1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius - sneak peek of solar roof panel

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ken1784, Dec 31, 2008.

1. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,

Found Toyota's ad on the new year's Japanese newspapers.

Enjoy,
    Ken@Japan

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• ad-1.jpg
      ad-1.jpg
      File size:
      40.4 KB
      Views:
    • ad-2.jpg
      ad-2.jpg
      File size:
      42.2 KB
      Views:
  2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And I suspect a sunroof.(front half)

Did you also notice the steering wheel appears to be on the right which is correct for Japan but the wipers are the wrong way around????

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Suspected as much...nice find Ken.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    sunroof AND solar.

Is there a drool emoticon?

5. kinghuang

kinghuang Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Whoa, I suspected it'd be a choice between sunroof or solar panels. Never expected both! :eek:

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice find!! Thanks for posting ken1784.

hmm, the Prius looks like a van from above hehe. Anyone noticed the wheel design? They almost look like wheel covers (instead of alloys) and 15" in size.

Also, couldn't they still incorporate thin solar panel wiring in the moonroof like how audi and BMW did it with their solar panel moonroof option?

7. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    nice

but i want total roof solar

8. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Now to hope that they offer the 'premium' Prius' in all markets within the U.S.

I don't get why Toyota's marketing department wouldn't allow the NYC metro area to receive Prius' with leather when I ordered my 2006. Hopefully Prius Team reads all of our concerns and makes sure that at least us prius fanatics can get the cars we want when they come out in our local areas... :)

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok... i take your guy's word for it, because i rreally cant tell what i am looking at.

10. marcoinpb

marcoinpb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    . . . I don't get why Toyota's marketing department wouldn't allow the NYC metro area. . . .

Not exactly what I think you ran into. It is the DEALER or the regional Distributor that steered you to aftermarket leather. When I bought my Prius in Palm Beach, I was told the same thing. When I got to know the owner of the dealership, he told me that the aftermarket leather made the dealer far more money than the sale of the Prius. FWIW, I got the factory leather and it was more expensive than aftermarket - but i DID get the factory, leather covered steering wheel! That leather covered steering wheel is a good clue as to factory installed leather.

Cheers,

11. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I tried several dealers both near and some far away from my house and all told me the same story, that you could get the Prius loaded but Toyota isn't sending any leather ones into this region/area or whatever they call it. Yet Pennsylvania dealers were able to get them. Now come on, nothing against PA but Toyota, really, you'll send leather there but not the Tri-State area?!

Anyways, I'm just HOPING that they don't pull this stunt again when it comes to the 2010 with upscale packages such as the solar roof panel etc... Maybe with the help of sites such as priuschat opening their eyes small problems such as this will be easily corrected. :)

12. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Why ToyotaUSA apportions the Touring model in particular, and the various
    packages on both Std and Touring, has been a frustrating unsolvable
    mystery for some time. At best it seems like some weird sociological/
    psychological/marketing game.

If I were to be thinking of getting a specific 2010 model, -- Std or Touring --
    a particular option package, and maybe even color, I would start now to
    pre-identify likely regions, and even dealers that will get what I wanted. It's
    going to be a multi-step process.

First you have to expect that Toyota will continue its strange apportionment
    game. So here's a map showing the different sales regions:

http://www.sponsorwise.com/images/sp...gionalList.pdf

[Edit: Uh oh! the map is no longer available, it was on a Toyota related site,
    maybe they decided it's open availability is "unauthorized." With luck a member
    downloaded it before it disappeared. This could be a real problem. Sorry]

Next you need a list of cities and their zip codes.

Lastly, you would go to the Toyota site for "building" your own car, which I
    understand allows for 2010 "building." Plug in your zip code, and see what
    you can get. If you don't like it, plug in the zip for a city in an adjacent sales
    region. You will see that different regions get different option packages.
    Repeat as necessary to find the region where your preferred car is
    available. It may be many miles away.

Knowing the correct sales region should mean that any dealer in that region
    can get your car. Lastly, using Internet car search sites, you would identify
    and contact dealers to begin the negotiation get your best price -- there may
    not be any actual negotiating opportunity for 6-9 months after model
    introduction.

A real pain in the butt, but as I see it, that's the way the game has to be
    played if you absi-tively, posi-lutely have to get your perfect dream 2010
    Prius.

Hope this helps, and good luck finding your perfect Prius.

13. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is purely a regional thing. Toyota corporate actually has no say whatsoever what a local region orders. What the dealers were telling you at that time was that in the NY/NJ region the dealers at the regional level decided that leather wouldn't sell.

PA btw is in my region, CAT. In those states the dealers decided to order Prius' with leather.

In the Boston region they may have had a different position altogether.
    Ditto the Cincinnati region.
    Ditto in spades for SET and GST...they are always different.

14. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Again this is done solely on a regional basis and TMS has little or no say in what each region decides as long as it's within TMS's overall guidelines. In CAT ( Central Atlantic Toyota ) region we did order some Touring models when they were first introduced. They all sat and sat and sat and sat. The dealers as a group decided after a few months never to order them again except as special orders and then probably they looked outside the region, say to NY/NJ, if they had to get one.

15. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    DeadPhish,

By your use of "we," I'm taking it that you are, or work at, a dealer, and
    speak from direct, first-hand experience.

Thank you for revealing what's up on the Touring availability question in the
    Central Atlantic Region. In my direct experience with 4 dealers in the
    Ballamer area, you are the first and only dealer that didn't get more than a
    little testy when I asked the question last year.

FWIW, I ended up getting my Touring in Rhode Island with an Internet sale.

Again, a tip o' the hat. :yo: :thumb:

Having my question finally answered is just another example of why I find
    PriusChat to be a real asset and treasure trove if useful information.

16. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We are only here to be of service ... you're welcome. :)

17. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I stopped in my local dealer yesterday and has a discussion with the general manager about a few things one of which was about this regional issue. I explained to him how when I ordered my 06' thru him it became a problem once we found out that NYC wasn't getting leather.

At that time I didn't bother to have him look in other area's for one but now I let him know that once the info is available for the 2010 I do want it with everything. He said that he would be able to look or ask other regions if they would swap but he did say (and I forgot his wording) that they either don't like to do it or it isn't 'technically' allowed. Would you be able to clarify DeadPhish? Thanks for the help and trying to make us better understand all of this. I still say it is weird that in NYC though they wouldnt make that a region and that this region wouldnt allow loaded cars to be brought in...

18. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    DeadPhish,

Perhaps you would consider one additional small item of service for Touring
    model searchers.

The map of the Toyota sales regions that I found on the 'net last year is no
    longer available. I know from my experience that not having the map is a
    real stumbling block for folks who really, really want a Touring, and are
    prepared to travel to get it.

Would it be at all possible for you to provide a cite to a similar map, or if
    not a map, a listing of the states in each sales region?

Thanks in advance.

19. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe that you did the right thing in introducing yourself to the GSM at your local store. Developing a relationship is always a good thing. His one objective is more units. If he can get you one I'm certain that he will.

That being said some stores, like ours, is just more flexible in trying different ways of accomodating buyers. We will bend over backwards to make a sale if necessary ( I've personally delivered vehicles to DC, Cincinnati and Atlanta buyers ). Being from NYC myself I also understand the pressures of the city. There are an awful lot of buyers in your immediate market. One more or less is not huge in the overall picture.

Most dealers will do a 'preferencing' for serious buyers. That's actually what an order is in Toyota's lingo. The plant builds the vehicles, especially when they're made in Japan, puts them on a ship and sends them. Just before the vessel arrives at Newark ( for stores from Maine to our store on the VA/NC line) each store is given an allocation. Toyota at the regional level ( Boston, NY/NJ, CAT ) will assign these arriving vehicles to each store based on past selling performance and recent investments. The bigger stores get more and get taken care of first.

This is where 'preferencing' is important. The dealer and the region know that this preferenced vehicle is a real firm sale with a deposit with a buyer that will not back out. The regional office tries to fill these preferences first to make sure these real actual customers get served first. That assumes that the color and package combo actually exists and is actually on that ship. If it's not on the vessel then it stays in abeyance until the next vessel and allocation arrive. Repeat process.

Ordering a specific non-standard configuration from Japan is next to impossible.

If all else fails then the GSM can look into Dealer Daily and see all the inbound shipments and all the on hand inventory for every dealer under the Toyota regional control. They all use Dealer Daily as an intranet.

Two regions are outside this system. SET from NC to Miami to Alabama and GST which covers LA, TX, Ark and maybe OK. They each have their own systems since they are independent distributors.

If your local GSM can locate the vehicle in the configuration you want outside his region then he likely can try to get it but it won't be inexpensive. Cincinatti is the region next to CAT and we never exchange with them. However CAT stores in WV will exchange with Ohio stores. In NYC your store does have access to the Boston and CAT data since all the vehicles arrive at Port of Newark.

All that being said this is the normal situation say at this time. When the Prius first arrives nothing will be normal. It may be months or even years until there are 'free units' available for swapping. When the Gen 2's first came out all stores were sold out for 18 months. At the same time the current Sienna arrived and it too was sold out for 12 months. It just depends.

20. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have all the states just a listing by memory..
    Boston is the N England states
    NY/NJ is NY, NJ & Ct I believe
    CAT is PA, MD, DE, DC, WV, VA
    SET is NC, SC, GA, FL, AL
    GST is MS, LA, TX, AK, OK
    Cinci is OH, KY, TN and MI (?)
    Chicago
    St Louis
    Denver
    SoCal ( 2 regions? )
    NorCal
    Sea/Port

Others might be able to fill in the holes above.