1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius V used car - is it fair price?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by PriusLoverTexas, Nov 7, 2013.

1. PriusLoverTexas

PriusLoverTexas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    This is first Prius that I would be buying. I found this forum to be very useful and active for all information related to prius. Here is my dilemma:

I feel I have found a very good deal - Prius Five 2010 with 46k miles - It has all bells and whistles of Prius five 2010 + packages like - Lane assist, Dynamic Radar cruise control, Intelligent parking assist etc. The asking price is $19k (after negotiation). It seems like it was on lease for 3 years and the owner drove 15.5k miles/year. The car looks in a very good condition and this deal is from a toyota dealer.

Do you think this is a fair deal or am I paying too much for it? I see the MSRP of fully loaded prius 2010 was roughly $30k. A part of me says this is a good deal especially considering its fully loaded and another part of me says it may not be a very good deal considering its already clocked in 46k and it just went out of warranty recently. kbb gives this value as being in middle.

Any info. would be very helpful in making decision

2. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to the Prius addiction [​IMG]

It sounds like a decent price to me as long as it is a clean no accident vehicle, non-smoker, good tires and paint.

Mike

3. PriusLoverTexas

PriusLoverTexas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    1. It does come with clean carfax, non smoker
    2. I didn't pay too much attention to tires
    3. The paint looks good - there are one or two tiny scratches on the exterior which the dealer said would get it fixed since he's a toyota dealer.
    4. Also the navigation system was not working when I went for test drive - he mentioned that he would provide the map DVD once purchased. This is something I am not sure (since I never had navigation before ;)) - Will dealer providing a DVD fix all navigation/infotainment related problems at once or do I need to keep buying a new DVD every year?
    5. He also mentioned that the system is upgradable to new entunes framework (Prius 2012+) although based on my research I was pretty sure they aren't compatible. Any inputs?
    6. The dealer wasn't sure on features like IPA, LKA etc. and I didn't try it either. Are these nice to have features or are they mainly gimmicks?

My main dilemma is: Is it worth giving $19k for 2010 with 46k miles or is it better to pay $1k-2k extra and get 2012 with fewer miles? (I see that toyota removed Intelligent parking assist (IPA) in 2012 version and added HUD. I don't know if all these options are good paying for 2010 car or not)

WE0H likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'd go for the 2012 if you can afford it or even a new one. i prefer a new car with no bells and whistles. that being said, it does seem like a decent price. all the best!(y)

5. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Exactly my position on these options. It's not really going to park itself and unless you have nice white lines on the side of the road it's not going to steer for itself either.
    The DVD based navigation is not very good and yearly updates cost about $100.
    You are right the entunes interface was not part of the 2010.
    It should be on the second set of tires at this point. Check it for cheap non LRR tires.
    Make sure it has two remote key fobs. A replacement might cost over $250 and if you lost the ONLY/LAST one then it's $700/800 plus towing.

You might be able to buy a new 2013 Two for about the same cost per month.

6. zmoose

zmoose Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just bought a 2010 Prius IV with DVD Navigation, JBL speakers, backup camera, heated seats, leather, etc. (Mine doesn't have the LKA or IPA or Dynamic Cruise or Solar roof). It has 53k miles and is Blizzard Pearl. Looks in excellent condition. I got it for $16,500 in Minnesota.

As for your question about DVD Navigation you can click the "Phone / Info" button and there is a "Map Data" option. If you click there should be a way to eject the navigation DVD. If it doesn't exist then you'll need one and it should fix your navigation issues. If it exists and navigation isn't working then I doubt a new disc will fix it. You do not "need" to buy new DVD navigation software each year unless you want to update it with the latest maps for your region. Looking online I saw you can buy the DVD's for anywhere from $100 - $160. However, there are methods to get the latest software for "free" as well but its not legal to do.

Make sure you play with the center console / radio buttons a lot. Mine has a fault where the "Display" and "Setup" buttons fail to work sometimes. They instead act like tuner buttons and I was told to get this fixed requires replacing the entire unit which costs $2200. The failure rate was about 25% of the time in my experience. I bought the Toyota extended warranty so I'll be getting this fixed under warranty.

Personally I like the "bells and whistles" stuff but don't want to pay the huge premiums for it so buying a used vehicle is an easy way to get those upgrades but only paying a fraction of the cost.

As for mileage from my research these cars seem to run like a top for a very long time so I'm not too worried about it having 53k miles already. I did buy the extended warranty for peace of mind plus I knew I was already going to be using it for a $2200 repair for the center console issue explained above so I feel it was an okay deal.

I didn't research warranty prices before signing so I'm not sure if what I payed for a 2010 used Prius warranty through my Toyota dealer (Toyota Platinum Warranty) was a good price or not. I paid $2700 for the warranty and I think I may have overpaid but not sure where to find out if I did or not. I see lots of info about new car warranty but not much on used car.

7. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Moose,
    Welcome to the Prius addiction ;)

What part of MN are you in? I am just north of the Twin Cities.

Mike

8. zmoose

zmoose Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

A little south of you. Rochester, MN :) /wave

This is my first week driving a hybrid and I think I must be doing something wrong. I've used about half a tank but am only getting 37 MPG avg. I was expecting more but my commute isn't very long (little less than 3 miles one way 25-40 MPH) with 2 stop signs and 5 stop lights so maybe this is normal. When I test drove it I got about 44-50 MPG but I wasn't stopping as much and driving on 35-55 MPH roads.

I see you don't drive yours in the winter months here. I will be though so I hope it handles well enough in the snow :)

9. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Short trip in any car including the Prius will get you terrible mpg's. Prius just gets much higher than the crazy low mpg's of a regular gasser vehicle ;) As long as you have LRR (Low Rolling Resistance) tires than you are fine. Run them at least 40 psi. I run mine at 50 front & 48 rear I believe but I have the 17's rather than the 15's. Bummer your a couple hours south. I drive thru your town frequently but always in rentals as I travel almost every week. Last winter I drove a rental Prius thru Iowa in some wicked ice & snow. It handled perfect. I did get it sliding at 70 mph but it straightened itself back out as I slightly backed off on the throttle to scrub off some speed. It depends on your tires but I was driving a bone stock Prius Two from Hertz which usually has factory tires for the first 10-20k miles. I had the tires at 45 psi as I always set them to once I get the car home for clean up before a trip.

Mike

10. zmoose

zmoose Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My tires have a green cap on the stem. I'm told that means the have nitrogen. Do we need to use nitrogen?

11. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Only if you want to. Having nitrogen in your tires just costs money and unless you have a nitrogen tank & regulator at home for topping off the tires, you gotta head back to a tire shop and fork over the dough :( I run old fashion air in mine [​IMG]

Mike

12. zmoose

zmoose Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I heard Costco will fill with nitrogen for free. But I'd rather not deal with that hassle.

13. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No doubt. You can top them off with regular air if you like. Check them and see where there at first. They might be at a decent pressure but then again most shops set them to the pressure on the sticker in the drivers side door jamb. Many have found that low of a pressure causes cupping and or uneven tire wear :( I have never had good luck in any vehicle running them at 30 anything psi. Too squishy.

Mike

14. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  15. zmoose

zmoose Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Blizzard Brigade??
    What's that?

16. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Introducing the Blizzard Brigade | PriusChat

It's the thread where the Blizzard Pearl Prius owners go to get a number assigned to their car if they like. It doesn't mean anything official but sumthin to say you did ;)

Mike