1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Nav issue - hrs/mins to arr. v. time of arr.

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by Maine Randy, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Maine Randy

Maine Randy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Is it me, or is the Nav too stupid to allow for EDT v. EST? While fully allowing it may indeed be me, I nonetheless can not determine why, when I switch the Nav to show estimated time of arrival at destination instead of hours and mins to destination, it displays EST. So clearly, the time displayed on the dashboard isn't using the time/date function in the Nav software. Is there a Nav setting to indicate time zone?

2. n0na

n0na Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Your GPS doesn't do a good job of navigating either as it sent you to the wrong forum :).

As far as I know, the GPS satellites do not send data regarding DST. GPS data includes GPS time as well as the offset from UTC time and it's up to the firmware in the GPS receiver to convert GPS time to UTC time (there's currently a 15 to 20 second difference between the two). Then, it's also up to the GPS receiver's firmware to convert the UTC time to local time (based on GPS lattitude and longitude or by manual input). And, if you want corrections for DST, it's once again up to the firmware in the GPS receiver to do the conversion based on your location and day of the year (or by manual input). If the dates for the start and end of DST are changed by legislation, or if an adjustment is made to the geographic time zone location, you may need new firmware in your GPS receiver. Lot's of people have complained about time data accuracy from the GPS receiver due to bad or obsolete firmware and it's possible that that's your problem too.

I have a Prius v and I haven't noticed any problems with the display of arriva time. (I'm in the PDT zone and bought the car after DST went into effect this year, so I don't know if the GPS automatically switched to DST correctly or not.) There is no way to enter DST or local time information into my GPS. My GPS either uses firmware to determine how to calculate arrival time or it uses the car's clock.

Make sure of is that the car's clock is set correctly. A sophisticated system would use the GPS to set the car's clock, but Toyota isn't that sophisticated. Instead, I have to reset the car's clock any time it becomes inaccurate, we switch into or out of DST, etc. It may be that your GPS receiver uses the car's clock to determine if you are on DST or not, so you need to check that the clock is accurate. Also, make sure that the destination stored in your GPS is in the same timezone as your current location. The GPS firmware really ought to take into account the difference in timezones, but it may not.

3. parnami

parnami Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Considering gps is time driven for all of it's calculations..I'm amazed that Toyota didn't tap into it for setting he car's clocks automatically. It's all right there for the taking..why wouldn't they use it?

4. n0na

n0na Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It's my understanding that a few cars actually do use GPS to set the car's clock, but most don't. I imagine it costs a small amount of money for the electronics and firmware that would link the two together and Toyota doesn't think the average customer would notice. Has anyone noticed if "time of arrival" is given in local time at the arrival location? You'd have to travel across a time zone line in order to notice, but I'm going to guess that Toyota's GPS firmware doesn't keep track of the time zone boundaries.