1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 III FM radio - stereo imaging poor compared to CD, XM, AUX

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Editingfx, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Editingfx

Editingfx New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    JBL HU in my new 2011 III. Reception isn't horrible, and no EFI noise, but I'm only about 30 miles from city center. My issue - when compared to XM, CD (MP3s) or AUX (iPhone), the FM section has very poor stereo imaging. In other words, when using anything but FM, the stereo has great separation and fidelity. FM sounds flat, centered and overall lackluster.

Ideas?

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just to be sure, you are aware that each source has its own sound settings, bass, treble, balance, etc., independent of each other. That is about the only thing I can think of.

3. Editingfx

Editingfx New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yup. And tweaking for FM doesn't do anything for the separation.

4. DallasGuy

DallasGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Unfortunately I've seen the same results. I find that Bluetooth streaming from my iPhone has fantastic fidelity, so great that I just don't listen to FM unless it is my only option.

5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Modern analog FM receivers use a Phase Locked Loop Stereo demodulator (My patented approach circa 1971) which is capable of about 20-40 dB stereo separation when implemented correctly. Your other sources (the digital ones) are capable of better than 70dB stereo separation )limited by the stereo separation of the source materials) and the difference can be noticeable.

JeffD

1 person likes this.
  6. Editingfx

Editingfx New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ahhh... very good answer, Jeff. I wonder if the JBL HU is "poorly implemented", as it sounds subjectively worse than my two 10 year old vehicles' FM (both have decent, not amazing systems). Or is it simply the quick "A/B" of the FM vs digital sources?

Either way, the FM, it sure do suck.

7. mike52474

mike52474 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hear ya! Playing a cd sounds amazing through the jbl system while listening to the radio sounds like total crap in comparison in my 2008.

8. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I replaced the OE radio in my 2004 Prius with a Pioneer HD radio (#33HD, about $250 installed). In HD Mode (automatically invoked when the signal is reasonable in AM and FM on many channels) it compares favorably with other digital sources.

JeffD