1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius IV with 180k miles for $5000

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Frankshi, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Frankshi

Frankshi New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi folks,
    I just test drove a Prius IV ( leather seat, keyless entry...) I with 180k miles, clean carfax, No accident, 2 owners, a trade-in at dealer.:
    - All maintenance records done every 5000 miles at a Toyota dealer in Dallas.
    - **** front and rear axle service done at 130k miles.
    - Brake jobs done at 170k miles.
    No check engine light, I hooked up my OBD scanner--> Green light, not yellow light of recent reset/ erase.
    mileage: 50MPG as i could see on the dash board.

Drove it for 30 mins and engine seems smooth, fluids level ok, all electric parts function...except the shocks are no where compared to my New RAV4. Haven't driven any Prius in my life.

May i ask is it a good purchase for $5300 ( title included)? Anything else need to be checked? Any problem to be expected for this vehicle? I am sorry for asking too much and greatly appreciate any advice.
    Best,

Attached Files:

#1 Frankshi, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! what is front and rear axle service? might be a decent price, but i do think you have to expect some major repairs coming along, starting with the hybrid battery. you might get lucky, but the higher the mileage, the lower the odds. all the best!(y)

Frankshi likes this.
  3. Frankshi

Frankshi New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks bisco,
    Record from Toyota Showed: "***** front axle and rear axle services"- customer Pay--> ?????what does that mean????

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hopefully someone else knows, i've never heard of it. might have been a wallet flush.:cool:

Frankshi likes this.
  5. Frankshi

Frankshi New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i uploaded screenshots of service record. I added vehicle VIN to my toyota account and got these info.
    I told the guy at dealer that i might be back tmr to buy it.

bisco likes this.
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You're sort of trading off one kind of risk for another. You could buy the same car with about half the miles for not quite twice the money, as a colleague of mine recently did. You might be more likely to have a four-figure repair in the foreseeable future, but if you just take the amount now that you aren't spending on a lower-mile car and put it in the bank earmarked for possible big repairs, you're pretty much covered, and there's still a chance that money will still be there when you're done with the car.

Or, if you prefer a lower likelihood of something failing, you spend the extra money on the lower-mile car, knowing you aren't going to see that money again (unless you recoup some of it when you sell the car).

-Chap

Frankshi likes this.
  7. Frankshi

Frankshi New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You are right. I ll just skip it. Thank you very much Chap.