1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 Wheel (?) Squeak

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by JarrettOriginal, Aug 7, 2015.

1. JarrettOriginal

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey y'all!

Celebrating two weeks with my Prius!

Except there is a small problem, a squeak has started that is definitely based on my speed. It seems to go away a little when I turn.

At EV speeds it sounds like the plane wheels from the beginning of "Back in the USSR".

It started today, the last thing I did before this was take my car to the wash.

I checked the wheel wells to see if there was something rubbing, but I didn't notice anything.

any suggestions?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you sure it's not inverter whine? could be something between the brake pads and rotor. or maybe a cv joint or wheel bearing.

Umar Ali likes this.
  3. JarrettOriginal

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wouldn't know about inverter whine.

I don't think it's the bearing, as the ride is still very smooth, but since it does lessen when turning that is an indicator...

4. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had a squeal problem last week:
    Rear Passenger Side Brake Squeal | PriusChat

Does it sound like the one I had in the video?

1) You hear it only when your car is at lower speeds.
    2) You hear it from a specific side of your vehicle (because it comes from one of your wheels).
    3) You don't hear it when your car is stopped/idle.
    4) The squeal comes and goes away.
    5) You can sometimes hear it better if you lightly tap on the brakes at low speeds.

In my case, the sqeal bar was incorrectly bent stright and was slightly pretuding past the pad, so you didnt' hear it all the time.

5. JarrettOriginal

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    no, it's not that high pitched, and it is louder and more constant.

6. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, you can still have the same problem as me except your steel/steel contact could be worse (which makes it louder).

I would suggest suspending the wheel you think is squealing off the ground and then turning it manually with your hands a few times. You shouldn't hear any squeal noises while turning the wheel. I found the source of my squeal this way. In my case, it wasn't the back wheel like I guessed but the front passenger that was causing the noise.

If your noise is not coming from the wheels, then your problem is out of my league.

I eventually used tools to pull off my caliper to remove my brake pads with the 12v battery disconnected. I used a set of pliers to bend the squeal bar so it doesn't scratch the rotor. I don't know how hands-on you are.

JarrettOriginal likes this.
  7. JarrettOriginal

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm pretty handy, but I don't have the tools to take off a caliper with ease.

I will jack it up though to see which wheel it could be.

Thanks for the tip!