1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 prius overheating after cleaning egr, intake manifold, changing oil and tune up.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Slim shady, Sep 10, 2022.

1. Slim shady

Slim shady New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    17D0CE06-C85F-4623-9401-CC8E68EF5426.jpeg Hi everyone, I’ve been flowing the forum for a while but never actually posted anything. I need help with the overheating problem. So recently, I just cleaned my egr, intake manifold, throttle body, changed pcv valve, spark plugs, new coils pack, air filter, got my oil change. However, when I put back everything the egr gasket was leaking (the pic down bellow) so i took it out, replaced with a new gasket from the dealership and got it fix 2 days ago. After refilling the coolant, running the car in maintenance mode, my check engine light was still on, coolant fluid was boiling in the overflown tank, push most of the fluid out when the car started getting hot. I checked the radiator turn out only one of the fan is running (the one on the driver side). I also checked the oil level but I don’t see any coolant leak in the engine because the oil still look new, not milky. My radiator is a little bit bent from underneath but there is no leak. My question here is what cause my car overheating? Is it because one of the radiator fan is not running or something else like thermostat?? Have anyone faced the same problem? I also forget to mention that after turning the car off, I heard some kind of valve open and close on the egr side. Please help me out. I have been really frustrated with the car lately. Thanks in advance.

#1 Slim shady, Sep 10, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Was it on prior to commencement of your work? Read the code(s)?

There was no overheat prior to the work? If not, maybe air pockets in the coolant lines, something relating to your coolant drain/fill?

How many miles on it, and what motivated you to get going on this? Were there symptoms, codes?

bisco likes this.
  3. Slim shady

Slim shady New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Sorry for replying late Ive been looking for the solutions but there is none. I got the car when it was 250000 miles, and now it’s at almost 270000 miles. Yes, I just started doing all of this because recently, it cause me a lot of money for oil, I had to refill it every week and I started doing research, I see everyone say that better to tune up, egr cleaning, etc…. It was overheating when I first drove the car to my grandma after putting everything back. I tried to bleed all the air out with many method, squeezing the hose and leave the air plug open till coolant started dripping out. It wouldn’t help. Would it be the cooling fan?? because I just refilled today, put it in maintenance mode, at first when the car first warm up the coolant wouldnt boiling until it started getting hot and only the fan on the driver side that ran, the other wouldn’t run even when the coolant started boiling. And there is one more thing, I have tried to move the fan by hand the one that was running was free to move but the other didn’t. And btw I don’t have any scanner tool to scan the car. I’m new to fixing car. Anything would help me a lot. I would try to jack the car up and bleed the air out tmr one more time.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With the check engine light being on (still on?) there should be codes, might shed some light.

Could be water pump failing, but oddly coincidental to happen on the heels of a coolant change.

just considering the miles before the EGR was cleaned, it wouldn’t be a surprise if the head gasket was failing, though I’m not sure that would cause overheating. Is coolant level stable, any cold-start shakes?

yeah codes first.