1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 vs 2008 First Impressions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by route246, Aug 25, 2009.

1. route246

route246 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I just took delivery on a 2010 Silver Prius II about an hour ago. I got it in a Cash For Clunkers deal so it cost me $20,207 out the door including California registration, transportation, sales tax, smog, etc. The deal was done at the list minute and I feel very fortunate that it slipped in just under the wire, considering how short the supply of II is in NorCal right now. I also own a silver 2008 Package 2.

First, I like the ECO mode. It makes hyper mileage driving very easy. I've only driven about 10 miles so far but it feels like 60 MPG is going to be a cake walk (I can get 57.5-58.0 with the 2008 in mixed city and highway driving without holding cars up behind me and just using very careful technique and seeing ahead very carefully). EV mode seems extremely handy for parking lots, driving in school zones and in bumper-to-bumper traffic. ECO mode, when feathering the throttle seems to stay in EV mode without engaging the ICE much easier than the feathering that I have to do with the 2008.

Second, I like the all-auto windows and I like the safety stop feature if there is any obstruction. It's about time.

Third, the overall polish of the car is just a little nicer. I can see little things that they did such as the fold down rear headrests, the dual trip odometers with separate MPG numbers and the improved seats.

I thought the 2008 was the perfect car for us. I think I have stumbled upon something that has exceeded perfection.

2. RadioZero

RadioZero Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Welcome aboard, it's a great car.

3. pfreeus

pfreeus New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Congratulations and welcome to the family.

4. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Congrats! Did you get the backup beeper reprogrammed to 1 beep? Thats a must for complete perfection.:D

5. route246

route246 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Not yet.

I'm still in the process of ordering wheel locks, all-weather mats, Wet Okole seat covers. I'm picking up the heat shield today at the factory in Sunnyvale.

The other significant difference I noticed is that from a dead stop on a warm engine it's possible in ECO mode to use only EV power to get up to speed (assuming someone is behind you and "pushing") before the ICE kicks in. This is not easily done with our 2008 unless nobody is behind you and you can feather the snot out of the throttle. I suspect the hyper milers can get upwards of 80MPG or more with this sort of behavior. I'm not that anal but 60MPG really looks like a piece of cake. The only killer is the first 5 minutes of warm up.

I'm also realizing that the battery level is normalized at a much lower level over time due to ECO mode. It is almost never that way in our 2008 unless I'm putting around our neighborhood at night with nobody behind me.

6. talk2me

talk2me New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you explain what the "ECO mode" is & does?

7. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    From what I can tell it restricts the throttle position. It makes the throttle harder to push down in other words. It is so you don't have to drive like you have an egg under your foot to get better gas mileage.

8. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Also cuts down on energy used by the A/C.

9. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    According to "the word", "Eco" shifts the throttle response further down the throttle position, and "Power" shifts it the other way. I understand from other posts the Toyota engineers said this.
    So it isn't really "Eco" or "Power", it's the drivers perception of the response.
    "Eco" makes it easier to drive "gently", because it takes a larger movement of the throttle to get an equivalent response. So you can feather the throttle without a lot of practice.
    "Power" makes it seem like the car has more power, as you get more response with less movement. This makes it harder to feather the throttle for good mileage.

But you have the same power in all three settings (Eco, normal, and power).

10. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Max output of the AC is restricted in ECO mode as earlier posted as well, unsure if output is changed except from reducing the max output

11. redcarwire

redcarwire New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow your car is so awesome.