1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Hybrid System - Inverter Water Pump & Damaged Transistor / CPU

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by gpk, Jan 10, 2018.

1. gpk

gpk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Took my 2010 Prius IV w/ 112K to the dealer after Hybrid System Check alarm and looking at over $3K in repairs. Trying to decide if it’s worth fixing or just get a new car. I appreciate any input, especially whether the car will at least run without the transistor kit and CPU replacement (not too worried about fuel efficiency at this point, just need wheels). I drove it in to the dealer fine and I have no idea if this dealer is honest, but am bothered to learn their service reps work on commission.

Here are the problems and costs according to the dealer:
    P0A93 - inverter water pump fail
    cpoa03 - circuit over heat

inverter pump parts
    pump $235.5
    coolant $22.88
    plug kit inverter $31.06

circuit over heat parts
    transistor kit $1486.98
    CPU !225.61
    transistor wire $10.52
    trans sensor $50.89
    hw $20.00

8 hours labor $140.00 an hour $1120.00

total $3265.72 before tax

Again any feedback is appreciated! What would you do?

m.wynn likes this.
  2. FrankB

FrankB Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would think the over heat was caused by the inverter pump failure. The inverter pump should definitely be replaced but the circuit should only be worked on if it was damaged by the over heat.

I would strongly be inclined to replace the pump and clear the codes, especially if you are thinking of getting a new car.

m.wynn and gpk like this.
  3. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    go to an independent shop

4. gpk

gpk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks FrankB! I appreciate the input. You’re correct that the water pump failure caused the over heat, and according to the dealer, the circuit (transistor and CPU) was damaged by the over heat. I’d like to know if the Prius will at least run without those functioning, because it was running when I took it in. Again, thanks for the feedback.

5. gpk

gpk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks tankyuong! I definitely want a second opinion but am also afraid to drive it and do damage with a busted inverted pump. Will likely have that fixed and go from there.

6. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  7. gpk

gpk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks padroo! Unfortunately my automotive experience is limited to a few oil changes and one brake job, none of which were on my Prius, or within the last 10 years. So I guess that’s a no. Appreciate the info on the eBay pump, which is slightly cheaper than quoted from dealer. I agree that I shouldn’t continue to drive it, just want to get it home from dealer to decide what to do next, get second opinion, maybe try to fix pump with some help from friends. I’d like to drive it home (approx 15 miles) to avoid towing cost, but also don’t want to do any further damage. Drove it with check hybrid system light for about 4-5 days with no major issues then finally found time to take it to the dealer.

8. FrankB

FrankB Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The inverter pump failed on my wife's 2009 Prius. She drove it to the dealer and they replaced the pump only. I would not drive it far if it was me and either replace the pump myself or have it replaced and go from there.

9. jack black

jack black Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    no major issues? really? didn't you say inverter was damaged?

10. gpk

gpk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No major issues meaning it seemed to drive fine. The check hybrid system alert was in but didn’t go into limp mode.

11. gpk

gpk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks again Frank!

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would ask the dealer for their reasoning in coming to the conclusion that a transistor kit or CPU actually sustained permanent damage needing replacement.

They could perfectly well be right; I just don't see how they get there from only the codes P0A93 and P0A03, as both codes only mean the ECU detected high readings on temperature sensors, which is just what you'd expect it to detect if the pump's stopped.

So I would be curious about what additional information, testing, etc., they relied on when deciding the transistor kit/CPU/etc. are toast.

Without more specific information than I've seen, my inclination might be to replace the pump for sure, and then drive cautiously for a bit and see if overheat codes or other symptoms still appear.

-Chap

13. gpk

gpk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thank you Chap! That’s exactly what I plan to do. The dealer said they wouldn’t replace the pump without replacing the inverter so I drove it home (no issues). I hope to take it to a private dealer to replace the pump without the inverter. Hopefully they’ll do it. The dealer was never able to tell me how they knew for sure that the inverter was toast; said they were only going by the code so hoping it didn’t fry.

Does anyone know if the inverter coolant pump can be replaced from beneath the vehicle without moving the inverter and messing with high voltage? I’d do it myself if I didn’t have to mess with high voltage. Thanks again!

14. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If the inverter was toast you would have a lawn ornament. The fact that the car can be driven points to a failed pump and when the inverter gets too hot it shuts down.

Service writers are paid salary & commission.

m.wynn likes this.
  15. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It might not be "toast" yet, but might be irretrievably headed in that direction. Haven't we seen anecdotes about inverters failing soon (although not immediately) after overheating incidents? Something to do with solder melting or cracking on heat-transfer interfaces?

16. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This!!

Based on the provided codes, the car needs an inverter coolant pump and the dealer needs a BBB fraud investigation:rolleyes:...

Have we seen this?.. IPM failure most often seems to be a story of high load acceleration ending in instantaneous shut-down, or very occasionally, limp mode. Based on the basis of both the E0E flash and the ZE3 warranty, I've always concluded this an issue of too high a current delivery cooking the transistor pack and nothing to do with the coolant circuit.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. gpk

gpk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I really appreciate all of this insight into the issue!! M.Wynn, are you saying that I likely have cooked the transistor pack? Keep in mind I really have no idea what I'm talking about here, trying to learn. I drove the car home from the dealer without going into limp mode, but I think it did go into limp mode one day before I got a chance to take it to the dealer. I've contact Hillmuth a private repair service near my home in Maryland and plan to take it in to see if they'll just fix the inverter coolant pump. Again, thank you all! This is my first experience with actually posting on an online chat service like this, and it's been a good one.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  18. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No, I'm saying you likely HAVE NOT cooked the transistor pack. The codes you have listed only point to a likely bad inverter coolant pump and I'm of the belief that an inverter overheat from lack of cooling is NOT a contributor to IPM (intelligent power module being referred to as "transistor pack") failure. If you had IPM failure, you'd have 1 or more of the following codes: P0A94, P324E, P3004 and/or P0A1A. The potential limp mode you speak of without one of those codes is likely from coolant temp getting too high and the car protecting the inverter for that reason. Ya folly?

If the codes you have provided are indeed all there is to it, I do think your dealer sounds super-duper sketchy. Chap's and FrankB's advice sounds solid to me, get an inverter pump first off and evaluate from there. The codes just don't support any additional damage. And if the car drives fine when cold and only goes limp mode once it's warmed up, that only supports the no inverter damage theory.

#18 m.wynn, Feb 3, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    mjoo and Raytheeagle like this.
  19. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Dan's (latu) Garage:cool::)...

Raytheeagle likes this.
  20. gpk

gpk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    M.wynn, you rock! I really appreciate the time that you and others have put in to help me diagnose this issue. It's so refreshing after dealing with the dealer to get some straight answers from good people. I hope you have a great weekend! I'd buy you a beer if I could.

Raytheeagle likes this.