1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 pulse and glide and other tech. still works?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Flying White Dutchman, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    anyone try the glide and stuff with the 2010 prius
    is it still the same ?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah but harder. The TCH was already hard to P&G. I actually had to cheat and use N.

In the 2010, it's slightly easier than the TCH but still harder than the Gen 2.

3. kinghuang

kinghuang Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What do you mean by it's harder to pulse & glide in the 2010? Is it harder to hold the gas pedal at a point where it's effectively N?

4. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Pedal modulation may be harder, but there's a distinct region in the hybrid system indicator (which some have coined HSI, but that will always be an aircraft instrument for me) that specifically shows no charge or power delivery.

5. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    HSI? - what aircraft indicator? I'm familiar with a VSI!

6. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Question. If "Pulse and Glide" is really the optimum way to maximize your MPG in the Prius, with minimal use of the traction battery at all times, why have an EV button at all?

Using it kind of defeats the objective, doesn't it?. Wouldn't it have been preferable for Toyota to have engineered the G3 Prius to simply glide when taking one's foot off the accelerator at all times, and substituted a "Regen" switch in place of the EV button? At the same time, activating regeneration as usual when applying the brake.

Just a thought!

Or maybe that is what the "Eco" mode does.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah. On the Hybrid System Indicator (HSI), when you see no bars on the screen, it's effectively gliding. However, you really have to be careful because there may even be a sliver of a bar and you'll be in EV mode instead of gliding.

On several occasions, I thought I was gliding and when I switched to the Energy Monitor, I was EVing...

EV Button isn't really used for driving even though the media has been touting it as such (even saying that it can improve your mileage because it worked for them on the last mile of the test route).

EV Drive Mode for me works in the following situations but it may vary for you

- moving in/out of the garage
    - switching parking spots
    - moving in and around an enclosed area such as an underground parking lot
    - forcing the engine off on part of the commute it normally would be off on its own
    - forcing the engine off on the final approach to home on a route it'll normally be off and you don't need a warm engine (i.e. last ride of the day)
    - keeping the engine off til you've had a chance to merge onto the main street from a parking lot

I'm sure you can come up with more situations.

8. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Horizontal Situation Indicator - usually electric and typically replaces a vacuum driven directional gyro. Overlays VOR (or other course info like GPS), ILS, etc. with the heading indicator.

See: Wikipedia: Horizontal Situation Indicator

9. Zhentar

Zhentar New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The Prius wasn't designed with the goal of great gas mileage for hypermilers; it was designed for good gas mileage for normal drivers while still feeling like a normal car. The light braking effect not only mimics the feel of a non-hybrid, but the energy can be used to keep the engine turning without consuming any gas or battery, when needed.

10. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    its not to mimic ice braking like a normal car its to regen and put energy into the battery
    and then the ICE is not turning without gas its not turning at all.

of course the regen is less in off gaspadel then with braking

11. Mormegil

Mormegil Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt

I'm pretty sure it IS meant to simulate ICE compression braking in a standard automatic transmission car.

Energy usage is less efficient with this feature, than without. So, why would they include it merely to regenerate the battery when regular braking will do it. Keep in mind, a manual transmission car doesn't have this issue, as you would typically apply clutch.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's to simulate an automatic transmission which will have some drag when you let go of the accelerator.

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry Mr Dutchman, I have to agree with the last 2 posters. It would be better if this wasn't the case to preserve that regen energy as kinetic energy to reduce conversion losses otherwise.

It's all about making the car feel like old outdated cars. I'd love to be able to switch that feature off.

What about including a foot off glide function in the ECO mode next time please Toyota? Why not an optional firmware update now?

14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I find the current setup where regen braking occurs when the gas pedal is completely released to be the most convenient for city driving. It means I can coast, glide, or accelerate all with one pedal.

15. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i think the dutchman may have been refering to the incorrect reference of "letting the engine spin without fuel".. because it doesn't spin unless you exceed 46mph (gen 3)

i'm wondering the recovery percentages of gen 2 to gen3

i love to see the steps each car has taken... good data is hard to find. (except here.. given time)

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That'll be awesome because as it stands, both Wayne and I had problems achieving Glide mode during the test drives.

17. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is it my imagination, or is my highway mileage really improving when I " gun" it up to 75-78 mph and then glide down to 65? On a level highway? My mpg was reading in the 80s at 75 mph the other night. I have an '08 Prius. Looked like I was using a fair amount of battery.

18. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    thats right..

you got the point
    and the prius also auto glide's at moments when on cruis control and of course when you hit a situation where the gaspadel position and speed and current little downhil road will mean no need to any running motor or ice.
    i have seen this several time's now

i also notice that when i regen with the gas padel off and no foot brake i put more real amps into the battery then with 30 amps or more of braking.. more energy is stored .

19. adrianblack

adrianblack Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's what seems to suck on the Gen III -- it's hard to not be in EV or regen mode with the gas pedal.

I would be so sweet to have a special ECO mode (hold the bottom for 3 seconds?) That would disable regen on coasting.

20. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    P&G works, but for me N is most effective. It's deceptive though because your eating battery charge that is not being replaced, so you get initial great numbers that come down a lot as you deplete the battery, so initially you think your getting great mileage, but then you have to recharge the battery and your mileage comes down then.
    I have only really tried 45 to 25, above 46 I believe the ICE is running and consuming fuel, don't think warp stealth is possible in a Gen III, so I assume the most benefits are below 46 MPH?