1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius IV Terrible noise

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by PearlthePrius, Oct 9, 2009.

1. PearlthePrius

PearlthePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was leaving work yesterday coming out of the garage when I heard a terrible skreeching sound coming from my right front wheel when I turn left. The Prius isn't even 8 weeks old yet.. Taking it in today to see what's up will keep you posted.

2. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No doubt something caught up in the wheel well area - hopefully not a critter screaching "Don't turn left anymore!".

3. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have seen instances on other marques where a stone will get caught between the brake rotor and the backing plate, causing all sorts of horrible noises under certain conditions. We can but hope the outcome will be that minor! :)

4. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe you should read this thread... has a lot of information about screeching/squeaking noises from the front wheels.
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...eaking-sound-wheels-during-rolling-start.html

I'm dealing with the same issue myself. Only seems to happen when the car has not been driven for a few hours.

5. richard.saia

richard.saia New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I noticed the same problem pulling out of my garage yesterday. Our car is only 3 weeks old. I am going to call the dealer tomorrow. From reviewing this page it sounds like this is a pretty common problem. I hope it is nothing serious.

6. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You didn't mention if the weather was wet when you parked the vehicle but it's not uncommon in any vehicle for the brake rotors to develop a slight layer of rust after you park in damp weather or after a car wash. The next time you get in and move the vehicle the brake pads will make a noise like you describe when you press the brakes or when you turn the wheels. Turning the wheels can make the pads on the front contact the rotors slightly. Normal braking will quickly remove this rusty layer. It will sound worse in the Prius compared to other vehicles because the Prius is soooo quiet.

7. hansgrason1

hansgrason1 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Nothing new here -- and welcome to the 2010 Prius Owner's Squeaking Wheels club!

You are not the 1st to experience this. Toyota U. S. A. and the Toyota dealers won't do anything about it either ... do a lookup, read 'em and weep ---> http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...eaking-sound-wheels-during-rolling-start.html

There are about 10 pages of complaints/alleged fixes/and related general nonsense on this subject. No one REALLY knows anything, and Toyota isn't doing squat.

For what it's worth, here are some contacts that several of us have complained to:

1. This forum's "Prius Team" on this squeaking problem --> PriusChat Forums - View Profile: Prius Team .

2. Toyota U. S. A. Customer Experience Center:

Customer Experience Center
    If you'd like to discuss your experience or share your comments, Toyota's Customer Experience Center representatives are happy to assist you.
    Phone: 800-331-4331
    Fax: 310-468-7814
    Mon - Fri, 5:00 am - 6:00 pm PST
    Sat, 7:00 am - 4:00 pm PST

Or send correspondence to: Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
    19001 South Western Ave.
    Dept. WC11
    Torrance, CA 90501

8. dc202

dc202 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is there any evidence that this is doing harm or a symptom of a harmful condition?
    If not, so what?

9. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    While not harmful, it is annoying. If mine did it, I would simply apply the brake d-squeek and be done with it. Of course loudly complaining is more fun :D
    Really any dealer worth a darn would simply fix the problem, but the Toyota dealers seem to be into lieing, denying and making counter accusations as opposed to just fixing the thing.
    Squealing disk brakes is nothing new, is not brand specific, and is easy to fix.

10. spinkao

spinkao New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My tires alwas sqeeek terribly on the grarage floor whenever making a turn, even at less than walking speed. It is caused by the surface of the garage floor. My old car did that too and I noticed many garage floors are made of the same type of concrete that induces this type of skqeeking. It sounds scary, but it is completely normal. Just ignore it.

P.S. It is always the front outside wheel (with respect to the turning direction) which emmits the worst noise.

11. madoue

madoue New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Any news on this? Our Prius is having the same problem and wanted to see what it takes to fix.
    Thanks

12. Bobsprius

Bobsprius BobPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Which model do you have?? Your profile states: Other/Non Hybrid? Update would be helpful.

13. hansgrason1

hansgrason1 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No, no one has submitted any news yet. Guess this means that either the dealers and / or Toyota of America have not come up with a fix yet.

Please do your part though, and report your problem to:

1. This forum's "Prius Team" on this squeaking problem --> PriusChat Forums - View Profile: Prius Team .

2. Toyota U. S. A. Customer Experience Center:

Customer Experience Center
    If you'd like to discuss your experience or share your comments, Toyota's Customer Experience Center representatives are happy to assist you.
    Phone: 800-331-4331
    Fax: 310-468-7814
    Mon - Fri, 5:00 am - 6:00 pm PST
    Sat, 7:00 am - 4:00 pm PST

Or send correspondence to: Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
    19001 South Western Ave.
    Dept. WC11
    Torrance, CA 90501