1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Plug-In Supply Product Teaser :)

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by kiettyyyy, Jan 1, 2011.

1. kiettyyyy

kiettyyyy Plug-In Supply Engineer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey all! Here's some teaser photos of the results I've been seeing with additional software and electronics that I've developed. This product will be available for Plug-In Supply conversions in early 2011.

Hint: This was me driving from my house to Disneyland via California highways. The first 5 minutes was me attempting to climb a hill in EV mode, the PIS controller kicked me out of it to supplement the EV mode with additional torque from the engine. The rest of it? Pure EV mode while on the highway.

Update: Apparently people are thinking that this is the 52 MPH ICE Kill mod.. it's not. It's additional software allowing up to ~70 MPH in EV.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Happy new year!

-Kiet

3 people like this.
  2. scottsim

scottsim New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius

Kiet,

Lookin' good...I am need of some kind of revision.

Current board, installed by Robb, might have some advantages for staying in mixed mode, and the cruise control not being disabled...But, I still preferred the earlier version for using the pack occaisionally in EV mode. Drop me a note when it is in Robb's hands.

Thanks,

Scott

3. banshee08

banshee08 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Kiet,

Any news of a conversion kit for the Gen3 Prius yet??

Thanks,

Chan

4. kiettyyyy

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We just finished with the Ford Escape, so, we should be working on the Gen 3 Prius very soon.

I know we've purchased one from AutoBeYours in Indiana. Hopefully it arrives soon :)

5. kiettyyyy

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just pushed out a release around 9PM yesterday. It fixes the EV mode problems you were having. This firmware release is version 5.1.

The firmware release also has a bunch of additional functionality in anticipation of our new EV controller that will be released in a few more weeks(testing the engineering sample boards before we order the production boards)

It also adds the functionality to be coupled with a Scangauge to display custom Plug-In Supply data as an x-gauge. More information will be released soon.

-Kiet

6. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Any idea what the cost of the new system will be?

7. kiettyyyy

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We're estimating that the cost will remain the same at $11,995.

8. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    After looking over your web site, I am very interested in it. But I have concerns about your products huge claims, when compared to your competitors. I hope your product lives up to the claims.

I would love to use EV only mode up to 52mph. I always thought the 34mph limit of the other kits, was to low for me to be useful.

9. scottsim

scottsim New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Works for me, more info here:
    www.smilingdogsranch.com/priusblog

Scott

10. adric22

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'd be interested to see what your 0-52 speed is. (obviously, you can't do 0-60) I'm curious how the Prius accelerates in pure-EV. This is really hard to test on my setup because obviously I can only do EV mode to 34 mph, and even so I can't really "floor it" without the I.C.E. coming on. In your case, you should be able to do the test properly. Then maybe we can do 0-52 in a regular Prius to see what the difference is, and maybe come up with a mathematical model to get an approx 0-60 time (just for the purpose of comparing acceleration to other cars, since we obviously know the car can't do 60 mph in this mode)

11. scottsim

scottsim New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Acceleration in pure EV mode?...Slow but tolerable, on the flat. Probably takes me >20sec to get to 52mph (forgettabout that instant EV torque). I usually do this only when there is more than one lane or little traffic, trying to minimize the bullet-holes from the
    impatient...I will time this soon and post here.

12. adric22

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    OK, thanks, I'd really appreciate knowing this information. Also, do you have a scanguage II? I'd be interested to see how many amps you are pulling during this test, and also how many amps you pull just keeping the car moving at 50+ mph on a flat ground.

13. kiettyyyy

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wait... I thought I made it clear on my original post.. This is NOT the 52 MPH EV mode mod.

This is using additional software to allow up to ~70 MPH in EV mode.

You're actually able to get SLIGHTLY more power out of the battery pack while using this software, rather than using the 52 MPH ICE kill modification.

It actually makes accelerating up to 60 MPH somewhat alright...

14. scottsim

scottsim New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Was just about 18sec 0-52 on the way home last eve...will repeat a few times and also try to do the scanguage test.

15. adric22

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Cool, I'd say 18 seconds isn't too bad. That is right on par with many home-built electric car conversions. I know to most people that would sound bad because they expect to hear expressions like "0-60 in 8 seconds" or something like that. But for typical daily driving, it is rare to need that much power. It sounds like you should be able to keep up with traffic reasonably well. Now I'm awaiting to hear your scanguage results!

16. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sorry I didn't see that. But it makes my point even more urgent, if you're claiming even higher numbers.

17. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Kiet, 2011 is almost over. At the beginning of this topic you said the new product would be available early 2011.

I have still not received updated boards/software for our PIS customers at Boulder Hybrid Conversions that were promised in early 2011. Robb is always making excuses.

Either the upgrade doesn't exist or PIS doesn't care about supporting their installed base/resellers...not cool.

3 people like this.
  18. kiettyyyy

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm. Interesting. I know of quite a few customers in San Diego and up in the bay area that have the latest software and circuit boards... If you haven't gotten anything, you need to talk to Robb and not address this over a forum.

I just design the electronics and software. I also provide customer support.

19. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Kiettyyy,
    Hmm, Interesting. I have not seen any post from anyone, other than you, that has the new PIS 4kwhr system.

I do not doubt what you are saying, but when we do not see the confirmation from the actual users then we really do wonder what is happening.

I have had 2 potential customers ask me about this and the lack of customer confirmation has them not willing to proceed.

I would think that Robb would want to contact Paul and be sure the Paul has the latest and greatest. That is just good marketing.

Thanks,
    Dan

1 person likes this.
  20. kiettyyyy

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Dan,

Whoah. That's incorrect. I don't have a 4 kWh system, nor did I ever say I did. I just had it for a brief amount of time while I developed software for the Gen 3 Prius..

I think Robb has shipped a few 4 kWh units, but, the customers/dealers have not installed them into vehicles yet..

I'm talking about customers using the new ECM controller.