1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2010 why do i have to order the whole rack?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by lucky1, Mar 28, 2012.

1. lucky1

lucky1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    One of my Prius taxis was in an accident and I have to replace the inner tierod on the drivers side. They tell me I have to order the rack and that i cant buy an inner rod. Thankfully I get parts at 10% over cost but it will still cost me $1,050 plus hst to get the rack. Pretty expensive tierod eh!! Cant find a 2010 at any of our wreckers and of course the car is losing a few hundres a day each day it sits. The rack has to come from California so as it is I am looking at 7-10 days.

Any suggestions.

2. lucky1

lucky1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Toyota's reply to my complaint

I sent an email to Toyota Canada to complain that I was having to buy a steering rack when all I needed was the inner tie rod. Here is there reply to my concern
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your email.

We have noted your concerns and would like to explain that it is standard practice in every industry, including the automotive industry, to sell many replacement parts as assemblies; this is a necessary practice. When you consider that one vehicle alone is made up of thousands of individual parts, it becomes apparent that it would not be possible to indefinitely maintain an inventory of individual parts for each model, and each model year. The costs of maintaining such a large inventory would be exorbitan
    t. The cost of transporting individual parts would also be very high. Unfortunately, such costs would have to be passed on to the consumer.

Thank you again for writing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have owned taxi's for many years and never have I come accross something as ridiculous as an inner tie rod not being available for a car and having to buy the whole rack. It is strange they have no problem supplying the outer tie rod. Here I am paying about $1200 for a rack when all I need is a $50 part.
    Needless to say I sent off a very long and detailed reply to this email but don't expect to hear back from them. Couldn't find a 2010 in any of the wreckers in the area.

3. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  4. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  5. lucky1

lucky1 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Re: Toyota's reply to my complaint

Thanks for the info Slow Turd--- Same problem though they don't have inner tie rods for the 2010 Prius. The rack is much cheaper than the price I am paying through Toyota. I get my parts at 10% over cost and it is still $1000. Of course I am not sure where the rack would be coming from and the cost to ship it if it has to cross the border. I will definately keep an eye on the site. Thanks