1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Prius with AC acting up...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Jeffrimerman, Mar 19, 2023.

1. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey Everyone,
    Did some googling and read a discussion from 2015. I've added freon to other cars just not my prius before since it's pretty darn reliable. I know freon charging is super easy from experience and I have the tool with the pressure gauge. I just wanted to see if anyone has experienced the same issue and if it was because of low freon.

Noticed for the first time ever that my air wasn't blowing cold. Hit the ac button on and off but nothing changed. The next day I drove 110 miles and it came on to start cool not cold and stayed on for a while then slowly got closer to just regular air temp. Luckily I hit the coast and it was 72 outside. Later it came on colder again and stayed that way for about an hour till I got to my destination. This morning coming back it was cold but outside it was only 66. It's a 13 year old car with semi functional ac so probably not a leak since if it was after days it shouldn't keep running or run better later. Does the symptom of cooler and less cool air sound like low freon? I just got back but I'll pop my gauge on and see and report back.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    To properly fix this you would need to evacuate all the refrigerant in the system and reload it with the proper amount (using a proper machine). The prius is really sensitive where even the slightest amount of low or too much refrigerant would cause the problems you're experiencing.

I know a shop in Rosemead that can do that fairly quickly, while you wait;

3. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you, yes if there was a leak to fix then 100%. There doesn't seem to be a leak since I just checked now and can see ultra clear liquid flowing in the H port on the window. Typically you don't need to remove all the freon to add freon if a system is low. I'm just checking if anyone has noticed this before and added to solve the less cool air but I appreciate the response. The compressor also came on just fine it's just not as cold as it should be.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes I'd be interested in your low side gauge reading with the car off not running just sitting there looking at us You got about a hundred pounds?

5. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Update: Got a bottle of R-134a and hooked up my gauge first. When the AC on it showed I was low. I screwed the bottle in and pulled the lever and released to see if it moved up. Sure enough it did. One bottle got me to the line between low and filled. Then I got inside the car and it's ice cold just like when I first got it. For now I'll leave it till summer and check. No point in adding more in case it has a slow leak but if it's at the same pressure in a couple months then I'll add more to get it to the middle of the filled position.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What JC was getting at is that trying to judge proper charge with just a pressure gauge is highly unreliable, for reasons heavily discussed already in a lot of threads on this site.

If a gauge tells you it's low, it probably is really low. But the gauge telling you it's ok only means it's somewhere in a wide range between inadequate and overcharged.

Older cars that took a larger amount of refrigerant were more tolerant of a bit of slop in the amount of charge. Because the Prius uses such a small amount to begin with, it doesn't take much variation below or above to cause problems over time. @lech auto air conditionin may expound further.

The most reliable way to get the proper amount of charge in is to go to vacuum first, then weigh in the correct amount of refrigerant using a scale.

If you didn't have your can on a scale as you were adding just now, then you've added an unknown amount of refrigerant to a low-but-also-unknown pre-existing amount.

The most reliable way back to the correct charge from that situation would be to schedule a visit somewhere that can take it to vacuum and then weigh in the proper amount.

7. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorta, he just said make sure it's the right amount. With all my searches I found no issue that you can't do it with a gauge and the correct freon. I've done it before and so far seems to work perfect. The gauge so far indicates exactly what we should expect and I only pushed it to just barely filled and its running great. The gauge will read the pressure after I've put in the freon and it's still actually low so it shouldn't be in the danger/red zone. Again all my research I never found a situation where a gauge was that far off. Any other statement is just guessing if we want to say my gauge is that far off. It's a 2010 that I bought for $7500 8 years ago so I am totally fine adding some freon. With any repair we can discuss doing it ourself isn't as ideal and paying a professional. I changed my control arm, tpms sensor in the tire, various other things. All of which can be done by a pro and done 100% correct. We're discussing a really old cheap car that I'm happy to work on and if I mess it up happy to learn that lesson. I appreciate the long response but no need to dwell on it. Problem solved. If I get my gauge and add to the max of filled then one can say it's possible to go over so that would be good advice to avoid doing. I reload my own ammunition so I know the safety concerns of loading to the max if your scale isn't accurate or the gun powder is hotter than you realize you can end up with no face. I'm not MrDIY but I'm have lots of faith in my logic but thank you.

8. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The the ideal way, but you just added a very small amount, and it worked, for now.
    There is a small leak. Probably the seals are worn, and freon escapes...
    See how long it lasts. You can always add a little more later on.

As you said, it's an older car. You work on your own car. You do what you need to do.
    Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. (y)

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's not a matter of the gauge being far off or not. It's a matter of a gauge not being the right instrument, period. A pressure gauge by itself cannot tell you if the amount of refrigerant in the system is correct.

The reason there's so much discussion here on PriusChat about that is that there are dangers from being on either side of the correct charge. And while a pressure gauge can tell you if the charge is extremely low, once you get the charge back above extremely low, the gauge is just unable to tell you whether the charge is right or not.

... what's frustrating is that the Gen 3 ECU probably has enough information that it could compute whether the charge is correct, and tell you that. It has a high-side pressure sensor, not just a switch, ambient and evap temperature thermistors, and it knows the power being provided to the compressor. If I'm not mistaken, they did add that computation to the firmware for Gen 4, and a Gen 4 can tell you if the charge is ok if you ask. But not yet Gen 3. :(

#9 ChapmanF, Mar 19, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
  10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You doing okay for what you're holding. Gas it up and go just realize these things will never hold a 40 lb low side it'll be more like 30 just the way it is or it's what I see here anyway pretty consistently if that compressor's coming on high side is rising the low side will get sucked down to about 30 anytime the compressor is running when it's all for idling or wobbling way down then things change of course which is the beauty of these things.

11. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Some people lucky some people not on topping off being too full or little too low.

it’s only a gamble. I and many shop or parts stores make lots of money off the unlucky ones.

a little low then the compressor just runs hotter and faster on hot days to make up for the lack of refrigerant. That’s all. It still gets cold. On vary hot day the compressor will max out RPM’s in a attempt to move enough refrigerant to satisfy the desired temperature that was selected. But because it’s low on refrigerant I cannot so I continue spinning at 6000 and 7000 RPMs nonstop trying to hire amptra after high voltage battery continuously drawing down the high voltage battery because it never gets a rest because of the low refrigerant charge..
    Some compressors live through this for a few summers, and some do not.

As the refrigerant slowly get lower do to a small, slow leak it gets to a point where oil leaves the compressor and starts not returning because it gets stuck up in the Evaporator, because low mass of refrigerant cannot keep up the velocity to remove the oil out of the evaporator. I only can do this so long until it cost to live for the compressor..

Turn too much refrigerant has a similar effect. Which is higher pressure and higher temperature but at least there is oil return.. but also because there’s more refrigerant to oil ratio it’s diluted.

on an AC system that’s never allowed to go low on refrigerant. You should be able to run the compressor continuously 10 hours a day for 10 years straight never turning it off and it will still be in perfect condition because it was always ran cool with plenty of oil..