1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius: More than Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac or Acura? Yep!!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by a priori, Mar 4, 2009.

1. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    2010 Prius: Bigger than a Breadbox (and a Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac or Acura)? Yep!!

I’m sure you have people say to you something along the lines of: “Cute little car. I’m sure it gets decent gas mileage, but I really need more room than I’d have in that dinky thing.â€

Sometimes it almost sets me off, because I feel there is abundant space inside my Prius. I had heard somewhere that the Prius has more rear-seat head room and leg room than a C-Class Mercedes. I liked that so much that I just started saying it to people. Well, there’s a danger in simply repeating things you’ve heard (or hoped you’d heard!). So, I thought I would sit down and compare the interior and exterior dimensions of the Prius, as well as certain EPA characteristics such as size, MPGs and carbon footprint, to certain upscale (or uppity) sedans.

For purposes of this comparison, I used information provided by Polk and U.S. EPA, as well as the latest information on the 2010 provided by Toyota. I chose to compare the 2010 Prius to four other cars:
    1. 2009 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C300 4MATIC Luxury Sedan
    2. 2009 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328xi
    3. 2009 Cadillac CTS 3.6L SIDI
    4. Acura TL 5-Spd AT w/Technology Package
    I don’t need to remind anyone that each of these other cars is quite a bit more expensive than the Prius. Still, I didn’t choose to compare the Prius to cars that were truly far outside the physical size of the Prius or double the price. The other cars have MSRPs (without extra options) ranging from $36,425 to $39,445. I’ve prepared a simple spreadsheet with some of these comparisons, and it is attached to this post.

How did the 2010 Prius compare? I always thought it was head and shoulders above the competition, but I have to admit now that it is only head-above and leg-longer than the competition. The Prius stands higher than all the others, and it has similar head room to the BMW and Acura. The Caddy has a half-inch advantage in front head room, while the Mercedes has more than one inch less front head room than the Prius. The Prius and the Acura barely surpass the Cadillac for front leg room, but the Prius a good inch more than the German competitors.

This 2010 Prius takes a back seat to nobody! In terms of the back seat space, the Prius has more headroom than the others (though just barely “ahead†of the BMW). For back seat leg room, only the Acura has more – 0.2 inches more, that is. The Prius has nearly 3 inches more leg room than the Mercedes.

OK. The Prius just can’t have more room everywhere – right? That’s right. Even though the overall passenger volume far exceeds the German cars, it is on par with the Cadillac and the Acura. The 2009 was slightly smaller than the Caddy and Acura, but I expect the 5 cu. Ft. increase in overall volume in the Prius will push it ahead of the others. The real squeeze in the Prius is at the hips and shoulders. Though the front shoulder room and hip room in the Prius is greater than that in the Mercedes and BMW, it lags behind the Cadillac and the Acura: one-half inch to the Caddy and about 2 inches less than the Acura. The back seat is much narrower, though, in the Prius. It is 2 inches narrower at the shoulders and between about 3 inches narrower at the hips than the other cars. So, with 3 passengers in the back seat, each of the 3 in the Prius must give up an inch of space when compared to the passengers in the other cars.

How about luggage space? I was hoping we’d get there. Cargo volume (under the tonneau) shows the Prius at 2 cubic feet ahead of the Mercedes and BMW, but only one cubic foot better than the Cadillac and Acura models. Overall luggage volume, as measured by EPA standards, shows the Prius far out in front of the others: 21.6 cubic feet, compared to a range of 12 to 14 for the others.

So, in the end, can I still proudly claim I have more space inside my car than you’ll get in a C-Class Mercedes? No doubt but that I can. The Prius has more Head, Shoulder, Hip and Leg room in the front seats than does the Mercedes. It also has more Head and Leg room in the back seat. What I didn’t know is that I could add the BMW 3 Series to my boast. And if I want to carry it a bit further, I would add that my Prius has more head room and leg room and cargo space than the others, also.

Oh: Did I forget to mention the Prius costs two-thirds of the other birds? And, in case you’re wondering, at 50 MPG, the 2010 Prius gets two and one-half times the fuel economy of any of the others.

EDIT: I've added an updated spreadsheet incorporating comparisons to the Honda Pilot and the Lexus LS 460 L. See later posts for more information.

The small print: For those who are apologists for any of these cars, please understand I am not "picking" on any one of them. I did not spend a whole lot of time looking for other cars for sake of this comparison. Some other makes or models could look better or worse when compared to the 2010 Prius. Let me know what you find out.

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Very informative post that should open a few eyes.

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    2010 Prius: Bigger than a bread box!

For those who hate to open spread sheets:

Attached Files:

4. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Re: 2010 Prius: Bigger than a bread box!

Thanks, Bill! My apologies to folks who don't have Excel or a format that can read the spreadsheet. Acrobat really makes it work well.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm still wary of the 21 cu. ft. rating. It didn't look like it to me unless they counted the box and the space to the ceiling/rear window.

6. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi a priori,

Add Honda Pilot to that too. Both front and rear seats - more legroom. Of course the Prius does not have the third row. But, I see people taller than me driving around cramped in those Pilots....

7. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Great Post!! The one thing I liked about sitting in the 2010 was the rear head room. It was a real increase over my 2006. I also probably spent more time in the back seat of the 2010 than i have in my 06 since I purchased it. I ALWAYS drive, unless its just been a really long day in court and then my wife gets to drive my baby.

Nice work and very informative research. I don't know if they could "sticky" the post, but the pdf. file could be posted in a permanently prominent place for everyone to compare so when we all get that enevitable question about interior room, we can have the facts quickly at hand.

8. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Donee:

I've added a new spreadsheet with the Honda Pilot added (2WD version). What may interest you is that the Pilot is the one vehicle in this comparison that has more head room than the 2010 Prius. In fact, it has about one inch more head room in the front seats. It has about two inches additional head room in the second row.

Even so, the Prius has more leg room in front -- more than an inch greater than the Pilot. The Pilot is the only vehicle that beats out the Prius in back seat leg room, however.

It is no surprise the Pilot also has more shoulder room and hip room -- than any of the other competitors. Perhaps it also is no surprise the Pilot has the worst fuel economy and this highest carbon footprint of any of these vehicles.

It isn't quite the "luxury" drive of the non-Prius competitors, so the price comes in where expected: higher than the Prius but less (ever so slightly) than the others.

Attached Files:

9. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    As before.

Attached Files:

10. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

according to european VDA specs, rating up to seats end for the Prius is 10% more than before, so thats what you will be getting at the end - 10% more trunk... sounds good to me.

11. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Interesting analysis, the only flaw is people that are used to larger cars (like me) find all the cars you mentioned too small too. The C class and 3 series are compact cars and the CTS is not a whole lot larger.

I've driven all of those cars and my reaction (to all but the Acura TL) was "this is too small for me to drive every day).

The perception of size doesn't just have to do with physical size...

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well, even if the 21 cu feet is measured to the ceiling, its not like it cannot be used... i for one, have the entire backend STUFFED on camping trips. i just pack the cracks with blankets and pillows

13. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't disagree that the other cars are similarly-sized to the Prius -- that's the whole point of my post. The perception of size has a lot to do with the notion the Prius is an "economy" car. This is seen as an "econo-box" statement that the car must be lightweight, tiny and underpowered.

The point of the post is to provide information to Prius owners and others about the relative interior sizes of these various automobiles. We can use this information to disabuse the assumptions made by people who would reject the Prius out-of-hand because it is an "econo-box."

Actually, I was expecting a bit more "outrage" from people who would object to comparing the Prius to a "real" automobile coming from Germany. Clearly, the Prius is not a luxury sedan. Still, it has so many advanced features and appointments, that it compares favorably in many ways to these other cars. At the same time, the Prius is not designed to be a sports sedan, and it doesn't have the suspension, the high-performance engine or the wood panelling of the high-brow motor car.

