1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius III MPG Loss - Experts - No Joes Please!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Phantom48volts, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Phantom48volts

Phantom48volts New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Okay Prius Team....I need some real car experts to chime in here. No Prius fans, or joes please, unless you have had the same situation as I'm about to list.

Here is my situation...when my car hit 104k miles, I took it to my very reputable mechanic (not a small one, but large one) and had routine maintenance completed i.e. oil, transmission fluid, spark plugs etc. When I got it back, my MPG's dropped 6-10 MPG to approximately 45MPG. I was averaging 52-55MPG before. So before you provide me your thoughts and expertise...let me provide all of you some facts and findings from my adventure.

- I live in Southern California....weather is not as much of an issue...especially lately.
    - I did change my tires before routine maintenance, but that was approximately 10k miles before with no variance in MPG's. Tires are low resistance and properly inflated.
    - The loss was instant, not gradual and has never recovered.
    - Spark plugs are factory and where rechecked by the dealership to ensure they were installed properly.
    - The 12v was a little low, but not much, and within an acceptable range. Just in case, I replaced it with a Optima Yellow Top. The problem still persisted.
    - All fluids have remained at factory specs.
    - Battery indicator shows the traction battery is adequately charged.
    - There are no check engine lights on.
    - All engine or hybrid recalls were updated after this problem and still did not fix the problem.
    - Brakes are not dragging...in fact the mechanic inspected them and said they were still 50% there at 100k. I drive 70miles one way to work.
    - I don't ever drive in "B'" mode or use my AC a lot. It' s not really necessary

A few situational notes:

- The car takes much longer than normal to warm up in the morning i.e. 10+ minutes.
    - Even when the car engine is warm on a warm day, I've been driving for the last 30 minutes, and the battery is fully charged, the engine will turn on and stay on until I hit the gas and breaking it's cycle of being on.
    - I once pulled into my driveway with the engine running for no reason, and left it running until it turned off. It took almost 20mins to turn off. This point and the last, don't always happen, and are hard to recreate, but I'm sure it's a part of my problem.
    - The lightest touch of the gas pedal sometime triggers the engine to always come on. The practice of stepping on the gas to accelerate, letting off, and then slightly applying doesn't work....it use to.

Okay...so I've taken it to the mechanic and they were not able to find the problem. I then went to the dealership, but I got the lazy response saying if the computer says nothing is wrong then we can't do anything. Well any knucklehead that works around cars knows there is more to a car than the computer. I've been in the car industry (hot rods and classics) for almost 15 years, but I also work with computers and code, so I'm more than familiar with tech. So I'm confident when my intuition tells me something is wrong, and I've done just about everything that can be thought about on the surface. This all leads me to the big question below.

If the computer says nothing is wrong, is calibrated correctly and operating within all factory specs, then the problem must be at the source. Naturally I would start at the engine (not the batteries) and look at the elements that turn on the engine i.e. relays, solenoids, capacitors, etc. What are those? If for some crazy reason it's the battery, what sources communicate the traction battery is adequately charged or not charged? If the battery situation is even possible, I would assume that communication runs parallel because the indicator in the car says the battery is adequately charged.

Okay Team...have at it.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Mike

#1 Phantom48volts, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no joes? darn! that leaves me out.:LOL:

i will say this, you can hook up mini vci and read a lot of metrics, including your hybrid battery status under load. all the best!(y)

prius team lead investigator? he doesn't work weekends.

most of the 'i took my car in for service and when i got it back the mpg's were lower' threads, never come to a conclusion.

Phantom48volts and m.wynn like this.
  3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is a case for Patrick Wong. I am out of this one.

4. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Wow, one of the most thorough first posts I've seen yet...

I've got nothing.. You already answered everything I normally would say to check in a crappy mpg type question...

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What do you have against people named Joe? Traumatic experience in the past? :confused: :D

Phantom48volts likes this.
  6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm a Joe but I'll still weigh in on this issue. Since all this was immediately after your service, you can look at what your service included.

1. Was the oil change done with the proper weight oil 0w-20? Or did they give you what they had available 5w-30 or higher?
    2. How did you get the dealership to re-check the spark plugs? Taking out the spark plug would be a couple hundred dollars on a Gen3
    3. Were your tires rotated? Sometimes that will cause you to lose mpg after rotation
    4. Did they have the proper fluid for the transaxle fluid change?
    5. Just because you changed to a new yellow top battery, it does not mean it's a good battery.
    6. Did you service the brakes? The brakes could be causing friction if you serviced them.
    7. Lastly, it could be the gas you put in your car, the gas station may have switched to winter blend gas, which is lower energy than summer blend.

It also sounds like your hv battery could be losing some capacity. If it drains quickly, it would require more of the engine to stay on longer to charge it back up.

#6 JC91006, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Phantom48volts

Phantom48volts New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Nothing against Joes. Thanks for responding.

FYI...to the entire prius team, the thoroughness of my question is the result of reading several posts, lots of online research, and approximately 30k miles of road research since this problem happened.

