1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius only getting 32 mpg due to wheels/tires...need recommendations on replacements

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by GoldenKiwi, Jul 20, 2013.

1. GoldenKiwi

GoldenKiwi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I bought the car six weeks ago with 18" aftermarket wheels and Z-rated tires. I figured I might be taking a small, maybe 2-3 mpg hit with this set-up and it would be worth the sacrifice, but I am getting only 32 mpg. I need to find replacement wheels/tires, as this defeats the whole purpose of having a Prius.

I'm not a fan of the standard 15" wheels and would prefer not to go with those even though they would give me optimal mpg. Right now I'm most interested in the Persona 17" wheels, although I would take a 4-5 mpg hit using those. I have no idea about what tires I should get. I am looking for other wheel/tire suggestions that would minimize my mpg loss to no more than the Personas would.

Wheels/tires currently on the car:
    Konig Deception 18X9 / MAYRUN MR500 225/40ZR18 92W XL

Edit: I live in San Diego, winter tires are not necessary.

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    sarir97 and JMD like this.
  3. GoldenKiwi

GoldenKiwi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So if I were to get one of these 18" tire sets that would solve my problem? Why are the current tires I have dropping the mpg by so much? How do I go about picking the right one? I'm in San Diego so the "Ice & Snow" tires would definitely not be necessary.

4. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just put the original rims and tires type back on the car

5. GoldenKiwi

GoldenKiwi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did you read my post? I bought the car used...1) I do not have them and 2) I don't like the way they look...apparently you don't either because it looks like you have the 17s on yours.

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not likely, unless you practice some extreme hypermiling techniques. You'll do better than 32 mpg if you get LRR tires for your existing 18" rims but you'll probably not achieve 50 mpg unless you downsize to smaller and narrower wheels. The width of your current wheels are also killing your mpg. Also, some people are of the opinion that the factory 17s (including the Persona wheels) are optimized for fuel economy in terms of offset and aerodynamics. If you're fine with a 2-3 mpg hit, then go ahead and get the Persona rims and LLR tires.

7. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Size of the rim isn't a big deal, its the rolling circumference of the tire installed on the rim, and the total weight of both tire and rim. You should be looking to duplicate the weight and rolling circumference of the original setup. Doesn't really matter how you get there. I agree that the width and offset of the rim/tire combo should be similar to original.

8. FishCandy

FishCandy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a set of frs wheels and tires 17 inch like stock. Out of box condition. That will help your mpg.

9. GoldenKiwi

GoldenKiwi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Where are you located?

10. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Where are you located? In this weather, your car might be running A/C a bit more often than normal which at times, forces your engine to run.

I run 225/40/18 Continental ExtremeContact DWS and I can pull 50mpg if I try. Lately I've been averaging less than that because I let my car sit and idle to keep the A/C running.

If you look at TireRack.com, there are two low resistance tire offerings.
    Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS
    Continental ContiTouringContact CW95

I was going to go with the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum, but decided to go with the Continental tires.

11. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    sounds like it's more than tires killing your MPG

12. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You also have to consider how long it will take for fuel savings (if any) to make up for the cost of new wheels and tires. Me thinks 32mpg is not just from the 18 inch wheels alone. Maybe you should drive a tank or two while trying your best for fuel economy and see what numbers you get. Have you ever reset the fuel avg meter?

13. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    32 mpg, it's not just the wheels, I'd have the obd2 port read for codes, something stinks

14. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Although I avg. 46-48mpg, my leadfooted wife avg 39-41 in our 2010 so add in large/heavy 18's and I can see 32ish. That's why I suggested the OP focus on driving economy first.

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  15. FishCandy

FishCandy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cerritos ca

16. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree that it's not just tires at play here. You have to be racing a Prius in winter to get mpgs this low. I have factory 17s and I'm pulling 55mpg these days.

To the OP: you need to provide more info if you this problem solved.

-length of your drives
    -carrying passengers
    -A/C on, how high?
    -how fast do you accelerate? Do you go all the way past the PWR zone on the HSI Display?
    -mostly freeway, or stop and go traffic?

17. GoldenKiwi

GoldenKiwi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    San Diego. I have been running the A/C with the windows down, and I do keep my bike in the car as well, although I can't see that being that significant of a factor as to have the mileage dropping that low. Unfortunately Friday was the first time I actually calculated my mileage, but having been familiar with my mom's 2010 Prius I do feel mine was getting poor mileage even before I put the bike in there and driving with the A/C on. I don't feel that I drive aggressively either, it usually says "ECO" on the dash.

18. GoldenKiwi

GoldenKiwi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I contacted several Toyota dealerships in my area and they said it was extremely unlikely it would be anything other than the wheels/tires, and they would charge me $55 for a diagnostic check that would take longer than 1/2 an hour...somehow I feel like there would be no way they would get it done in under that amount of time.

19. GoldenKiwi

GoldenKiwi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The past fill up (the only one I've calculated) about 50/50 city/highway. I have been running the A/C with the windows down, and I do keep my bike in the car as well, although I can't see that being that significant of a factor as to have the mileage dropping that low. Unfortunately Friday was the first time I actually calculated my mileage, but having been familiar with my mom's 2010 Prius I do feel mine was getting poor mileage even before I put the bike in there and driving with the A/C on. I don't feel that I drive aggressively either, it usually says "ECO" on the dash.

20. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Why would you want to do that? It let's all the cool air out. :confused: