1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Maintenance Schedule (Canadian)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mendel Leisk, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've been reading through the 2010 Prius Canadian Owners Manual Supplement. The Maintenance Schedule is not spelled out date-by-date: it's format is subjective, and covers all Toyota's models, so a bit confusing.

I've attempted to translate it's info into a 2010 Prius specific summary, going date by date. Please note: there are variations from the US schedule, and I believe the US publication is more objective, date-by-date.

I'll post a jpeg (which will likely get downsample some), and attempt to attach a pdf and xls (MS Excel) version also.

The following is a rough draft, feel free to check and comment.

Addendum: Long overview, I've updated the files to reflect my last edit. Please ignore any files posted further down. Also, it's apparently no longer possible to post Exel files, maybe for safety reasons. Sorry.
    2010 Prius Maintenance Schedule (Canadian).jpg

Attached Files:

2. guinness_fr

guinness_fr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I cannot see any brake fluid replacement in your chart !?

In the European maintenance manual I think I saw a 30,000 km (or 2 years) replacement for brake fluid.

I think 30,000 km (roughly 20,000 miles) is overkill for the prius which barely uses regular braking and I was extremely surprised that they changed it on my not even 1 year-old Prius :eek: but since it was in the maintenance manual I could not skip it and risk having guarantee issues...

3. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'll double check but I believe there is no mention of brake fluid replacement, at least in our Canadian version of the Owners Manual Supplement (outlines warranty and maintenance). This isn't intended to be my schedule; I'm really just trying to objectify the very verbose and convoluted schedule laid out by Toyota Canada.

Honda says to replace brake fluid every 3 years, no mileage requirement. FWIW I'll stick to that interval with our Prius. Hopefully the dealership's service department is set up for brake fluid changes: I believe there's pressurized equipment that will automate the processs.

I'll likely also accelerate transmission fluid changes, to at least bi-yearly.

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's an updated schedule:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's the US maintenance schedule, Excel chart format only, based on a pdf publication I found, titled:

Prius 2010 - Warranty and Maintenance Guide

The anecdotal, date-by-date style in the Toyota publication is a very difficult read, especially if you want to get the big picture. I've not checked it till my eyes bleed, there might still be a few oversights.

There are a few breaks in the pattern, in the Toyota publications, ie: some inspection might be going along at 3 year intervals, and then inexplicably one is missed. I've filled in the blanks in such cases. The last date, 144 mo (12 year) in particular seems to be missing a wack of inspections, comparing to the usual intervals.

Also, does "front differential fluid" exist, distinct from "automatic transmission fluid"? I've just put both in, per the Toyota publication, for now.

I've just adhered to what Toyota says, for good/bad. For example, there is no transaxle fluid change interval (I would just change the word "inspect" to "replace"), the floor mats are supposed to be checked every 6 months (sounds tedius, not even mentioned in the Canadian schedule...). Wheel rotation every six months seems excessive: I would try to sync it with brake inspections, my 2 cents.

Also, there's a lot of disparity, comparing to the Canadian schedule.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  6. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's the same. The Gen3 Prius transaxle requires Toyota ATF-WS. There are a couple of threads on changing it (easy DIY) and I think with Bob Wilson's help we decided a first change at about 20K miles would be best. Second change is still undetermined but I think I will change mine again at 50K and have it analyzed and compare to the 20K sample.

I agree with a brake fluid change, should it be changed at a time interval or a mileage interval? I think my BMW was 3 years or 36K miles. Maybe the Prius could go longer?

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

So at 36 mo (or 30000 mile) intervals, Toyota says to check "automatic transmission oil" and "front differential oil". And never change them, both of them, ever... :rolleyes:

Yeah, I was just having a look under there yesterday, looking at transmission access (http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...hooting/90272-engine-under-panel-removal.html).

I think I read somewhere the Prius has a lot of brake fluid, and changing it is complicated, requiring communication via OBDII. Or not? A little fuzzy on that.

8. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    US Schedule should have spark plugs? ~120,000 miles per Canadian schedule.

Both should have brake fluid? Typical car: 3 yr/30,000 miles. Prius probably a lot longer interval, subject to inspection of fluid and feel of friction braking (can you "feel" the brakes like a typical car?).

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oh, good catch! It was on the very last page of the schedule, guess I was burning out. Will fix that.

Ok, I've updated the attachment, US maintenance schedule, in my post #5: sparkplug replacement interval added.

Trying to extract sparkplugs after 120,000 neglected miles should be "interesting", but again, the object of my spreadsheet is just to summarize Toyota's schedule, not mess with it.

1 person likes this.
  10. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Here is the transaxle oil analysis thread.
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...on/69919-zvw30-transmission-oil-analysis.html

This thread has a transaxle oil change procedure in post #35, you get to everything through the ICE oil change door. Under engine covers don't need to be removed.
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...ng/72896-diy-transmission-fluid-change-4.html

I think we will need to remove the under engine cover to change the ICE and inverter coolant. But the coolant should be OK for 5 years, so I will figure that out when the time comes.

1 person likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks for the links. Good to know a few people have done their own transmission fluid, no problems. I'm still half inclined to pull the whole cover off, at least when tranmission fluid change is involved, maybe for engine oil change as well. Because:

1. It keeps the reviled hinge points intact.

2. In particular with the transmission fluid change, the extra elbow room for torque wrench might be nice, and for a clear shot for the draining tran. fluid.

Have a look at my linked thread on removing the whole panel: it's basically 15 minutes vs 5 minutes, it comes off and goes back on fairly easily. I'm using a fairly high floorjack lift of the front end and safety stands, which makes things a little roomier.

While it's 15 minutes, it feels like 20~25... Frustrating the fragile material of this cover, and it is a bunch of extra finicky fasteners to deal with, break, lose, mix-up.

Brightest idea I had when doing it: I dragged a sturdy (and thicker than me) tool box under, pushed it back a little further than I had to go, under a cross beam.

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's an updated Canadian schedule, based on Owner's Manual Supplement. Some revisions:

1. I think I've fixed the transaxle fluid change interval, though I'm not sure. The owners manual supplement is "conversational", and covers all Toyota vehicles, with various exceptions. This is my best attempt at undertanding what they want. FWIW, I think the interval they quote is way too long, but my object with this is just to document what they're stipulating.

2. I've resorted the lines a bit, deleted some I don't believe apply to the Prius (belt inspection for example), and just generally tried to fix it up.

3. Color coded the lines, to try to make it an easier read.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  13. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does any know if the transaxle fluid change interval needs to be change at 96,000 km, or is that a dealer add on service ?