1. Yes, the oil is factory weight of 0-20...full synthetic.
    2. Yes, I had the dealership check, and that was the approximate cost...a little less. As much as I drive, and hate to admit, its a small price in the long term.
    3. Yes, my tires have been rotated, every 10k miles. 6-10MPG loss is a bit unreasonable for a tire rotation though. Maybe 1MPG, and I can deal with that...not 6-10.
    4. I'll have to check on that one...but my guys are pretty good with keeping to factory spec. Honestly, could it really reduce MPG's 6-10.
    5. Yes that is correct, but I've personally checked in the internal computer, on top of the dealership and my mechanic clearing the battery for good operation.
    6. I serviced the brakes at 104k. There was no friction, and 50% left on the rear, with 60% on the front. I'll be checking them out in another 10k, just to be safe, but if they were dragging I would assume they should be gone by now. I've had that happen on another car, and the brakes were gone in less than 3 months...we're talking about almost a year since then.
    7. Gas blend shouldn't matter. First, because this has been going on consistently for almost a year. Prior to this event, for 104k miles and four years...that never had an effect instantly and as dramatic.

As for the battery...the car indicator shows it's just fine. So if indicator is wrong...that would sort of answer my question...there is some thing that speaks to the indicator on my screen, but there is something else that speaks to the computer and it's tell it's low?

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The battery indicators that you are placing so much faith in are indicating that there isn't a really serious problem. Has anyone checked the individual cell voltages in the traction battery? Get the mini-vci & Techstream so you can properly diagnose the car.

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I also have a 2010 and I don't remember ever averaging 55mpg. My average with 17" wheels is usually around 45mpg, often less than that during the summer months when I use AC at full blast.

You seem very thorough on your research and what you've done so far to the car. I don't know what else would cause the drop in your superb mpg of 52-55mpg. You can maybe check the following but it's probably not going to improve significantly

1. Make sure the spark plugs are in fact OEM NGK or Denso plugs and the plugs are all gapped correctly.
    2. Have you cleaned the throttle body and MAF sensor?
    3. Do you have a new air filter?
    4. Have you done an alignment and tire balancing?
    5. What's your MPG without AC use?
    6. Winter blend gas will definitely give you lower mpg
    7. Did the dealer do a recall (inverter reprogramming) while it was in service?

I can't think of anything else. Anything outside of what I mentioned, would have to be HV battery related. It probably has lost capacity (mine definitely has) and it'll require your engine to run more than before.

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

This is the area of interest:
    We need metrics and miniVCI is one of the first because it reads out Prius unique values. Would you have an ordinary OBD scanner already? Even a 'dumb' OBD scanner can give some values.

Do you have an opportunity to visit Art's Automotive or Luscious Garage? Both are well known and skilled in the San Francisco and Berkley area. There is a third closer in Southern California but I don't remember their name right now.

One thing you didn't mention is checking the radiator coolant. I had a problem with warm-up of our 2003 Prius that was cured by topping off the radiator (done cold!) and the overflow tank. This is just sharing, not a diagnosis.

Bob Wilson

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I am definitely a Prius fan. It would be hard to post in this forum and not be a Prius fan.

42PSI in all 4 tires.

Computer problem (sensor inputs)as it should run on battery. Or throttle positioner assembly/electronics.

Possible thermostat issue.

But most likely an unplugged cable. Very common in a shop and will be an Easter egg hunt. Should throw a code so that has me puzzled. Check around the cable runs from the radiator/coolant sensors to the computer.

55MPG is about right with standard OEM LRR tires. I get 64MPG going to work everyday in my 12.

#11 ETP, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
    AzWxGuy and Mendel Leisk like this.
  12. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does Prius have a second temp sensor? The one used by ECU? The only time I"'ve seem something like this was on Mitsubishi, and there weren't any error code On OBDII. Sensor was working just showing sub freezing temps. We only found this after it was hooked to dealer equipment.

I assume the oil level and tire pressure was ruled out.

But as an average Joe I'd better stay out of this

sdtundra and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I care less if you want advice or not, it's a public forum, yer welcome

I've always suspected the actual relationship the computers have with the brakes, for example, when coasting if I just nudge the brake pedal the car seems to relax and speed up a bit, like the brakes are always just slightly engaged and possibly some are just stealing to much energy, err, regenerating when they shouldn't be.
    Of course there's always the emergency brake cable, and yes the throttle body, and the egr valve;)

14. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm not an "expert", per se, but the first thing I would do is check to see if the car is throwing any codes. That's where I would start - anything else would be mere guesswork...

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It wouldn't hurt to feel all four wheels after an extended drive, see if one or more is markedly hotter, dragging. I'd put my money on the rears, if that was the issue.

The reluctance to shut down is the elephant in the room; very likely to be the direct cause of the mpg drop. As to why, who knows, I'm just an average joe. ;)

16. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I'm now leaning towards the HV battery dying an early prolonged death....??

Is it possible that no codes are getting thrown but the HV is indeed dying?

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    absolutely. in fact, the battery starts losing capacity the minute you drive off the lot. at some point, it may become noticeable, but not bad enough for the computer to throw a code, based on parameters.

18. FrankB

FrankB Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would suspect the thermostat is stuck open.

GardenWeasel and bwilson4web like this.
  19. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I vote for Cyclopathic's idea. Some dumb sensors (like the thermocouples used for temperature) might just give a strange reading if they were faulty or unplugged - there would be no code or indication that they weren't working correctly. Probably the best option would be to connect some sort of computer (I would think a Techstream can look up most everything, although a ScanGauge or other similar devices can check out at least some of them) and read out everything, and make sure the values all make sense - both with the engine off and cold, and once it has warmed up for 10-20 minutes. In addition to a faulty thermostat sensor, a faulty battery temperature sensor might cause similar symptoms, but I doubt that's what you've got (I would expect the engine to run 100% of the time in that case).

20. bingee3

bingee3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A brake not fully releasing