1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius Recall Software Update Experiences

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Danny, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Let's use this thread to discuss your 2010 Prius software update experience. Keep things nice and tidy.

Did you have any problems with your software update? How long did it take?

Looking forward to the responses. My experience will be posted soon to the PriusChat front page.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My update went off without a hitch. I was in and out in about 20 minutes; The actual process only takes several minutes. The in between time was spent bs'ing and signing paperwork... Here are some pictures of what is being done in case people want to know what was going on while their car was being updated:

This is the port that they plug into in order to administer the update. It is located under the steering wheel, in the drivers footwell.

[​IMG]

Here is a better view of where it is located with the cable plugged in.

[​IMG]

Here is one of the screens showing the program which administers the update

[​IMG]

This screen shows the old Calibration ID which is being replaced with the new Calibration ID. In this case Old Calibration ID is F152647123 and the New Calibration ID is F152647126. Please note, your codes will vary as was just discovered. Packages such as the Advanced Technology package, Nav etc will make this code different for each person and what model/package Prius they have.

[​IMG]

And finally here is a picture of the computer all plugged in administrating the update.

[​IMG]

23 people like this.
  3. Russell Frost

Russell Frost the whatdrives.us guy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine went fine

The comparison to updating the software on your computer is perfect really because that's exactly what this is. Your bring in your car. They connect it up and ten or fifteen minutes later, it's done. A good dealer will go back in with another scan tool to make sure all the updates are in place and there are no error codes. Piece of proverbial cake.

Here's my
    . It's much longer and filled with irrelevant stuff.

7 people like this.
  4. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Re: Mine went fine

I can't watch it...I'm getting a "private video" message.

Update: Finally got it to play- thanks Russell- I enjoyed the video and found it helpful. I'll know more what to expect when I take mine in now. Good work on the video- looks COLD there!

5. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've heard nothing directly either from Toyota or my dealer (Burien Toyota) about the recall. Seems like other dealers have been more agressive in reaching out to Prius owners. Given my experience with the change to the 10k oil change interval (Burien Toyota only heard about it last month!), it may take weeks to months for all dealership to get up to speed on the ABS update.

6. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Have you called your dealer to inquire? I am willing to bet they have the update and have received the proper documentation on it.

As for hearing from Toyota, the first letter were just sent out, so give it time, I'm sure you'll receive one of the mailings being sent out.

In the meantime, give the service department a call. You can probably schedule an appointment w/o a problem to go in and have the update performed.

7. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone able to explain exactly what the software update does to the ABS performance? I have no problem with the way the Prius brakes on rough surfaces, I can feel the "inconsistency" in braking power, but it doesnt bother me.

After the update what is the change in braking? Does the "mechanical" brakes activate sooner, the regen braking not as effective?

I cant really find what the update does.....if its voluntary I'm not sure if I want to have it done.

8. richsc

richsc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I agree: no hurry if it really doesn't do that much, unless my car insurance decides it is mandatory, which overrides any other concern. Speaking of which, have the underwriters weighed in on this?

9. jukeboy

jukeboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    checked with Symes Toyota in Pasadena and they said they'll probably start at the end of the month; BS or simply misinformed?

10. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I just had mine done @ Avondale Toyota. The recall process itself was pretty quick, however I was having the 10k service and an alignment check done at the same time. The biggest hold up was the complimentary car wash, which was almost a waste because it began raining as soon as they got the car back. They felt so bad, they comped the balance of the service.

I didn't mind the wait much as I had a chance to catch up with some of the salesmen and customers who also had one or more Prius (I'm telling you, Sun City West is the AZ Prius capital - there's a TON of them there!). I also had a chance to look at a fully loaded 2011 Toyota Sienna - this will be a killer car if/when it receives a hybrid power-train. Interestingly enough, their floor mats have a "tag to be removed only by consumer" warning which advised that they be secured properly at all times - a new CYA for sure.

I wasn't offered the opportunity to go back to watch the recall itself, but did spend the time chatting w/ the service manager about the difficulties in disseminating undocumented problems between dealers, etc. A very eye-opening and candid discussion, which revealed that Toyota is moving forward in the right direction to correct some of the shortcomings that permitted the previous weeks situations to occur.

