and hoping this can be a solution.

I've also heard of reconditioning but most shops near me won't do them, they say they used to but stopped because the cells would go a few months after being replaced.

Thanks in advance!

Swiick likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    how many more years do you hope to keep it?

you can use gen 2 cells, but at 16 years old, how long will they last?

there are lots of reman companies, but all are iffy. you should be able to get a new oem for around 2k if you call around, maybe find a mech who will install it?

3. torisnacks

torisnacks New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I called a few shops and the Toyota battery they quoted was ~$3k. I'd like to keep it for at least 3 more years. If I could get another 30-50,000 miles out of it I'd be happy. I looked up Green Bean but saw mixed reviews. I liked they do the 3 year warranty and free install, and heard Customer Service is pretty good. But quality is hit or miss. Honestly just looking to drive my Pri Pri into the ground until the market to buy is better (who knows lol).

bisco likes this.
  4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Most of these older batteries are unreliable... This guy rebuilds the best ones: https://2ndlifebattery.com/contact-us/ But at best that's a 3 year lifespan.

However if you or a friend or family member has basic auto repair skills we can walk you through installing an OEM pack that you can usually buy for $2K

Or if you want better MPG, better AC performance and 2010's battery chemistry that's less toxic and safer than OEM's 1990's technology you can buy one of these and if you use my affiliate link I'll give you unlimited tech support: https://projectlithium.com/?ref=9qLPw

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What are new Toyota batteries going for these days, say cash-and-carry at the dealership parts department? Toyota USA parts is a disaster right now. I took a look at Amayama, and this page is showing a couple of parts numbers, towards the bottom of the page:

https://www.amayama.com/en/catalogs/toyota/prius/3-hatchback-right-xw30-2009-2830/electrics-4/battery-battery-cable-333

These prices are what I'm seeing in CDN dollars:

upload_2023-8-3_11-43-58.png

Clicked on the second, and it shows same price, shipping as indicated (CDN $'s) and notes a difference in part number, but likely compatible:

https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/g951076010

upload_2023-8-3_11-49-44.png

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    around two grand here as well, give or take. but some people haven't had much luck with their local dealers who are gouging, and no one will ship.

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Amayama would have it on my doorstep Aug 17~20, for $2040 USD. Fingers crossed it's compatible...

upload_2023-8-3_13-28-24.png

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how do you get the core back?

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hmm, no mention of core charge; I would think you’re free to sell it. Could probably reuse the Amayama crate. :)

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's a toyota oem battery?

11. JohnnyPR

JohnnyPR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Amayama sounds like a good option. Update us, OP.

12. Swiick

Swiick New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hoping the Prius I bought has an OEM battery, from the sound of it the replacement costs make ot a bit of a challenge to decide on a course of action.