1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius V - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by concertinajohnnyboy, Mar 27, 2010.

1. concertinajohnnyboy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

I recently removed the Toyo tires. I am very glad that I did. The Michelin tires drive much better. I've got better handling and a softer ride. Great job Michelin. :)

2. samsprius1

samsprius1 HEV Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    What was wrong with the toyo tires?? How many miles??
    Mine seem to be fine. sounds like a big expense!!

3. concertinajohnnyboy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    One of the Toyo tires had a screw in it. And, one of the local Toyota dealerships didn't properly repair the tire from the inside. They just put in a tire plug.

If I'm going 65mph or higher, I'd hate to have problems with a "tire plug" etc.

The Toyo tires seemed a bit harsh in the ride quality. My options were to either buy another new Toyo tire or just replace all of them. If you are not on the interstate hiways in Minnesota - the roads are very poor. I need a little more cushion. With my previous 2006 Prius, I had the Comfort tread tires. I was a little spoiled. So, now I have the looks, comfort, and longer tire life.

No doubt, this did cost some money. But, Discount Tire had a $70.00 rebate program going on. The tire was the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. They say they should be good for 45,000 miles. The DOT numbers on the tires tell me that they were made in the 19th week of 2009.

Honestly, this was a good purchase.

I can certainly feel the difference!

1 person likes this.
  4. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you see a difference, please post back comparative MPG numbers...!

Good luck with the Michelin Man.

5. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    As much as I dislike anything French, I recently did the same thing. I got the $70 rebate and Tire Rack had a sale on the tires. I have the four Toyo's in my garage with about 1,000 miles on them. I just didn't like them.

I don't think that miniscule MPG differences are really differences and I have no intention of trying to figure out the difference. I just try to do the best I can.

6. samsprius1

samsprius1 HEV Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e

7. LeeB

LeeB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Is there an improvement in the level of highway noise after replacing the Toyos with Michelins? I have Toyos on my V. I don't think the ride is bad, but at highway speeds they are a little noiser than I would like. I drove a V that had Michelins, and I thought it was quieter. If the Michelins are really quieter, I might want to also bite the bullet.

8. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    I think they are a bit quieter. I have no way of proving that, though. I just switched because I have had excellent luck with Michelins lately and had never heard of Toyo's until I bought this car. They do feel more responsive and better riding, even with a slightly higher PSI.

Anyone want some slightly used Toyo's?

1 person likes this.
  9. shawnb2

shawnb2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Interesting. I have the Toyo's as well and living in So. Cal we have to have some of the worst roads around and I love them. Maybe it's because I have come from sports cars and trucks to the quiet Prius but I love how quiet the ride is. I have 20k on the car already and have had them in the rain and have no complaints. Could just be personal preference as well as being used to a more quiet ride longer than I have been subjected to.

10. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a set of 17" Michelin Pilot Sports on order to replace my 15" Bridgestones. I have always been very happy with Michelin. Nothing but problems with Yokohama and Goodyear. Hopefully these prove to be a good tire.

11. bagwell

bagwell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm happy with the Toyos but may try these next.... (if you read the reviews some people have gotten 100K miles on these tires and the ARE LRR. (Obviously the Sport A/S will be better for snow)
    [​IMG][​IMG]Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 (Grand Touring All-Season

12. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Toyo Proxis A20 OEM tires have been very good for OEM tires. I have 36K miles on them now and they will go for another 4K or so.

When I replace them I will put on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, probably from either Tire Rack or Costco. I checked the Costco price on them a few months back and it was $766 for four mounted and balanced.

I had a set of the Michelin Pilot Sports on another car a couple of years ago and they are very good tires. I look forward to getting them, even though the Toyos have been good I think the Michelins will be a lot better.

13. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I paid $132 per tire at Discount. A friend of mine is the manager and I send him alot of business. Not sure what they normally sell for, but I know I paid alot more than that for Primacys for my Solara.

So are these tire LRR? I didn't think they were.

14. harry r

harry r slowly turning green

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    yea the french got this one right., I have had michelin's on my other cars with great success. As soon as the original ones wear out, that will be my choice too. good luck with them.