1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 prius OEM 17 inch rims - What are the best tires for highest MPG?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by locc, Jul 2, 2018.

1. locc

locc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I currently own a 2010 Prius with 89k miles with 17" OEM 5 spoke rims. I'm currently getting an average of 32 MPG. I was wondering what brand LLR tires should I purchase so I can get the highest MPG? Are people getting better gas mileage with swapping over to 205/50/17?

2. John O Larson

John O Larson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I currently own a 2010 Prius with the 215/45R17 factory tires & 65K on the speedo. I get 48 to 50 mpg on a regular basis. I bought the car used 4 months ago from a good friend that was down sizing from 2 cars to 1 car. It has a comfortable ride & handles the corners well. Being a retired senior, I am easier on the gas pedal than when I was 20 years old. My friend installed Michelin Primacy MXM4 performance tires & seem to grip the road well. We have a lot of rainy days here in Western Washington & I am pleased with way the car performs. John

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Caoboy

Caoboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    32mpg holy cow, I’d have to be doing 100mph on my daily commute to pull that.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not sure how I missed this thread. I have a 2010 Canadian Touring, came with the 17" rims/tires. The original tires, and they're still on, are Michelin Pilot HX MXM4.

I'd second The Michelin Primacy HXM4 recommendation, just from what I've been reading. They're one of a dwindling number of Michelin tires that still have the "Green X" label, as opposed to "Total Performance". Both these badges are assigned to tires Michelin claims as Low Rolling Resistance, but I get the sense the TP badged tires tend to compromise rolling resistance more.

Another interesting option is Bridgestone Ecopia EP422, but personally I'm exasperated by the multiple itterations of this tire: there's a US, Mexican and Japanese version, and each has tread pattern differences, different wear index, and so on. Too much of a "moving target" for my taste. There was even a US customer who got a set these installed, and got a pair of Mex and US.

I think you would get better mpg with 205/50R17. On the other hand: they often seem to be higher load limit, firmer tires. Also, places like Costco may not install, since they're not spec tire.

I'd chime in too: 32 mpg average is not good, even for 17's. What's your driving? Lot of short trips? Has it always been this low, or more so of late?

5. RMB

RMB Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow this thread started 3 months ago and how did we all missed it LOL!:ROFLMAO:
    OP has been away for 13 weeks, basically signed up, posted, and never came back. :whistle:

Anyways, for me, I am on Firestone FR740, as wheels and tires were taken off from Corolla S, I have been getting 47-50 mpg for wet winter months and 50-53 mpg for warmer months (more like 9 out of 12 months in the Bay Area are warm and dry:rolleyes:). Don't think FR740's are LRR but my driving conditions and speed is giving me pretty good gas mileage.

Mendel Leisk likes this.