1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius V - three beeps when large cars drive by

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by tdub299, Aug 22, 2020.

1. tdub299

tdub299 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This is in reference to my 2010 Prius with 105000 miles on it.

I've been noticing that my Prius will make 3 short beeps when parked and a large car drives by, possibly shaking the car. Same noise that would happen if I try to open the door 2x without the key in my pocket, or if I bang something on the car when parked. This happens quite frequently on my street so I was wondering if this is some type of anti-theft feature that could be turned off. I also had another problem today with the alarm randomly going off for no reason, so those could be related.

Any thoughts? Help would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

2. wr69

wr69 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    this sounds bizarre and like a possible failing electrical component being shaken by vibrations. I dont have an exact cause at the moment, but see my write up on the external speaker functionality here. this writeup is for a base prius, which im pretty sure is built very much the same as the V. There are two speakers (buzzers in toyoya-speak) - one inside (by driver left dash) and one outside (by left front wheel well). this writeup is for the outside one. I think the inside one is controlled by the referenced ECU computer however.

No beep with locking car with fob? | PriusChat