1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 stock wheels

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by gw2002, Jun 25, 2010.

1. gw2002

gw2002 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bought a 2010 Prius II around Feb. 1. So far, so good. No real problems, except the right rear wheel cover fell off sometime around mile 2500.

To my delight, the missing ugly wheel cover revealed a pretty good looking allow wheel underneath. Except the alloy has a gaping, empty hole in the center of the wheel. Rather than pay a king's ransom to replace the lost wheel cover, I asked in the dealer's parts dept. if an OEM center-cap was available to fit the Prius wheel. YES! Turns out there is, so I ordered 4 center caps for less than $60. They arrived about a week later. Plugged them into the holes, and away we go with good looking alloys now instead of those beastly wheel covers.

Has anyone else gone this route with your wheels?

1 person likes this.
  2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  3. rpeek2

rpeek2 Dry Ice Juggler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Many, including my self. Agree with you on the duct tape over stained glass approach to the wheels. Its like a treasure find when you pop those cheapie covers off to reveal what never should have been covered up. Do a search for "wheel centers" if you are interested in what others have done.

4. skamar

skamar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The first thing that i did when i took my new baby was to put out the ugly wheels covers. And i bought these from the Toyota dealer for 60,00€.

Attached Files:

5. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    oh how beautiful the rear tail light looks without the red reflector on the side.

6. Fstr911

Fstr911 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    I didn't even save those plastic wheel covers. After seeing the alloy wheels I realized it was time to send them to the plastic recycle pile. And the the Prius is much faster now....smile

7. Bruno_S

Bruno_S New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The aerodynamic impact of removing the wheels is not known. Your MPG may increase if you remove the plastic wheel covers.

8. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Or decrease. The effect the wheel covers have on mpg has to be so small that it isn't even on my radar.

9. Fstr911

Fstr911 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    The MPG did not increase or decrease after my plastic covers were removed. And IMO those plastic covers are butt ugly and cheap looking.

10. Kennewick Man

Kennewick Man Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    X2.............:rockon:

1 person likes this.
  11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The PC regulars invited to the prerelease events ~15-18 months ago, who were able to talk directly to Toyota engineers and staff, indicated that the covers did increase MPG. The magnitude was not publicly quantified, but Toyota was having to squeeze many things ever so slightly more to achieve that landmark 50 MPG EPA label, instead of a 49.

If removing the covers would increase MPG, I can't believe Toyota would have left them on.

12. GreenClipper

GreenClipper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've had my Prius for 7 months now and one of the first things that I did was remove the ugly wheel covers. Don't know why Toyota thought they needed to be on there, don't care! I'm more concerned with their "tweeking" the onboard MPG calculation,.....some say 6% descrepency. To me it looks like that was their easiest fix for getting 50mpg! If they make a negative difference in my FE, then so be it, as they are "BUTT UGLY"! If those alloys hadn't been under them, I'd have been buying aftermarkets for it. Either that or I would have held out for the V I really wanted, most of which were not coming to this part of the country! :)

13. Bruno_S

Bruno_S New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sorry I meant decrease MPG. I agree, the main reason the wheel covers exist is to make the car more efficient. I actually removed the front license plate to make the car more aerodynamic.

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The display discrepancy has no connection whatsoever to the EPA label.

15. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  16. Bruno_S

Bruno_S New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I live in La Jolla CA where Ferraris are common. In fact, the town only has two dealerships a Ferrari-Maserati and Lamborghini-Bentley. There are Prius all over. If you pull into one of the fancy restaurants in any other "economy" car besides the Prius people will probably think you work there. Last Sunday I was at the gas station and a black Gen III Prius pull in with black 18-inch wheels. It also had pimped front and tail lights. Although I cannot exactly say what was done to them, they look different. The car looked amazing. I wouldn't be surprised if Gen III after market spoilers and other parts become available to cater to these markets.

17. ozarkgolfer

ozarkgolfer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  18. BassMasterCHS

BassMasterCHS New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    III
    yeah they won't affect anything at all.. but if you spray paint them...