1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 vs 2009

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by PM5K, Feb 20, 2018.

1. PM5K

PM5K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have read some threads, some good advice about driving both to see what you like, I think my questions are unique enough to warrant a small discussion.

At about the same price I can get an 09 with 95K or a 2010 with 120K, with similar trim levels and condition.

I plan to keep either three years and do 25K a year. So one will have about 170 and the other 195.

What do you guys think? My other main concern is cargo space, the 2010 is supposed to have much more. It would be nice to be able to carry 4-6 rubbermaid totes in back, with the seats flipped down. I do that pretty regularly with my suv so I need something that can do that, and occasionally larger things like say clear plastic drawers.

TIA!

2. PriusNP

PriusNP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have an 07 as well as 2011
    The 07 has about 105k
    The 11 has about 107k

Both are great but of course some difference.

My opinion is the
    07 is more quality built especially the leather
    The sheet metal is very sturdy the brakes last longer slight less mpg

The 2011
    I'm in upstate NY and travel down to nyc about 90 min commute at least twice a week.
    More confident in snow but in all fairness I have x3 snow tires all around on this one.
    The power button does come in handy when Needed.

Cargo room Ive never measured. If it's bigger I've not noticed will. Compare later on.

Me I'd buy the 2 gen again without blinking.

I had an 04 with 200k all I did to it. Beside regular maintenance oil, tires, brake, spark plugs etc.
    Water pump and rear shocks and struts
    Ran perfect just was a base model so I upgraded to leather and back up camera and much less miles.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I also have gen2 and gen3 cars and I prefer the gen2. But there are pros and cons to both.

Gen2 is better for city driving, gen3 much more powerful and stable on the highway.

Gen2 feels roomier in the driver's seat, less claustrophobic, gen3 has better leg room.

Both seem to have the same amount of cargo room, I haven't noticed much difference.

Replacement parts for gen2 are cheap and plentiful

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2009 would've been the last year of the 2nd Gen and the 2nd Gen is pretty damn reliable (still see Gen 2 taxis even though have switched to Prius v's)

The 2010 would have newer technology in terms of body structure, crash protection etc.

Gen 2:
    • Higher seating position
    • Good forward visibility
    • Reliable (don't go for the Touring as the HID headlights are a weak point)
    • I found the seats a bit soft. Ok if you're lighter but try it out if you're a bigger built person (both for size and support)

Gen 3:
    • Beltless engine means no additional belts or chains
    • The 2010 has some issues with oil consumption past 100,000 miles (search threads here)
    • More powerful engine and battery for highway passing
    • Wider tires (195 vs. 185) gives a bit more stability at higher speeds (or opt for the 17" wheels with 215 width tires)
    • Cargo area is slightly taller (under the tonneau cover) and slightly wider between the rear wheels than the Gen 2 (so yes, it is a touch bigger)
    • Better halogen headlights (I find the projectors give better light than the multi-reflectors in the Gen 2). Or opt for LEDs on the 2010 Prius V or Five model (same model with the 17" wheels).

I would take a measuring tape and measure the height from the lowest point of the ceiling to the cargo floor on both vehicles if it's a concern.

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In my Gen 2 I was able to get four 8 gallon totes in next to a ladder.

[​IMG]
    This shows 3 totes, the fourth in on the left rear seat. Without the ladder I would have had more room for totes, but I needed the ladder. When a Semi trailer dragged this Prius several blocks, I replaced it with a much larger Prius v.

[​IMG]
    96 10" by 10" by 3" cheesecakes, stacked 6 deep, 3 deep per box.

I never owned a Gen 3, sorry.

Raytheeagle and Tideland Prius like this.
  6. PM5K

PM5K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great info, I kind of thought I’d just get a response that they are so reliable, it wouldnt matter at 175K or 200K, they’d both still be going.

Whats suprising is I thought I’d get a gen3 biased response in the gen3 section, but I didnt.

Im so used to newer usually being better, especially with something tech like this.

Makes me wonder if I should consider an 08 with only 65K on it

Also Jimbo, great pic, really puts things into perspective.

7. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    To me, lower miles (65K) on a 10 year old Prius is not a selling point -- it's a detractor. That battery has sat idle an awful lot over its lifetime.

8. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I prefer the look of the gen 3. And I like the way it drives. Currently have a gen 2 and a gen 3.

I would have to say you should simply drive both and see which one you like more.

9. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    +1

As a driver, I prefer the Gen-3.
    As the family head mechanic/fleet manager, I prefer the Gen-2.

MilkyWay likes this.
  10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I might tend to opt for 2009 as the best Gen2 year.
    But here is my cargo space est. You do also have more underfloor in Gen3, I suppose with potential to take out the false floor to get more in. On the cargo volume, DO NOT be mislead by the reported cargo space numbers....2010 was the year when the reported cargo space quotes went to la-la land (for liftbacks).

Prius Cargo.png

#10 wjtracy, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    padroo likes this.
  11. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Gen2 doesn't have external EGR components like the Gen3's have. The EGR components are *definitely* turning out to be a major weak point on the Gen3's. Lots of discussion about it on various threads here. Not rocket science to clean out the EGR cooler, etc...but you do have to remove quite a bit of stuff to get to it.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't think these have been mentioned:

Traction Control, in ice/snow: 3rd gen is better, doesn't overreact as much.
    Bladder Gas Tank: second gen only, can be a bit of a pain.
    Valve adjustment: second gen has shim/bucket, they're quite stable, but if they do need adjustment it's definitely not trivial/cheap. Third gen has hydraulic adjustment, always spot-on. So far haven't heard of any failures in the latter system.

farmecologist likes this.
  13. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    This needs a thread of its own! :)

14. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Side view, as you can see, one major issue was getting the legs of the ladder dirty.
    [​IMG]

amazon.com/gp/product/B0000VYDHK

I initially bought their 22 foot ladder but never found a way to transport it.

My Prius have always been my work truck, not a people mover.

#14 JimboPalmer, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018