1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius new key fob programming in Iowa

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Nicholas, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Does anyone know of sources in Iowa that programs key fobs for reasonable price for a 2010 Toyota Prius solar edition.

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What part of Iowa?
    Do you need just the programming?
    Or a fob, key cut, and programming?

3. Nicholas

Nicholas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Des Moines area, they will buy a new fob and it just needs programmed.

4. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you buy a "mini vci with Techstream" from eBay for $19, you can add the key yourself, as long as the key really is new (never associated with a different car) and you must have one key that already works with the car.

The software requires a laptop with 32-bit Windows, like Windows 7. People have gotten it to work with newer Windows, but it's better with an old Windows laptop.

5. DrTrivia

DrTrivia Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have made two extra keyless remotes for my 2011 model with remotes purchased from eBay. You get the Techstream connector and a computer or laptop, and you can program them yourself. A few things to note, though: The Techstream software only works with Windows 7. I have mine working on a Windows 8 laptop but it takes a LOT of work to get it to function like that and I wouldn't recommend it unless you are very software savvy.

Second, as mentioned above, you CANNOT buy a used keyless entry remote. Once it's been linked to a specific car it cannot be reprogrammed by anyone other than Toyota. They have some kind of unlock code that they charge money for, and I believe they will only sell them to Toyota Dealerships.

I have purchased two keys, at different times, from eBay seller "vns4less". I purchased mine for only $85, and programming it to the car takes less than 5 minutes. The ones on eBay have the rear hatch button, and my car does not have a remote hatch function, but the remote still works. Right now he is selling them for $225, but he has done that in the past when his inventory starts running low. Normally he will drop the price when he gets another big shipment in, so you can keep an eye on him. I don't think you can program another key by yourself unless you have one handy, so if you're asking this question because you lost your only remote, you will have to go to a dealership.

6. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can program used keys to your vehicle with the right equipment along with techstream. Be careful when programming so that you don't accidentally leave yourself keyless.
    Most services will charge extra if you do not purchase the key through them.
    Too often, customers make an error and purchase the wrong keys. Then when they bring them to the programmer they end up wasting a lot of time.
    Kind of frustrating.