1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius w/ 230k, HV battery replaced at 110k "out of pocket"... warranty?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by sukatoro, Aug 13, 2017.

1. sukatoro

sukatoro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    hi all... ok, I recently bought a 2010 Prius w/ 230k on it here in Houston... it was cheap, I didn't expect a miracle find, and figured w/ mileage that high and a selling price that cheap i could likely find myself buying a traction battery in the near future. sure enough, and I think this probably means that the seller (not private, dealer lot) had knowledge of the issue already, the car displays the "check hybrid system" warning and goes into ICE-only limp-mode *EVERY* 50 miles, returns to normal driving condition once codes cleared via Techstream. techstream health-check displays the sinister PA080-123 code, replace hybrid battery... live data reveals battery v07 at 14.25v and v08 at 13.11, so definitely failing towards the center of the battery pack. ah well, still a decent deal to me, but...

...tonight I finally registered the vehicle over at toyotas website as my own, and went through the very short service history found therein. to my mild surprise I see that in march of '13, the original owner brought the vehicle in, at mileage 110k, w/ the CEL displayed, and ended up needing "BATTERY ASSY, HV SUP G951047060"... googling seems to indicate that this is the entire traction battery pack! so, my newly acquired 2010 is already on its second traction battery, and needs another to boot!

is there even a remote chance the replacement traction battery is covered by some sort of warranty still? was already resigned to going the cheap rebuilt route and cross my fingers, but if Toyota felt compelled to 'do me a solid' I'd hate to miss out on such... just wondering if anyone could offer any input I'd appreciate it. still really, really like my Prius. shelved a 2000 BMW 740il for the Prius and haven't regretted it yet. thanks in advance all..!

2. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I believe replacement traction batteries came with only a one year warranty in 2013.
    The current warranty is 3 years / unlimited miles which still would have expired in March 2016 had it applied.
    There are low cost used 3rd generation packs you can get shipped in from states that don't cook the batteries as fast as Texas does.
    I like to search salvage yards at this web site: http://www.car-parts.com

m.wynn and bisco like this.
  3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes, there's a (slim) chance of two failures in that time frame as that car gets a lot of use. I wonder if the battery cooling fan has ever been cleaned?

SFO likes this.
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    PA080 is a battery cooling issue, P0A80 is a battery issue.....I think

There's also a chance the battery has been changed out since 2013

#4 JC91006, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  5. Jkan2001

Jkan2001 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wouldn't hurt to ask for a good will replacement.

6. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Y not test all the modules under load, and determine actually which one(s) is(are) bad? That way, you could still replace some of the modules, and get more out of the car.