I also had the chance of overhearing some of the other service advisers as they managed customers with other vehicles subject to various recalls (floor mats or pedals). I heard them explain the problem clearly to the customer, what exactly they did (in this case, it was floor mat clips that weren't properly secured), and why the vehicle may or may not have been subject to other campaigns as well. They also emphasized checking the computer for any other applicable service campaigns or updates (as Russell mentioned above).

All in all, pretty painless. Try to schedule this rather than just showing up - your wait should be less. Most dealers will check the VIN to ensure your car qualifies and should be able to get you right in at a time that works for you.

11. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I'm not 100% on this, that is that every dealer has the fix already, but I would think they do. I'm going to guess that with all the other vehicles they are working on concerning the pedal recall, your dealer is buying a little time to clear them out of the way...

12. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    My sources have told me the update was available for download Tuesday (2/9) morning. Tech training may be a barrier, but it's not a complicated process.

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL!! I think this thread may end up being in the running for the most boring thread in the history of Priuschat...Every post will run like:
    That said, I do think it's a good thread to have, it will reassure those who haven't had it done and want to know what to expect.

14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe someone could clarify because I admit I could be wrong. But I think "voluntary" in regards to the recall means Voluntary from Toyota's Motor Corportations decision to execute the recall themselves. I don't think it means it's being presented as optional to the end user.

If you passed on or held off on doing the update I'd think you'd be putting your warranty and yourself in a bad position if you ever did have any accident or problem with the brakes.

Does anyone know specifically what the legal ramifications are for Prius Owners that might want to NOT do the update?

15. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

I'm not a lawyer, but I think once the recall was announced and you, as the owner, received notice of this via mail, you may no longer have legal ground in any sort of lawsuit (class action or otherwise) if the defect were to cause an accident and you were found to have willingly foregone the remediation offered by the manufacturer. Toyota is doing their part to resolve a problem, but it's up to the owner to deliver the vehicle for repair.

I'm not sure NHTSA has the authority to prohibit the operation of the vehicle until the repairs are made (very much unlike the FAA for a known problem with an aircraft). However, in some jurisdictions, the ability to resell the vehicle could possibly be affected. Can or should you really sell a car with a known, documented safety defect for which a known, simple, safe and free repair exists?

Edit: Reviewing Toyota's own documentation states:

16. mattjw83

mattjw83 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For those of you that received the update, can you tell a difference? Do you feel any change in braking if you are on a slippery surface or bumpy road?

17. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. I'm not versed in this specific area of law so didn't want to give a definitive reply.

Also just in general, I'd recommend everyone have the update done.. That may be the very reason Toyota ultimately did this as an official recall as opposed to a Special Service Campaign.

There has been a little feedback on Prius Chat from owners hesitant to do the update...but the reasons for not doing it imo aren't worth the risk you might be putting yourself in.

My opinion but I'd do it.

18. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    After watching Russell's video, there was one thing I forgot to mention. They do hook up a 'booster pack' to the 12v battery in the trunk of the car. I didn't ask about this, I know my fault, but I think they do this to maintain something like 13.5V while the upgrade is being performed to protect against a voltage drop and corrupting the program in the ECU.

1 person likes this.
  19. rsgillmd

rsgillmd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I found out about the recall at Toyota Owners Online page -- something I only registered for a few days ago. The notice I saw on the page, after logging in, was:

SAFETY RECALL A0B - CERTAIN 2010 MODEL YEAR PRIUS VEHICLES - ABS ACTUATOR ECU UPDATE
    Campaign Code: A0B Campaign Memo
    This is an important Safety Recall. Please contact your authorized Toyota dealer and schedule an appointment to update your vehicle's ABS Actuator ECU as soon as possible.
    The webpage address is:

http://www.toyotaownersonline.com/siteid=too_ssc_201001_rd_tcom

The registration link is on the bottom right corner of the black box on the page.

I hope Toyota makes this a little more public, because if they depend on dealers people like me would fall through the cracks. I bought my car in NJ in June, and moved to Memphis, TN in July. I wouldn't even have known about the decision unless I checked that website or this PriusChat (which I haven't visited since 2/7). I got no phone call or email, and no letter (my parents still live at the NJ address).

I am going to have my software updated this coming Saturday at Chuck Hutton Toyota (nearby Memphis dealer). For those who haven't heard yet, I would say call a dealer directly to schedule an appointment.

20. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    That would explain why the contents of my trunk had be moved to the center ;)

1 person likes this.