1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius trim V, w/o Nav, pre-purchase questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by damoursf, Nov 22, 2014.

1. damoursf

damoursf New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hello.

I've been shopping for a Prius for a while now and I have a nice opportunity, low km, squeakily clean 2010 Prius. w/o Nav, Trim V. After many searches, web forums and all, I decided to ask expert owners of Prius Chat for input. Thank you for you help answering these questions.

1. Can I bluetooth pair my iphone 3gs, OS 6.1.6 with this car, for phone communications?

2. If not, what Iphone-OS is this Prius yr/trim compatible with?

3. I understand, bluetooth music streaming with Iphone 3gs is not supported with this Prius yr/trim. I have a Belkin FM transmitter but won't consider using it since cigarette lighter in this Prius renders access and use very difficult. Connectivity through AUX affects audio quality I read. Open to suggestions and possible added investment, what would be my best, decent priced option(s) for: iphone music streaming with 3GS (and possible iphone 4 or 5 eventually) , audio quality, ease of use?

4. Should I consider investing in a remote starter for cold weather, not necessarily for comfort, but rather to start/heat/prep hybrid system for 45-60 secs prior to driving in very cold temperatures. I understand, an idle engine running is not env. friendly but could that extra 45-60 sec warmup in extreme weather have a positive on effect on engine/battery synergy ?

Thank you again for your help !!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! can't help on the bluetooth, but i'll take a shot at the remote start. if heat isn't your concern, the battery buffers engine use as it's warming up, so, unless you jumping in and hitting the highway, it really isn't necessary. prius engines warm up pretty quickly. another alternative is a block heater. all the best!(y)

3. damoursf

damoursf New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you !

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    To speed engine warm up I'd (heartily) recommend the block heater. Also, consider grill block. There's a thread here:

2010 Prius Grill Blocking strategy | PriusChat

BTW, I'm diametrically opposed to the concept of remote start. The Prius is all about saving gas, remote starts are all about wasting gas. If it's for clearing windshield, maybe you're between a rock and a hard place, have no alternative, have to park outside? But if possible, if it means clearing out a garage or whatever, just get the car in and out of the weather, good for mpg.

#4 Mendel Leisk, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  5. damoursf

damoursf New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Unless the car is early production there is a USB port in the center armrest. Put your favorite music on a thumbdrive. There are two aux power ports--one on the dash and the other next to the USB port.

7. damoursf

damoursf New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Bought it finally. Great deal.

1. Can pair my iPhone
    3. Iphone hooked to AUX for streaming.
    4. I did invest in a remote charger. Will start the car for 30-60 seconds in extreme cold weather when needed.

Happy with purchase after a week. Thank you all for your help.

8. neez

neez Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would just get an aftermarket multimedia head unit and be done with it. Pretty much all the name brands support iphone. I stream music via bluetooth on my android with a jvc head unit, it's so nice because spotify shows me the song information right on my head unit, and i can use the steering wheel controls to skip tracks. It's actually after this way, then playing through the AUX port and controlling via your phone.