1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius IV A/C Not functioning correctly

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Joel Bodker, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Joel Bodker

Joel Bodker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I own a 2010 Prius IV that I've had for a few years. Haven't had any issues with the AC system until recently. There are a few other AC threads that i've done extensive research reading them, but I've gone lengths to exhaust most options and hope that with what has been done up to this point, that there may be some further insight that someone has. Hoping that my AC problems will be gone forever.

_________

My AC started acting up. When it was hot outside, the AC wouldn't work at all or was inconsistent. When it was colder outside, it worked like a charm. At times it was too cold. I took it to a Toyota Dealership, where they told me that they needed to replace the compressor because it was going out, the condenser because it had a leak, and the the thermistor because it was faulty. All in all to the tune of $3500+ before tax. Although they offered me 10% off on this bill, I didn't take them up on their generous offer.

I ordered an OEM replacement compressor online. One that was brand new with a warranty. I then downloaded the Toyota Repair Manual and followed the replacement procedure step by step. I ordered a brand new set of manifold gauges, an AC pump, my ND-11 oil, and I was off to the races.

Replacing the compressor was simper than I thought. After removing the bottom skid plate, access was simple and the entire process of removing the compressor and replacing it with the new took no time at all. For all you Toyota Mechanics, the system was evacuated at a repair shop down the road from my house. I made sure the AC button was turned off and drove the car straight home and started the process of replacing the compressor. I removed the negative terminal connection on the battery, and then pulled the instant disconnect from the hybrid battery, as per the repair manual, and disconnected the compressor. Once the electrical was disconnected, I pulled off the two freon lines and immediately plugged them to ensure nothing would get into the system. When pulling out the old compressor, I emptied the oil that had collected in the compressor, per the Service Manual, and measured it and filled the same volume into the new compressor with new ND-11 oil. I replaced the compressor, plugged the lines back in, making sure to oil the o-rings, and made sure they were tightened down properly. I then hooked up my manifold gauge set and hooked up the pump to that. I performed a vacuum purge for roughly 60mins to -30inHg. Once that was done, I closed the valves on the manifold gauge set to ensure that there were no leaks. If the gauges showed -30inHg, and I came back in 2hrs to check the gauges and they still read -30inHg and had zero pressure loss, one would assume no leaks, right? Which led me to believe that the dealerships statement for a condenser replacement was unwarranted. Once the vacuum held, I started the process of filling with R-134a refrigerant. I filled to the exact amount per the service manual (15.9oz plus or minus 1oz) and used a scale to accurately measure what I was putting into the system. Once that was done, I checked the gauges as to the high and low pressure, and it read exactly what the service manual said was the correct amounts and readings conducive to a successful refrigerant replacement.

I warmed up the compressor, per the manual, and turned the compressor on to check the AC temp. AC was working AMAZING. Thermometer read 54 - 55deg (which I thought was a bit warmer than I had expected, but worked great IMO) and I thought all was well.

It wasn't until several weeks later that the AC started doing what it was doing before. It's cold when it's cold outside, but when it's on the warmer side, it doesn't work as good or at all. And if the car is sitting in the sun directly, forget about it. I drove it to Long Beach from Los Angeles the other day, and the drive there, the AC worked amazing. On the drive back, in the heat of the day, the AC wasn't as cold, and at one point, completely stopped working and warm/hot air came out. Several minutes later, the cold air came back on, but wasn't necessarily cold, it was sorta cool at best.

I own two 2010 Prius'....both the exact same car with the exact same extras. They're literally identical twins, but one is blue and one is white. The blue car (mine) was a single owner that was a friend, that I bought with 36,000 miles on it. It's now crossed the 130,000 mark and has literally had zero issues. The white car ( my wife's and the one in question) was bought also at 36,000, but it had a salvaged title. All of the work was done at the dealership, to which I have all of the documentation and receipts. Zero frame damage from the accident, but nonetheless, still a salvaged.

I turned on both cars and compared the compressor sounds. My blue car was super quiet. Although the compressor can become slightly noisy in warmer temps due to increased demand on the compressor, but it isn't obnoxiously loud at all. The white prius (the one in question) has a very loud sound from the compressor. So I called the manufacturer of the compressor, explained to them that the compressor sounded damaged and they sent me a brand new compressor replacement without question. So I literally did the entire process over again. Exact same, step by step, note for note. Hoping that the compressor was defective, I put all my hopes that this new one was going to finally fix the issue.

After a few weeks of running.........same thing. Compressor got super noisy and started showing the EXACT same set of issues.

Things to note....

1. I replaced the Thermistor myself. A job the dealership wanted $800 for just this, as "the whole center console needed to be removed." Nothing that a job of 14" needle nose pliers couldn't accomplish in literally under 15mins from start to finish. The Thermistor goes between the fins of the small condenser behind the shifter and center console. I replaced that and had zero issues.

2. I replaced the Ambient Temp Sensor located in front of the condenser behind the front bumper. Also a fast job, nothing special or difficult.

I'm at a loss for what to check/do next. I don't know what else to check or replace. I have bald spots from where i've pulled my hair out. I can easily replace the condenser, but should I? I know the Cabin Temp sensor can be replaced, but would that cause these issues? I've checked the condenser to make sure it wasn't clogged, and it's not. I've replaced the cabin filter to make sure there is enough air flow. I've checked all the fuses to make sure everything is powered on. I just do not know what else to do and don't have thousands of dollars to drop it off at a shady dealership to get screwed.

ANY HELP would be beyond appreciated. This forum has already been a huge blessing and learning environment. I just hope that with all the similar AC issues that people have on here, we can finally come to a conclusion and help many.

Thanks for ANY input.
    Joel