1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius start question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by tyrus13, Mar 8, 2010.

1. tyrus13

tyrus13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So I was test driving a 2010 Prius III earlier. It was rather cold outside (42 F), and the car only had 2 mile on it. When I turned the car on, after a few seconds, the ICE started running.

I remember reading somewhere that the ICE shouldn't be running when you start the car. Is this right? Is there something wrong with the car?

Thanks!

2. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    tyrus13,

If the 2010 is anything like my 2005 (& all the 2004 thru 2009 models---& it should be similar), the ICE always starts after about 7 to 10 seconds & will run for about a minute (to warm up the catalytic converter, etc) & then shut off again (if just sitting parked). It will STAY on however, if you have the heater on because your request for heat means that the ICE must run to heat up the rest of the coolant that wasn't stored in the thermos-type storage tank (the 2010 may not have this storage tank---I don't know).

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

3. nahtanoj

nahtanoj New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yep. engine starts up when it's cold to warm up. here in socal it only runs for a few minutes in the morning. during the day it won't come on until you get up to speed.

4. tyrus13

tyrus13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I see. Thanks guys!

5. lunabelgium

lunabelgium Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The colder time is and more the car consumes.
    It's why I'm thinking to use a heater during winter.