1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius information & pictures from Car & Driver

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    [​IMG]

C&D posted a new article this afternoon with mostly fluff, but it does include some new possible details on the 2010 Prius. Here are the highlights:

The 2010 Prius will be "tweaked mainly to answer minor customer beefs with the current jelly bean. It will be slightly larger, a bit more spacious inside, and trimmed with more luxury options. The engine will grow and become a tad snappier in its sprint while returning even better fuel economy."

The price will float above the current $22,160 base price but only modestly. Expect a loaded Prius to top out $1000 or so above the $29,692 for a fully loaded 2008 Prius.

I've attached a couple of pictures. Note that these are "illustrations".

2010 Toyota Prius - Car News/Green Machines/Car Shopping/Hot Lists/Reviews/Car and Driver - Car And Driver

Attached Files:

2. McDonald

McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hmm, sounds good! (Except I still want my plug-in!)

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hatchback? check
    wider track? check

Thank you for listening, Toyota! Now let's see if they continue it inside with mult-adjustable seats (manual too, not just powered if that's an option).

Interesting that they'll use the 1ZR 1.6 litre instead of the Corolla's 2ZR 1.8 litre. This should prove even more fuel efficient!

4. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, Danny.

I've read posts here from many who wished for a smaller, lighter even more fuel efficient Prius (not me). I suspect they're making room for another HSD micromini to be sold as another Prius model.

I like the body sculpting on the new design, beltline accent, solar roof (I think), creature comforts and more power. I wonder if they'll finally introduce Valvematic and D4D, too.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    more likely direct injection and dual VVT-i first. But hey valvematic would be nice.

6. rfruth

rfruth Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks good to me but is the 1.6-liter new or do other models already use that motor ?

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a brand new unit under the ZR family. It's used in the Corolla elsewhere. We get the 1.8 litre version in our Corolla/Matrix/xD.

8. carz89

carz89 I study nuclear science...

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Assuming that the C&D "illustrations" are close to accurate, I think Toyota is smart to maintain most of the characteristic "prius look". More and more it appears that a significant feature attracting buyers to the Prius is it's recognizability. But, I'm hoping that they change two things that would modify the exterior appearance just a tad, but for good reasons:

1. Similar to the plans for Aptera's upcoming PHEV, add solar panels to the roof, mainly to power the vent fan to cool the car when parked on hot sunny days, and also to supplement charging the traction battery (won't help much there -- not enough photovoltaic real estate). Prius has a vast expanse of glass compared to other cars of similar surface area, and the inside can get extremely hot. Hey, the Prius has always been about leading the way in technology -- let's hope they keep it up. A solar-powered auto vent fan THAT WORKS is actually not that technologically advanced, I just have never seen one in a production vehicle.

2. Get rid of that damn cross bar in the back, or at least make it less obtrusive! It really does impede the rear view. With the state of technology in composites, polycarbonates and glass, I'll bet Toyota could design the vertical and sloped portions of the rear hatch to be one seamless window, all while maintaining similar strength and shape. If Toyota can't do it, I know Scotty from Star Trek can (transparent aluminum). ;)

9. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why not use a small solar panel to keep the engine and catalytic converter warm when the car is parked. I've noticed that my fuel efficiency drops quite a bit on short trips - with the engine apparently used to heat up the catalytic converter quickly in order to reduce emissions. So why not use solar power instead of burning gas to keep everything "warm" and hence improve 'short trip' fuel efficiency?

10. Kapena Gary

Kapena Gary New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks Danny,

Just joined a couple of days ago after spending around 3 hrs a day for 3 days searching for info on the Prius. I had been interested in the Cadillac CTS but I finally got wise and realized I need a Prius. It's the right size, the right price, and makes great environmental sense.

I've been very happy reading members' enthusiasm for their cars. I'm looking for luxury along with midsize and sensible mileage.

I'm going to wait and get on the waiting list for the 2010 model because of the rumors it will be a little larger, small improvement in mileage and a few more luxury items.

I'll be checking in often.

Thanks again,
    Gary

11. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    are they serious? the rear needs to be fixed. i am actually really disappointed. and since when was a fully loaded 30k? used to be 26 and now its 30... super disappointed.

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I must say I'm disappointed in the added trim, to me that spells more chrome. I think there's too much chrome as it is. I'm not happier with the perceived need for a larger engine. And I want to see if the real world mpg are really better or not.

Wider. I don't care. Longer. I don't care.

Now what about the things people are really complaining about? The seats and their lack of adjustment? If they put in programmable seats with heaters, I could talk my parents into one.

I may have to order my 2010 plug in....now if it's limited to a few hundred.

13. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    in 04 my fully loaded prius cost me roughly 28.5k

I was hoping for the 1.8.. but that's cool. my 1.5 keeps up and a 1.6 will be impressive for it's size. ( so i assume )

14. pdhenry

pdhenry It's HEEERE!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Define "Fully Loaded" - A base with Package 6 is $28,085. Since the Touring isn't offered in PA that's as fully-loaded as they come off the boat for this market (Which means I'm ignoring PIOs)..

15. carz89

carz89 I study nuclear science...

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    YES!!! Excellent idea! Rooftop solar panel (standard equipment) to power a built-in engine block heater, power a thermostatically-controlled vent fan, and any remaining juice can charge up the traction battery. I'm crossing my fingers that Toyota has thought of all this and included it in their next Prius.

16. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Scotty has been busy with other things.

17. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pictures are not all that accurate, one shows a crease inward at the door handles while the other shows an edge like a BMW. (may just be my perceptions) I don't think we should expect the Prius to look anything like these renderings. If they really want the Prius to look like a Prius, why would they put a Yaris front on it?

I have no issue with the 2 piece rear window, the top is the window the bottom is a bonus.

Solar panels on the roof implies a glass roof which would be heavy as it must be tough enough to withstand hail. The added weight wouldn't be worth it, as it would reduce acceleration and induce more body roll. Plastics would be OK but for the replacements of same every few years when it looks ugly, have a look at a light plane which is a few years old. Even covered in plastic, solar panels on the roof would add weight to the worst place to add weight.

Here is an idea, climate control which comes on as soon as the door is unlocked to get the car comfortable quicker. If it's hot inside the car the AC fan runs on high vent until the door closes or 2 minutes which ever is the lesser.

I like the idea of a multi-adjustable seat, I had a manual one in my Tercel SR5 which was nice but I can't really say I miss it.

18. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

The picture looks as if they have closed up the gap between the fenders and the tires. If so, that would help the air drag. Now, put some flashing on the trim rings, and who needs wheel well covers ?

19. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's the new Toyota grill thing.

20. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle: