1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Toyota Prius i-Tech Road Test Review

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    FOR YEARS THE TOYOTA PRIUS has been the car of choice for the environmentally conscious among the über-residents of Hollywood. It’s become a ‘must have’ addition to the celebrity garage.

We haven’t checked, but that’s probably also true of Saint-Tropez.

Toyota’s Prius is a defining car of the age and sits at the sharp edge of a powerful shift in buyer consciousness. That’s why it is the first car that comes to mind when most people think ‘hybrid’. The release into a somewhat sceptical global market of that first model Prius more than a decade ago was a brave move by Toyota. Its only competitor then, and the only other manufacturer prepared to take a similar risk, was Honda with its first Insight.

2010 Toyota Prius i-Tech Road Test Review | The Motor Report: Auto News And Reviews

2. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Very interesting and well written article. Great find TP.

I'm surprised that it doesn't have a spare tire, though. The last picture in the gallery shows the spare tire well and there appears to be ample room for a compact spare. Is this just an i-Tech (or Australian) limitation/feature or is it that way in the US as well?

3. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The article states that the base model has a space-saver spare.

The UK T-Spirit, when fitted with the solar roof, also has a tyre repair kit in place of a spare wheel. It's in order to save weight.

4. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I thought of that but decided "weight savings" doesn't really make sense as a reason. The same weight savings could be gained by every Prius ever made. If that were Toyota's real goal, then Priuses would be like Miatas - none of them would have a spare tire.

If the Technology Package itself weighs quite a bit, then that model has a reason, unique unto itself, to save a bit more weight. But remember that the multi-component steel jack assembly is there and the tire repair kit weighs something, so any weight savings is minor. Given the choice, I'd rather live with the extra weight and also have a spare.

Being suspicious by nature, I think it's just be a money saving move on Toyota's part. I'm surprised, though, as the Solar Roof and Technology packages are pretty expensive and shouldn't (IMO) involve high cost as well as trade-offs.

5. Manksgloob

Manksgloob Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So they got to have the solar roof AND the advanced technology package.

Shucks.:(

6. kllerdropbear

kllerdropbear New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We get most of the ATP minus the lane assist and 17 inch wheels.
    Also get HUD on all models which is pretty cool.
    Mind you we also pay Aus 60,000 (US $54,000) for the privilage (which is not cool)

7. Croft

Croft New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I read that, in the UK at least, the added weight of the sunroof together with the 17" wheels and spare wheel would have bumped it up into a higher vehicle weight category and would have required a very expensive recertification. Hence why in the UK the T Spirit, if it has the solar roof pack as an option, comes with 15" wheels. Fortunately we have less need for it as we don't have the consistently high temperatures of other geographies to make it worthwhile.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So do we. Wanna buy Canadian? :D. We don't get LEDs, 17" alloys, LKA, Plasmacluster, Safety Connect, USB, foglights, or headlight washers.

We do get automatic headlights, illuminated door sills (Touring & Technology Package only), cargo net, carpet mats and wheel locks as standard equipment on all models.

Thanks!

They forgot to add the spare during certification :rolleyes:. I know, you can't make this stuff up. It'll come with one next year when they re-certify.

Note that no country in the world gets 17" alloys and the solar roof.