1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Recall Official Notice (Online)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by eglmainz, Feb 9, 2010.

1. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This morning, when I logged into my 'toyotaownersonline' account, I discovered that I have been officially notified of a 'Safety Recall Campaign' on my 2010 Prius V (Delivered in June), for an 'ABS Actuator ECU Update'. I will schedule my appointment today to be sure this is fixed soon.

While I knew this was coming ever since I reported this issue on the forum on June 22 last year (http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-main-forum/67528-braking-problem.html) repeated trips to my dealer have been unable to replicate (as they have never let me show them). This is the same this as when I have been reporting to them that I can slow down by 5 miles or more when using cruise control via my brake pedal, and the release the brake, and have the car zoom back up to the preset speed. This has almost caused an accident several times.

To be honest, I am more worried about that issue than my brakes, as I have come to know I need an extra stopping distance on some surfaces. Maybe this time, they'll listen to me?

Attached Files:

2. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    on the 2nd problem, sounds like you have the DRCC on, and when the vehicle in front of you moves out of the way, the cruise control resumes to the speed it is set to. Try looking at the "set" speed to the right of the DRCC display.

My toyota account also shows this:

SAFETY RECALL A0B - CERTAIN 2010 MODEL YEAR PRIUS VEHICLES - ABS ACTUATOR ECU UPDATE Campaign Code: A0B Campaign Memo
    This is an important Safety Recall. Please contact your authorized Toyota dealer and schedule an appointment to update your vehicle's ABS Actuator ECU as soon as possible

Called my Toyota dealer and I am scheduled to have it fixed next tuesday, 2/16.

Mitch

3. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The brake should still override the DRCC...

4. garygid

garygid Senior Member - Blizzard Pearl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Presumably Toyota is only "fixing" one of 3 brake-related issues:

#2. Unexpected agressive acceleration at initial startup, and the associated "abrupt" braking.

#3. The DRCC and braking and unexpected abrupt-resume interaction.

5. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Mitch,

I appreciate the response, but I do not have the DRCC, as I only have a Prius V, without the Advanced Tech package. In any case, even if I had waited to get the car I really wanted (With the ATP), and I had applied the brakes, it should not resume to ANY speed until I manually click on Resume.

No, this is definately a case Cruise Control not being canceled because the brake pedal, while it is applying engine regen braking (Which I know as the HSI bar indicator goes into the regen area), but the Cruise light remains on, and as soon as I release the light braking pressure, the car will immediately zoom back up to it's speed.

I think that this is related to the fact that the switch which triggers the brake lights (and the electronic signal to cancel Cruise Control) is not pressed hard enough to activate. However, it is hard enough to slow the car by at least 5-10 miles per hour sometimes, and still remain active when I release my brake.

6. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Let's not jump the gun here. I have not heard of any 'aggresive acceleration' at initial startup, only an 'abrupt braking' issue at low speeds, and in my personal case, only in reverse. (This appeared to be more of a factor when the car - and my hybrid system experience - were brand new.)

As for your #3, there is no correlation between DRCC (Which I do not have on my car), and 'abrubt resume'. This has been seen by others as an issue where the travel distance for activating the switch may be adjusted, fixing this.

7. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This makes more sense. My advice would be to apply the brake pedal harder when you are expecting to have the system cancel. These things aren't perfect, cruise control is not a replacement for aware driving.

8. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree. This was only discovered by when simply covering my brake, in anticipation of needing to potentially slow down slightly for traffic (on a highway). I covered the brake, and gently slowed down by a few miles per hour. To be completely honest, the first time I did this, I assumed that I was simply coasting, and not pressing the brake at all.

Then, as I noticed the car was at the correct speed, I slid my foot towards to accelerator, anticipating that I would soon be giving it a little juice to maintain my speed, and before I could do that, the car zoomed from 49 to 55 again, almost hitting the car in front of me, and freaking me out, as I assumed that they CC had been canceled by my slowing down by at least 6 miles per hour.

Ever since this once incident, I have been able to replicate it on demand virtually every time I try to (to demonstrate it). As a result, I have not been caught unaware since, however I do feel that someone could end up in an accident over this, either from hitting the rear of someone, or over-reacting to this, and causing an accident that way.

In my opinion, if I use the brake pedal, and the car senses that I am slowing it (through regen braking if not the brake light switch), then it should at the very least, cancel the CC immediately and maybe beep or somehome let the driver know that they are back in control (even if only deactivating the 'Set' light on the dash).

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That is the issue. This has been documented by several other posters.

Tom

10. observing

observing Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So, I also received the safety recall campaign notice via toyotaownersonline.com and called R&H Toyota in Owings Mills, MD. When I described the notification, the telephone operator put me on hold to speak to someone over there. When she came back, she said that they weren't scheduling appointments until owners received notification by first class mail. She said that they weren't expecting anyone to schedule an appointment because "the notices weren't being sent out until early February." I wonder what month they think it is over there?

11. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If it's just 5 mph or so you want to slow down, use the stalk to decrease the set speed. Use the brake (harder) only when you want to deactivate it.

12. ajworld85

ajworld85 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi all, I bought my new Prius III on 1/31, with a manufacture date of 12/09.
    I saw the Japanese recall last night, then the US recall this morning, and called my dealer today at 9AM. Brought my car over at 10AM, and now waiting for reprogramming to finish. The service dept told me that I was the first 2010 Prius owner to get the fix at the dealership. (Fresno, CA)

I just hope this new code won't screw up something else... fyi I've been trying to replicated the braking problem but no luck.

13. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Use the stalk to deactivate too. It's easier to give the stalk a quick pull than to step on the brake. I only deactivate CC with the brake if I am forced to jump on the brakes.

Tom

14. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I agree that is the preferred procedure, which I use too.

But it also sounds as though some people are using CC in heavier traffic than is advisable under the circumstances.

15. tekgirl

tekgirl New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm in NJ and my dealer had appts for this week and next. I don't think you have to wait for an official notice. I don't have one.

16. joeb24

joeb24 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was told by a dealer in northern VA that I have to wait for the official notice before scheduling an appointment.

17. flbntz

flbntz My First Toyota

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My dealer showed up on the internet as offering to fix recalled brakes on Prius' before people received their recall notifications. I called, and they said "no problem", and I'm scheduled for next Wednesday. They said it should take about an hour.

18. odaigle

odaigle New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No recall for Canadian Priuses yet... Bought mine late November 2009. Logged in at clubtoyota.toyota.ca. They say there is no campaign for my vehicule as of February 9th 2010 (today, if I am right). As far as I know, we have the same ECU...

19. ePrius

ePrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Took them 2 hours to service my car.