1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 JBL head unit keeps dying

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by dll, Apr 11, 2015.

1. dll

dll New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My JBL head unit keeps dying. My 2011 Prius Three, not III, is currently on its 3rd head unit, and this one is dying also. About once per year, the head unit starts displaying gibberish on the LCD, often with horizontal lines marching upwards. As the problem persists, the display gets worse. Finally, the buttons start malfunctioning. Pressing the power button might eject a CD, pushing a radio preset button might switch to CD, etc.

Has anyone else encountered this? Given the regularity of the problem, I have to believe that this is a problem with the electronics, and not that I've gotten three bum head units in a row.

Thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    were they all under warranty?

3. dll

dll New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So far, yes. They give a 1 year warranty on parts. I'm afraid that one of these times it will be out of warranty though.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can't believe it's the units either, unless they are pulling from a bad batch. i wonder if it's getting bad voltage?

5. dll

dll New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That was my concern. The dealer doesn't seem to think so, but it would explain a lot.

6. stavesacre03

stavesacre03 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    On my 2010 IV with JBL, I've had the head unit replaced under warranty once, and now my second unit (out of warranty) is dying a similar death as you described (and my first did). I'm now researching replacement aftermarket head units.