1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius V XM installation

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by MattD, Jun 3, 2009.

1. MattD

MattD Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When I picked up my Prius today from the dealer, I noticed the XM was activated -- how long does the complementary activation last, and how do I setup a permanent personal activation once it has expired? I couldn't spot any documentation on it.

2. netmask

netmask New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi Matt,

The car should have had a 1 pager on the XM radio in the glove box. You can active the radio (go to channel 0 I believe for your ID number) by going to (Sorry I just signed up to reply toyou, cant post the URL until ive made 5 posts or more apparently):

https FORWARDSLASH xmro-secure.xmradio.com FORWARDSLASH listenercare FORWARDSLASH login2.xm

Not sure on how long the free will last though.

3. MattD

MattD Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, the 1-pager wasn't in the box...but it's active...how long is the default free trial subscription?

4. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The free trial should last you 90 days from activation. The good thing is that none of these have had it activated for too long, as none have been sitting around for months.

I say this because I know someone who had a free XM radio with a new car, but as it was activated 5 months before he bought it, it expired right after delivery, and he was out if luck.

5. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's just silly. The XM really shouldn't be activated until final dealer prep.

6. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree with you. It was a Honda, and they had the car sitting on it's lot for a few months (5 at least, apparently), and for all he knew this car was prepped for delivery, and then it fell through? All I know is that he complained, and they were able to take care of him, as the dealer paid for the 6 month extension. (well, gave him cash out of his pocket, as he valued the business, since it was the third new car he bought from the same salesman. (Maybe we could entice to salesman sell Toyotas instead, as we could always use more good dealers who are loyal to their clients as well.) Jabber needs some competition... ;)

7. MattD

MattD Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Will XM allow me to create an active subscription if they already activated it in the vehicle for the dealer on a complementary basis?

8. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Danny, mine was active, however when I went to register the radio online, the XM site stated they hadn't received the dealer paperwork yet.

Then again, my car was still in Freight status until today despite receiving it Saturday. LOL

The complimentary subscription is XM Everything + Traffic. There's another thread in this forum that covers pricing, etc. http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...396-satellite-radio-without-subscription.html

9. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Allow the free trial to expire and then when you call them act like you don't want to pay THAT much for XM and tell them you heard about the $77 deal and they'll probably give it to you for $77/year.

1 person likes this.
  10. creativeguy

creativeguy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've been getting the $77 deal in my Acura for 3 years. It took a little longer than usual this year, but wasn't that difficult. :)

11. Jabber

Jabber Chicagoland Prius Guy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as I know, they are all activated from the factory. Your 90 days doesn't start until we report the car as sold to Toyota.

Yours was reported sold last March. Enjoy your 4 day trial :D

And did you mention something about taking money out of a pocket to cover something? .. cough cough door sills cough cough.

1 person likes this.
  12. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I was told exactly what Jabber reports: The subscription starts on the date the dealership reports as the delivery date.

2 people like this.
  13. Blind Guy

Blind Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Another thing to remember is, let the Free Trial period run its course, we've owned several vehicles that the actual Trial Period has been active for MORE than the initial 3 months! DON'T subscribe UNTIL the radio actually STOPS, you may be surprised how long it could be active!
    David (ak Blind Guy)

3 people like this.
  14. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What does the $77 deal cover, is it the complete xm, and best of sirius? I want that package. I might tell them that I'd pay $88 for that, :p

15. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    $77 is for JUST XM as far as I know ... at least that's what it's been in the past. If they charge you full price to add Best of Sirius that would basically double the price, so I hope they offer that at a discount as well!

16. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    As I have mentioned here elsewhere, I am already a Sirius Lifetime Subscriber, and since I joined years ago, I do not have the restrictions or fees associated with transferring the sub to a different radio (within Sirius at least - XM is different). As it stood before I got my 2010 Prius last week, I had two different window mounted Sirius radios at home. One in my car (with the lifetime), and one in the wife's car, which I prepaid the annual sub for at a discounted, 2nd radio rate.

I had hoped that when I received the Prius, I would be able to simply transfer the radio subscription to the car, and then recycle the old radio from my car, which is on it's last leg. Of course, even though XM and Sirius merged, they have not yet combined their billing systems, so this would not happen.

Since I am pretty handy at getting in touch with the right people to sometimes bend the ear of the person needed to be able to do something about it, I called the Sirius corporate offices. I told them that I am a long term subscriber, a stockholder, and an active member of a blog that has a lot of folks who are very interested in a solution to this problem.

What I have heard from every rep when I spoke to the XM customer service department is that since XM and Sirius are still being operated as separate entities, that there was nothing that could be done in terms of transferring me from Sirius to XM. When the corporate office answered, after explaining the predicament, they offered me to transfer my lifetime Sirius to XM, however, if I selected this option, and paid a $70 transfer fee (which by itself, I can understand, as they make no other revenue off of a lifetime), the subscription would remain with the vehicle for ever, and could not be transferred when I sell the vehicle.

My initial response to this was that it seemed to be a fair tradeoff. Then I thought it through, and what would happen is that the LIFETIME subscription that I bought for $500, many years ago would transfer, and then eventually, will go away. So, in effect, I was paying them to lose my lifetime subscription.

I then decided that I should just kill the extra Sirius Sub, and transfer the lifetime Sirius to my wife, and simply pay up to XM. Then I looked into pricing, and saw that I could prepay for 3 years of XM w/ the best of Sirius for $458 dollars, or simply buy the XM (stay with the car, for the life of the car) Lifetime for $499.99. Given that I knew that I would be driving the car for more than 3 years, it would make sense to do this.

Of course, I then need to add XM Traffic to this, which is < $50 / year.

Eventually, per the Sirius XM Corporate folks, people with a subscription on one service should be able to add a radio on the other service (Sirius people could add a 2nd XM radio, or vice versa) for only a nominal fee. However, this is still at least 6 months down the road. If you are currently a Sirius lifetime subscriber, and wanted to convert it to XM Lifetime, simply contact the Sirius Corporate office, and nicely ask them to do it, but just know that there is a fee, and you will not be able to transfer it later…

Final note… As the XM rules indicate, the lifetime cannot be transferred to another vehicle or radio, UNLESS…. The radio no longer works, or is stolen. Hmmm.. I think that before I decide to sell the car, I may need to call XM to transfer the account to a working radio ;-) (Then, if a future buyer tries to activate, it will not be reported stolen…)

17. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    $16.94/mo for XM Everything w/ Traffic (no Sirius). A bit over $200/yr. $77/yr would be a steal, but wonder what traffic would be on top of that.

Either way, I'd think $77/yr would be first year only and you'd pay current rate beyond that.

18. Gen2wjp

Gen2wjp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am going to buy a Gen3 Prius and I would like to have XM radio integrated into the audio system and touch screen. I have been told that only cars equipped with the Navigation Package are XM ready. Is this true? Is there anything else that needs to be added at the dealership? There is an XM radio package in the accessory list for the 2010 models? Would this be only for cars not equipped with the Nav package?

19. MattD

MattD Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If the Prius comes equipped with XM (which it would from the factory) -- all you need to do is plan for the renewal when the complementary subscription runs out. Note that most dealers have no clue, whatsoever, on how this works. Your Prius, if factory equipped, will have everything it needs and will be activated from the factory.

20. Gen2wjp

Gen2wjp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks. Then I can assume that the Prius models III, IV, and V which all show "integrated satellite radio capability" are all equipped with the XM receiver/antenna, and that all that I need to do is add the new radio to my current subscription after the 90 day trial period. I assume the XM Nav/Traffic requires the Navigation Package.