1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius III

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by HeatherK, Nov 10, 2010.

1. HeatherK

HeatherK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just bought my Prius last nite...

Totaled my honda civic in a parking lot (ugh) and found this 2010 Prius III it had been a Lexus Dealer Loaner with 11002 miles.

I'm a first time prius owner, and came to this site to do all my research.

I told the dealer I was going to get the PriusChat extended warranty and he gave it (platinum extra care) to me for $850. I hope this was a good deal.

Looking forward to the miles to drive! I love this car!

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Welcome to the site, and congratulations on your new Prius.

As for extended warranties, I don't consider any of them a good deal.

Tom

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Heather and I are co-workers and she got a nice ride. As for extended warranty, I bought new and have been accumulating the maintenance manuals. For me, extended warranty never made any sense but then not everyone has my self-confidence about dealing with a used Prius.

REASONS FOR EXTENDED WARRANTY

1) used car - we don't know what the previous drivers were doing with the car. Anyone have some 'fun' with a rental?

2) first model year - we know the early manufacturing defects are found in the first and second year of a new model. Already we've had the floor mat and brake software recall. But only time lets us know if a subtle problem like the MFD solder crack or some of the systemic problems of the NHW11 will show up in the future.

REASONS AGAINST EXTENDED WARRANTY

1) Consumer Reports does not advocate them.

2) Owner may be a 'gear head' who looks forward to fixin' as an excuse for more toys . . . err tools, yea, I meant tools, reading materials like maintenance manuals (not much plot but a lot of action!) and opportunities to test things . . . err I meant "Baby, do you need any milk from the store?"

We didn't go with the extended warranty on the 2010 bought new. We're having all maintenance done at the Toyota shop so there is a record. The only part I see as a risk is the EGR cooling system and valve. Exhaust piping before the catalytic converter are notorious for getting 'carboned' up. But otherwise, I suspect we've got a solid car well capable of going 500,000 miles.

NOTE: We changed the transaxle oil at 5,000 miles to get rid of any latent manufacturing material and excess case sealant. But then I'm a little weird about such things.

Bob Wilson