1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius stalled on Freeway tonight - check hybrid system

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by xcuter, Jan 5, 2019.

1. xcuter

xcuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Tonight while driving home on an incline I felt my Prius lose power and would not accelerate. Then the “check hybrid system” and other various days lights went on. I was able to pull over and get car towed home. Does this sound like the issue stated in recall J0V? I guess next step would be to tow it to the dealership .

2. MichaelKnight

MichaelKnight Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. Robertto09

Robertto09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Days ago exactly the same thing happened to me, checking the car I found that I had a fault in the engine water pump, and doing a more exact follow-up, I found that the relay of the engine water pump had failed. I changed it and the problem was solved. Check this Relay, possibly that may be the problem

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Since the check hybrid system message illuminated, are you sure it was the engine water pump and not the inverter water pump?

If the car has sat for a bit does it restart? Is there movement in the inverter reservoir?

#4 Raytheeagle, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    m.wynn likes this.
  5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    J0V update will make sure your car goes into limp mode and pull over "safely" if inverter fails, which sounds like you did successfully so technically you don't need the fix. Sounds like your inverter kicked the bucket.

m.wynn likes this.
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sooner or later, trouble codes will be read, and then we'll all know what we're looking at.

The recall pertains to one reason the inverter can stop inverting (when a transistor inside the inverter actually fails). But there are other reasons the inverter can stop inverting (such as a failure of its coolant pump, making it stop inverting on purpose so the transistors don't fail; fix the pump and it's happy again). So it's worth checking for that, as Raytheeagle suggested.

But as to whether to start by trying to enumerate possibilities and check them, or start by asking the car why it stopped, I would start by asking.

If there is damage in the inverter, and if it is the kind of damage addressed in the J0V recall, you can take it in for the recall and the inverter will be repaired.

Bay Stater and m.wynn like this.
  7. Robertto09

Robertto09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My inverter reservoir has movement. The engine water pump relay was the problem

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

m.wynn likes this.
  8. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Check the codes yourself. If the car is storing one or more of these codes, P0A94, P324E, P3004 and/or P0A1A, IPM failure is confirmed and you're fully warrantied for 15 years/unlimited miles under the ZE3 warranty extension. This would be the failure mode the J0V is tied to.

Bay Stater and JC91006 like this.
  9. xcuter

xcuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for all the support. I have ordered a miniVCI diagnostic cable to retrieve codes. While I await for it I’ll check the water pump relay as well.

iPhone ?

10. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good move(y).

11. xcuter

xcuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ok guys I’m so embarrassed. Ended up juts being out of gas . But strange thing is I had 1 bar left when the car stalled, but I was going up an incline. I was able to pour in 2.5 gallons and it started up and running like normal .

iPhone ?

m.wynn likes this.
  12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You need to install a new sending unit in the gas tank. Apparently they go bad and will give you false readings

Part 83320-47080

Lifetime01 likes this.
  13. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just a great reason NOT to let the tank get low! Shoot for fill up at half a tank, but NO less than 1/4 and you should be fine.

xcuter and Raytheeagle like this.