All-in-all, I'd like people to see that they can buy a Prius as a family car, not a commuter "econo-box."

14. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In the UK, the Prius is too big. I have trouble parking at home - parallel-parking on the street - because typically the spaces available were left by a B- or C-segment car and aren't long enough for me.

I've had three adult passengers fairly comfortably in the back of my car - it was definitely a tighter squeeze when I was sitting as one of three on the rear seat of my boss's BMW 5-series wagon!

15. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So, maybe we can do a comparison of how much actual "wiggle room" there is in the back seats of these vehicles? :eyebrows:

Someone will need to grab their sweetheart, and make out in the back of all these cars, and then let us know which one has the best usable space...
    :hug: :kiss:

Maybe we can ask someone to find out how many sheep you can get in the back seats, as well...
    :flock:

16. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You have shown what I have know all along, the Prius is too big. I've driven all of the cars you mentioned and I never felt cramped. Why did Toyota make the 3rd generation even bigger? I've always thought that the Prius has way too much headroom in the front row and not enough cargo room. (I'm 5' 10", 185 pounds)

You did forget that BMW offers the 3-series in this much more practical wagon version with 93 cu ft passenger and 25 cu ft cargo volume. (EPA Volume)
    [​IMG]

Both BMW and Mercedes offer much more fuel efficient sedans and wagons in Europe. BMW offers the 3-Series with 10 engines in Europe but the US only gets the 3 most powerful. The 318d wagon is the most efficient EU 3-series. It only makes 142 hp but gets 50% better combined fuel economy than the 218 hp 325i. I doesn't come to the US because it take an incredibly long 9.6 seconds to go 0-62 mph. The base model is the US is the 230 hp 328i.

I also find it odd that you chose to compare the Prius to several sport sedans based on price, size, and fuel economy. None of these are high priorities for a sport sedan. This are simply different classes of cars for people with different priorities.

17. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Forget? No. I just didn't think of it. I was focused on sedans, because I am aiming at people who are looking to buy four-door sedans. You bring up a good point, however, and I may want to compare the Prius to some of the European sports wagons. At least they offer size and cargo options.

Now you're hitting on something. How many buyers of sport sedans buy them to drive like they are rally racers? Not many.

On the other hand, I believe there are many people looking for a way to get a car with better fuel economy at a better price, but they are unwilling to give up either creature comforts or space. The 2010 is aimed squarely at these buyers. That is why you'll see thae 2010 includes a comfortable driver's seat, a better stereo system and a telescoping steering column. The same people also want their cars to look a bit faster, if not "more aggressive." That is what is behind the new styling and the optional 17" wheels.

You are correct about the different priorities. I see the 2010 Prius as a car that will bring buyers from Mercedes, BMW & Cadillac for just those reasons. Many current Prius owners had such cars before, but the main reason they came to the Prius was not price or creature comforts, its was performance: Fuel Economy and Cleaner Exhaust.

18. patflanagan

patflanagan New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    One more comment on size. I ride a bicycle a lot but many times I throw it on my bike rack attached to my trailer hitch and go to the place I am going to ride. At a triathalon last summer I parked next to a prius. In the back of the prius with the seats folded down was an adult size road bike with the tires still mounted on the bike. He maneuvers it in and out but once in it fits nicely.

Can't do that in a Camry or other sedan. Can't even put it in the trunk. That was probably the last thing I needed to see before I made my mind up that the next car (2010) will be a prius.

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's only bigger on the inside. The exterior dimensions are similar to the 2nd generation. ~1" longer and barely 0.5" wider.

Kinda odd since the Prius is a C-segment sized car with D-segment interior space.

20. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What a ridiculous comparison. Let's compare the Prius of a Porsche 911 too while we're at it. Let's see, the 911 had 4 tires, hey so does the Prius!

Drive a BMW 3 and then drive a Prius, totally different experience. After driving 3 series of C class, I guarantee that the Prius will feel like driving an econobox.