1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 65k engine idling high, response lag, battery fan running constantly

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Jaki, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Jaki

Jaki New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi all,

My Prius engine has been idling high, especially when not on the highway. Even if the battery is charged more than 2 bars, the engine will often remain on. The battery fan also runs constantly. In addition, the power/torque seems to lag when I'm going from a stopped position to moving. All of this doesn't change very much in different environments (AC off, cooler day, evening). This type of thing used to happen every once in a while, but it's been going on consistently for the past 1,000 miles. I just took it in recently to have the oil changed and had another dealership even take a look. They "reset" the computers, saying it could have been my car getting used to the new tires I put on. Any idea what's going on??

Thanks!
    Jaki

2. Jaki

Jaki New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oh, and obviously the mileage has suffered as well. It's gone down about 10 mpg.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't go back to that dealer.
    it's probably worth cleaning the fan, and testing the 12v, but your hybrid battery maybe weakening. how hot is it outside? do you have to park in the sun?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey! Do you ever carry Pets in the car? The hybrid battery fan could be clogged. If the battery is too hot the car will lag, engine will run all the time, and eventually the hybrid battery will die from overheating.

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  5. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agree, sounds like either overheated battery, or bad temp sensor reporting overheated battery. Should be easy to check DIY with OBD2.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just to clarify: it's not a replacement engine with 65,000 miles, the 65,000 miles is on the odometer?

7. Jaki

Jaki New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not a replacement engine. Just low miles ☺️

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  8. Jaki

Jaki New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No pets in the car. I'll check to see if it's clogged though. It's very clean inside, but could be clogged from cycling equipment, dirt roads, etc.

9. Jaki

Jaki New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's fairly hot here (mid to high 80s). I do park in the sun, but work 9-5 so much not really driving during the hottest parts of the day.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yup check the fan asap.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    soaking in the sun is actually worse than driving in it. the inside of the car can reach some astronomical temperature. tinting and sunshades can help.

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Especially after a drive that raised the battery temps. When you park the fans shut off, it can be slow-death in there I suspect. It'd be REALLY nice if the car could continue to monitor battery temps for say 15 minutes after shut-down, and run the fan as needed. Maybe powered by the hybrid battery somehow, avoid the risk of running down the 12 volt. At least knock the edge off the heat-soak.

Anyway, kinda off topic: I think first step again: check/clean the fan. You start by pushing a gap between the rear seat and seat back, in vicinity of the fan inlet grill. There's a single 12 mm (socket size) bolt in there that needs removing. Then just basically follow your nose, pulling stuff off, tilting rear seat backs forward, pealing off velcro, another bolt, pry up the rear hatch floor panel (there are STUBBORN fasteners, you can leave most off, to make it easier for next time). Then pull off the ductwork, dig down to the fan. It can be cleaned without removal. Clean the ductwork too, and blow the dust outa everything.