1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Toyota Prius Maintenance Costs

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Spidey126, May 22, 2009.

1. Spidey126

Spidey126 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    interesting article: 2010 Toyota Prius Maintenance Cost Varies

the 2010s claim less maintenance:

no belts, so no timing belt change needed
    fewer oil changes
    8 yr warranty

2. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mostly same rehash of the hybrid battery woes. Only difference is the new electric engine water pump so now no belts to worry about.

Wayne

3. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I thought there is no timing belt change on gen 2

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    The SOC limits on the big battery are quite accurate in the article. This is a major accomplishment, as the media has taken years to learn this. The rest of it is quite fluffly.

Valve-driving belts have been (dare we say immortal?) chains on Prius since the beginning. Loss of the water-pump belt may reduce maint, or not. Depends on whether Toyota is using a better electric motor there than they did on the inverter side for years :) Engine coolant thermostat also goes away in 2010. Not that many of those have been replaced in Prius, but the new design is 'elegant' and we've certainly been asking for it for years.

Engine oil change interval remains 5k miles (US spec). The coolant recirc is gone, and that will reduce maint if the exhaust heat transfer system (that effectively replaced it) proves reliable. We probably expect the new transaxle design to go forever (or near there) but if I had one I'd still change the transaxle fluid at 60k miles.

The NiMH battery got a lot better in 2004 and has remained the same design since AFAIK. You still have to change the brake fluid before it gets to 2% water, or the resulting corrosion will make an expensive repair.

^ that's my 2010 maintenance outlook, and no doubt it would make a poor media-style story.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Only for my curiosity, I'll change the transaxle oil at 5k and take a sample for testing. Then I'll probably do it again at 30k, not that I'm expecting to see much change. Thereafter, 60k+ changes.

Bob Wilson

6. Ogo

Ogo Prius Owner since 2008

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Corrosion is not such a problem. Safety is. When the water content increases in the brake fluid and you use your breaks under extreme load conditions, that water in the system can heat up, boil and create water gas bubble. And then the hydraulic brake system changes to being pneumatic one. And instead of braking, you get nothing from your hydraulic brake system.

Prius at least has an electric braking, but it is limited in its capacity, so you can still get killed when your hydraulic brakes fail. And they usually fail under extreme conditions when electric braking is not enough. So it is recommended to change brake fluid as recommended. Safety first!

7. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

But there is no recommendation on changing the brake fluid AFAIK is there? I've not seen any in the Maintenance Manual.