1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius IV for sale, 232,878 miles, misfires

Discussion in 'Prius Cars For Sale' started by GuySellingaPrius, Jun 21, 2023.

1. GuySellingaPrius

GuySellingaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    2010 Prius IV for sale.

232,878 miles.

Location is outside of Ann Arbor, Michigan.

This is a Prius IV, the model that had the moon roof, heated front seats, built in GPS, solar-powered cooling fan. This vehicle also has Weather Tech floor mats.

Disclosure: The car has a significant misfire and occasionally drinks coolant. More below.

I purchased the vehicle certified by a Toyota dealership in 2012 with 42k miles on it. Love the vehicle. Actual mileage during my ownership period is between just shy of 49 mpg. I've tracked miles and gallons of every tank of gas.

I am considering a sale now because the car has an engine misfire issue that is becoming more consistent.

The issue is that when I start the vehicle the engine vibrates, sometime slightly, sometimes severely. Sometimes it stops in a second or two. Sometimes it happens off and on until reaching about 20 mph. After reaching about 20 mph, the issue usually goes away for the entire drive.

Before summer of 2022, the issue was mostly a slight rattle. Then in summer of 2022, it was sometimes more severe. That caused me to seek a solution.

Almost all maintenance had been performed by the dealership, so I had the dealer take a look. I suggested that they check the coils, fuel injectors, and sparkplugs. They didn't check what I asked. They said they heard a slight knocking in the lower engine. They suggested I purchase an new engine for $9,300 USD, and tried to bill me $149. Given that they didn't do the work requested, I left and had my neighbor's favorite mechanic take a look. That mechanic changed one of the coils and the issue totally went away for about two months.

In the fall of 2022, the issue started again, but wasn't so significant. Then in May 2023, severe misfires started happening again. Also, the coolant sometimes disappears. The coolant isn't in the engine compartment or under the vehicle. No sign of it.

CURRENT STATUS (June 2023): Almost every time I start it up, it misfires. Sometimes it is slight and brief. Other times, it is relatively severe and for 10 or so seconds. Then, when I set of on a drive, it often misfires moderately until I reach about 20 mph. It also loses coolant. Sometimes, I drive it for several days without losing any coolant. Other times, it goes from max to below low during a drive. Since May, I've added one full container of premixed coolant. The car performs fine in the 30 mph to 80 mph range. No misfire and good mpg.

The engine light is on. The error codes indicate misfires of cylinders 1, 3 and 4.

Researching the issue, it seems it could be a broken head gasket. It could be an EGR valve-manifold cleanliness issue, or it could be something else. I don't have physical energy to troubleshoot this. I've asked some local mechanics to take a look. They want $98 to $200 just for troubleshooting. No thanks.

I asked the dealership for a quote to purchase my Prius. They quoted up to $1,600, but they need to see it in person to make an official offer.

I figured, I would put the car on PriusChat to see if anyone here is interested. It is for sale "as is".

Minor issues, in addition to the major engine issue:

1. There are several tiny chips on the front hood.
    2. The clip that holds the faux leather down to the front passenger seat is partially detached so that foam is visible. It was like this when purchased. Hasn't changed.
    3. A clip that holds the back right fender in place is not in place. This was like this when I purchased the vehicle. Dealer offered to fix it for $135 at the time.
    4. General wear on the front seat where I sit all the time.

Other than the above, the car is excellent condition considering the age. I love it and will be sad to see it go. But, I just have interest in investigating the backfire issue or paying for repairs.

Photos attached.

Please reach out with any offers if interested.

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      172.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      183.6 KB
      Views:
    • 15.jpg
      15.jpg
      File size:
      143.3 KB
      Views:
    • 16.jpg
      16.jpg
      File size:
      143.4 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      130.3 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      136.3 KB
      Views:
    • 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      183.8 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      118.7 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      148.4 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      128.9 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      137.4 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      150.4 KB
      Views:
    • 17.jpg
      17.jpg
      File size:
      136.1 KB
      Views:
    • 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      121.2 KB
      Views:
    • 18.jpg
      18.jpg
      File size:
      111.8 KB
      Views:
    • 14.jpg
      14.jpg
      File size:
      138.5 KB
      Views:
    • 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      File size:
      175 KB
      Views:
    • 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      118.6 KB
      Views:
    • 19.jpg
      19.jpg
      File size:
      75.4 KB
      Views:
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If what you're asking is $1600 for this car, I would like to buy it

3. GuySellingaPrius

GuySellingaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    hello all, the car was not sold to JC91006. It is still available here in SE Michigan.

Please note the following:
    1. Most likely the engine needs to be replaced. That' what the dealer and another garage told me.
    2. The car misfires quite often lately. It isn't safe to drive in busy traffic because the misfire can inhibit your ability to accelerate normally. So, you may be t-boned or rear ended.
    3. After reviewing the car in person, the dealership lowered their offer to $800.

I'd like more than $800 if possible. Please make your best offer and it will be considered.

I'd probably sell it today "as is" for an even $1000.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sent you another message

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius