1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius used as robbery getaway car by Tennessee football players

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As a South Carolina football fan and hater of all things Tennessee orange and white, this story is just too good to pass up commenting on. Earlier this week 3 Tennessee football players were arrested in connection to an attempted armed robbery. The details of the attempted robbery don't really matter to Prius enthusiasts, save one: their getaway car was a 2010 Toyota Prius. My guess is that they were hoping to use the EV mode to evade the cops.

2. havanese_boy

havanese_boy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A friend of mine in the Air Force always said, "There's nothing South of North Carolina".

UT football players was just trying to leave a smaller footprint as they robbed the place.

:)

3. eaglesight333

eaglesight333 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wait!... EV does not = Evade mode. What the Hey! Now I have to go back and redesign my plan. err.... umm.... I dont have any plans that I would need an evade mode for. :p

4. rcaine

rcaine Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I also saw the story this morning. Just goes to show that not every Prius driver is a genius like Dr. Charlie Epps on Numb3rs. Now if we find they are also members of Prius Chat we're going to have to rethink some things :).

5. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Why not? Maybe they plan to out-run the police by distance travelled.

6. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    No need to slow down and stop for gas!

7. Spectra

Spectra Amphi-Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As the desperados were fleeing, I bet they had the radio on & heard the APB for their car; then slammed the radio off, scratched their grizzled beards, said something like "it's gettin' too hot in here," and took a quick, skidding turn into a corn-field.

And I bet the whole thing happened in black & white.
    And that the police car chasing them was a 1955 Ford.
    And that the cop could see better by craning his neck to look forward out of his side window, than by looking ahead thru the windshield.

Maybe he was even shaking his fist at the Prius.

8. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well Toyota did want the Gen III Prius to get out to more mainstream users!!!

Wayne

9. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As noted in the other thread....this is clearly an indication of the difference in generations. A silver lining for every cloud.

Theives from MY generation would take some generic vehicle such as a Ford Taurus or Chevy Malibu to a robbery in order to be less conspicuous.

Theives from this current generation see the Prius as being the most common vehicle on the road thus being the least conspicuous.

A generation gap that holds great promise for our future.

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Well, if the Gen II Prius was good enough for Al Gore Junior, when HE tried to use a Prius to out-run cops chasing him for drug related matters, then why not? Just goes to show ya ... the Prius CAN get out of its own way
    ;)