1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010: Severe shaking at idle in the trans ----> but goes away driving

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by MilkyWay, Jun 19, 2018.

1. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Seems to be coming from the transmission. At idle can hear a knocking/shaking severely from the trans. I replaced transmission and it is doing the same thing! So either got a bad trans installed or it is something else.

You can take the tires with motor off and wiggle tires and you will hear and see the shaking/knocking but can't pinpoint what the problem is.

Any ideas?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is this happening even when the car's stationary?

3. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Only happens stationary at idle when motor kicks on. Goes away if you rev engine. Goes away in electric mode. Sounds like a rod knock but completely quiet when driving/revved up.

Only there at idle and sounds horrific tons of shaking and seems to be from trans which was replaced two times to no avail.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you replace the axles and cv joints?

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    This sounds like some sort of controller issue with the MG's fighting each other and/or the ICE but man that should throw all kinds of codes. Weird. o_O

Does the car drive or are you still in the driveway stage?

6. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Drives and I don't think any codes it's a car my mechanic is stuck on and I just posted here to see if there were any suggestions.

You can take your hands and wiggle tire back and forth with engine off.....goes "clunk, clunk, clunk" and you can see entire motor and trans shaking.

When motor turns on at idle it sounds really bad, lots of shaking, clunking, really terrible if I stop by there today I'll try to get a video.

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    WAG: I don't see reports here at all about motor mounts but maybe one or more is completely gone. Known history? One owner car? Wrecked with poor repairs? etc

8. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wrecked a few times. Bad paint when I got it and bad head gasket @ 150K Miles when I received it.

Driving it back and forth to mechanic all messed up it caught fire in engine bay lol (loud pop, smoke, and light fire).

I sold it to my mechanic for $400 and he put in a motor and invertor and fixed a few things.....Rode fine until recently where it now has around 230K miles.

9. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought it from an auction out of state and looked pretty nice in the pics....Plus it was about 1.5 years ago maybe 2 years ago so they were hard to get for cheap (still are) and I was lured in by cheap price. This is how it looked when I got it with blown head gasket paint was wavy in various places, looked sweet from a distance but up close you could tell it was repainted all over the place.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. kens97uber171

kens97uber171 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check the motor mounts there are three. One directly under the engine that mostly controls from the back rocking motion. Definitely check there.. the other two mounts are up top on either side of the engine bay. At idle the engine is gonna shake more. Once your driving it will push forward to the end of the slip in the mount.
    I'd have to see you've replaces the trans and nobody noticed a bad mount while disassembly it.
    Good luck.
    Also.. there are a couple if heat shield on the back of the engine wrapped around the exhaust.. those can make a hell of a racket if they come loose and again.. may only make noise when the ICE is idling

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

James Powers likes this.