1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius V water leak

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Beven, May 19, 2011.

1. Beven

Beven New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hi all --

Purchased a Prius V in Nov. 09, and have 53k miles on it already (so already passed the 3/36). Making a turn the other morning, I could have sworn I saw a stream of water leaking somewhere from the rear hatch in the rearview mirror. I chalked it up to seeing things...until it happened again Tuesday. I had the cargo cover pulled, saw the stream, and heard it land on the cover. It's raining in the Prius!

Has anyone seen this before? I made a stop at the dealership, and they're ripping everything apart now, and said they've found a leak near the hatch/seam area. I did purchase the extended warranty, so I'm just hoping it's covered since they're already up to a few hours in labor costs...

2. tomlouie

tomlouie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  3. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    II assume you have a 2010 Prius V. Your leak and the reference link from the OP sound different, but keep us posted as to dealer results. After 53K miles, sounds like chassis torque? may have loosened a seam weld which may be easy enough to fix. Of course, it may be just a plugged drain channel, too.

4. Beven

Beven New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So I heard back from the dealership - finally getting the car back after 3 days.

While I don't have the exact answer, from what I gather it was something about a seam. Extended warranty didn't cover, but the dealership was able to cover it under a good-will claim (as I'm there about every 5 weeks for maintenance anyway). Will post back with the exact answers...

5. GoldPianoGarden

GoldPianoGarden Bling Meister

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    what did you find out? I had water leak in my hatch on Sunday, all over the tops of the rear seats, the retractable cargo cover, and some items in the hatch behind the rear seats....

6. Beven

Beven New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Never really did find an exact answer. They checked everything to verify that it wasn't my fault (i.e. - non-reported accident), but all turned up clear. Said it was something during manufacturing, something with the weld, and they just let it go at that.

Since then tho I've moved on to a 2012 Camry SE -- guess it was one way to resolve the problem :)

7. GoldPianoGarden

GoldPianoGarden Bling Meister

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    bummer. I called the dealership today, and they want me to leave my car with them so they can "check it out"... Ask me if I want to leave my car with them! No! I don't trust them to take care of my car like I do. I've watched the way they get in and out of the cars, fly around the building in them, drag their greasy shoes over the door sills, etc. NOT in my car! lol